Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia PureView 808 - 41 megapixel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Vodafone customer services have just told me that they are getting the Nokia pureview 808.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

mrs aol wrote: »
    Vodafone customer services have just told me that they are getting the Nokia pureview 808.

Interesting to see what price on pay as you go - probably same price as sim free off Amazon.

Would want to offer a competitive package on contract to make it worthwhile with the Emobile/Tesco unlimited packages out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Did they give any hint of a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

No, I asked and he said he didn't know. All he did say was that was coming.

I must admit I haven't seen this said anywhere else but it was just this morning I rang them myself. I hope he wasn't mistaken. He didn't know off the top of his head he checked a list of up coming devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

No, I asked and he said he didn't know. All he did say was that was coming.

I must admit I haven't seen this said anywhere else but it was just this morning I rang them myself. I hope he wasn't mistaken. He didn't know off the top of his head he checked a list of up coming devices.

I've been told the same in shops but more often they just say they haven't a clue what's coming until it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Good news all the same. Given both the 808 and the Galaxy S3 are approx €600 simfree I'd imagine looking at the current Vodafone S3 price plans will give a rough idea of what kinda deal the 808'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Blut2 wrote: »
    Good news all the same. Given both the 808 and the Galaxy S3 are approx €600 simfree I'd imagine looking at the current Vodafone S3 price plans will give a rough idea of what kinda deal the 808'll get.

Will believe it when I see it from somewhere official

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I don't believe that for one minute that voda are stocking this,no uk retailer is,symbian has less than 1% market share over there,which means it's worse here.
    Could be wrong though time will tell,I've asked them several times on twitter and no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

we worked it out in store there when i was buying my s3 in cpw and it worked out at 1900 for a basic package from vodafone over the 18 months i think it was.
    ended up being cheaper go simfree but fronting the money rather than paying it over time as you do on billpay with pretty serious interest :D

@above poster. symbians market share is not importatn here.. advertising should be done for such a phone. people are (i hope) becoming more aware that Mp count isnt everything, but nokias oversampling idea is awesome.
    it wont revive the OS, but i think there will be a few interested parties in this phone.

kenyard wrote: »

we worked it out in store there when i was buying my s3 in cpw and it worked out at 1900 for a basic package from vodafone over the 18 months i think it was.
    ended up being cheaper go simfree but fronting the money rather than paying it over time as you do on billpay with pretty serious interest :D

@above poster. symbians market share is not importatn here.. advertising should be done for such a phone. people are (i hope) becoming more aware that Mp count isnt everything, but nokias oversampling idea is awesome.
    it wont revive the OS, but i think there will be a few interested parties in this phone.

Of course market share is important the OS is is key, for this phone it's a very niche market,where the OS is dead.

• Advertisement

Vodafone are not stocking this....had to drag it out of them on a social media website..

Ordered my Nokia Pureview 808 in Black. :D

From Amazon ITALY -

Articoli: EUR 495,04
    Costi di spedizione: EUR 15,81
    Totale IVA esclusa: EUR 510,85
    IVA: EUR 117,49
    Totale ordine: EUR 628,34

So €628.34 to the door with express delivery - here by Thursday.

With economy (3-5 working days) it would have been about €615.

This is probably the cheapest option so far for the Black 808 - (I hope :eek:) if I had used Amazon UK it was working out at €704.

Cheapest option for the WHITE version delivered via Amazon France would be €605 with standard delivery.

Ordered my Nokia Pureview 808 in Black. :D

From Amazon ITALY -

Articoli: EUR 495,04
    Costi di spedizione: EUR 15,81
    Totale IVA esclusa: EUR 510,85
    IVA: EUR 117,49
    Totale ordine: [COLOR="Red"]EUR 628,34 [/COLOR]

So €628.34 to the door with express delivery - here by Thursday.

With economy (3-5 working days) it would have been about €615.

This is probably the cheapest option so far for the Black 808 - (I hope :eek:) if I had used Amazon UK it was working out at €704.

Cheapest option for the WHITE version delivered via Amazon France would be €605 with standard delivery.

Did you not like the white one?
    Personally I like the red..

