Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia PureView 808 - 41 megapixel

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

They're using "pureview" as a marketing term now - there is no sign of the 41 mpixel sensor in the Lumia range, just the shock absorbing mounting for an 8 megapixel sensor.

Bit of a mistake, in my view. Had they put the 41 in to the 920, and added a few old school Nokia tricks like FM transmitter, then I think they'd have had a bit of a winner on their hands.

As it is the market has spoken, 17% drop in an already low share price. The new 920 pureview is totally "so what", when they really needed a "wow!".

As I say, lack of imagination at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

They're using "pureview" as a marketing term now - there is no sign of the 41 mpixel sensor in the Lumia range, just the shock absorbing mounting for an 8 megapixel sensor.

But the shock absorbing mounting isn't even in the 808. It's a totally new piece of tech for the 920. And by the looks of it, it's quite neat.

But by comparing it to the behemoth mega sensor capabilities in the 808 (by calling it the same thing), they are prodigiously under-delivering and thereby screwing their new product royally before it even gets out of the gate.

Agreed. Shame, really. Reminds me of the final dark days of Palm, without the everchanging bespoke connectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No idea of prices either. I think Nokia is going to price themselves out of the market tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

BostonB wrote: »
    No idea of prices either. I think Nokia is going to price themselves out of the market tbh.

It's 480 for the 820 and 600 for the 920.

• Advertisement

Ah, well. That's out then. Shame. Maybe a secondhand 808 when the N8 is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Bit of a mistake, in my view. Had they put the 41 in to the 920, and added a few old school Nokia tricks like FM transmitter, then I think they'd have had a bit of a winner on their hands.

As it is the market has spoken, 17% drop in an already low share price. The new 920 pureview is totally "so what", when they really needed a "wow!".

As I say, lack of imagination at the top.

+1. They really are the authors of their own misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

the software and drives it uses as such are all made for symbian OS.
    i had asked about this already, if it were possible to put an android rom on it and was told it would be incredibly incredibly hard due to whatever way it is programmed or how the camera works being based off needing symbian

it was 5 years in the making and symbian was a compeditive OS then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

kenyard wrote: »
    i had asked about this already, if it were possible to put an android rom on it and was told it would be incredibly incredibly hard due to whatever way it is programmed or how the camera works being based off needing symbian

yes, true, good point. But a decent camera at the level of the N8, combined with FM transmitter and put on Android and they would have a good seller. They should offer this as an alternative while Windows (hopefully) takes hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

kenyard wrote: »

I don't understand that to be honest.

They are basically saying that they cannot write Windows Phone OS drivers for the camera unit. Neither can they run some sort of emulation to run the existing ones.

So they've this incredible piece of bloody hardware which was just bloody launched last year and they have no idea of how to use it in an OS that isn't dead (by their own admission).

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The Nokia 808 PureView is one of the best camera phones ever made, but now a new software update is set to improve the revolutionary device even further.
    This update will enhance the imaging experience on your 808 PureView, and lucky owners will know that it is already pretty fantastic!

After the update has been installed on your Nokia 808 PureView you will benefit from all these new imaging features:

Gallery Grid view when you have the phone in landscape
    Access to more functions when you open your images from the Gallery widget on your home screen – swipe through other images, zoom, share, edit, and send images faster.
    More information about your images, such as image resolution, ISO value, white balance setting, and file size, and the location. When you are connected online, one click will show you on Nokia Maps where the photo was taken.
    Select and delete multiple photos in Gallery Grid
    New reset button in Creative mode to change all the settings back to default with a single touch

As well as all those imaging enhancements, this software update will also enable you to use these new functions on your phone:

Updated browser (to version 8.3) with enhanced HTML5 support
    New and significantly faster keyboard
    Nokia Car Mode – easy access to your phone’s key features when you’re driving
    Getting the update

This software update is being rolled out globally from today, 2 October. However, there may be regional variations in the precise delivery due to country and operator variants.

To check if the update is available for you and to install the update, connect the phone to your PC and open Nokia Suite, or alternatively check the Software Update application on your device.

The Nokia 603, Nokia 700 and Nokia 701 will also get an update that includes the features such as the faster browser and Nokia Car Mode.

However, the imaging and gallery enhancements are for the Nokia 808 PureView only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

does anyone know if Nokia has released different versions of the 808. Are there different spec 808's available. Thinking of ordering one. 420e from Singapore or 750 from UK. Any reason for the massive variance? Cheaper one from reliable ebay seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dr ro wrote: »
    does anyone know if Nokia has released different versions of the 808. Are there different spec 808's available. Thinking of ordering one. 420e from Singapore or 750 from UK. Any reason for the massive variance? Cheaper one from reliable ebay seller.

750 :confused:

It's 430 on amazon sim free, or was might be back to 450 now. Don't forget customs when buying outside EU

Advertisement