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Did you not like the white one?
    Personally I like the red..

Not enough to want to save €15 and wait an extra 2 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am surprised there has not been more interest in this device.

Gsmarena did a comparison between the 808, a Canon 5D SLR (costs $3.5k! and an Iphone 4s. The Iphone was smashed to pieces but even more amazingly, there was only a very slight difference between the 5D and the 808.

Here's the pics, they are obviously cropped to show the detail.

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_001.jpg

Oh, and for good measure :D

shut-up-and-take-my-money-gif.gif

Well did somebody get a delivery today????

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

My unboxing vid and review vid are going up in the next day or 2.

So far, very impressed with how fast symbian belle runs on the phone, but the phone does freeze quite often, resulting in me having to pull out the battery and re-insert it.

The camera took a few days to get my head around the settings but I think automatic shots are best for me, I don't know my photography too well!

Going to Madonna on tuesday, so I will be recording the concert with the pureview, hope it doesnt let me down.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Video unboxing now online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhG8CrhlEQ&list=UUeNE0jYgVNWoL1PpGs2lkQw&index=0&feature=plcp

Stay tuned for review coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

jayjay2010 wrote: »

Looking forward to this.

• Advertisement

Got my 808 from Amazon Italy.

Here is my review:

Wow.

:D

Some stunning low-light photos generated by the 808.

7930223176_4e56c34871_c.jpg

7930221678_48bb00852d_c.jpg

I wish I could afford one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Is there a reason that they couldn't have launched a version of the 808 with Windows Phone instead of Symbian?

Lack of imagination?

Technically,the software was written for the symbian OS, and thus needs to be ported to the Windows 7/7.5/8. The software is quite deeply integrated into the OS So, it needs Nokia to work very closely with Microsoft in order for the Windows OS to work the camera.

SO it needs resources, and that takes commitment at a high level. And takes imagination to see that the camera is a killer Unique Selling Point that makes Nokia stand out from the crowd.

Unfortunately all we got was a warmed over Lumia with a few incremental improvements and a clever anti shake system, rather than a gob-stopping camera phone. If only..........

Ah well. I'll stick with the N8, no point in downgrading, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads is it released already or not? I confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Lack of imagination?

Technically,the software was written for the symbian OS, and thus needs to be ported to the Windows 7/7.5/8. The software is quite deeply integrated into the OS So, it needs Nokia to work very closely with Microsoft in order for the Windows OS to work the camera.

But Samsung/HTC/LG are all capable of creating handsets that are composed of tech that's come from Android phones. Surely that's no harder than porting Symbian based hardware/systems?

I'm sure MS would provide enormous technical assistance as well.

As you point out, the 808 camera is a serious differentiator for Nokia, a real standout USP.

And what do they do? After Elop goes on about Symbian being a burning platform (ie. dead), they still release their sweetest and most desirable piece of hardware with this 'dead' software whilst lumbering their flagship range (in OS terms) with a massively inferior camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lads is it released already or not? I confused.

The 808 yes it is since June.

The windows versions just announced so maybe this is the confusion

quad_red wrote: »
    But Samsung/HTC/LG are all capable of creating handsets that are composed of tech that's come from Android phones. Surely that's no harder than porting Symbian based hardware/systems?

I'm sure MS would provide enormous technical assistance as well.

As you point out, the 808 camera is a serious differentiator for Nokia, a real standout USP.

And what do they do? After Elop goes on about Symbian being a burning platform (ie. dead), they still release their sweetest and most desirable piece of hardware with this 'dead' software whilst lumbering their flagship range (in OS terms) with a massively inferior camera.

True, they are totally capable of doing it, it's just that they haven't, so it must be down to a failure of management.

In my experience, the biggest failure of top management in these companies is the willingness to be imaginative - it's sort of a by-product of big companies, being imaginative and risk-taking won't get you into middle management, and you won't get to top management unless you've been through middle management.

It's why start-ups are worth so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Davy wrote: »
    The 808 yes it is since June.

The windows versions just announced so maybe this is the confusion

windows version of 808 or you talking about 920 m8?

Advertisement