Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a licence to sell replica jerseys online?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all.

I was just wondering if anyone would know if you need to get a licence of some sort to sell official replica shirts online?

Also, is there anything else I would need to start doing this, other than stock of course :).

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I'd assume that most of the major clubs would have their logo trade marked, so for example you could see a green & white hooped jersey but if you put a celtic logo on it you'd need to pay celtic a licence fee, perhaps "retro" shirts might help you get around this, but its probably a niche market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bobbymoore1

Yeah I had a feeling that might be the case, it's certainly a conjested area, but looking at cost price it's hard to justify the RRP.

My hope was that I could obtain some sort of authorized seller licence and pay for that rather than individual royalty payments. Google isn't really all that helpful in this case unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Unlikely. The club has to maximize its revenue, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i suspect you will find its even more complicated than that. the shirts will all be made by one company, eg addidas, umbro etc

for each team

and chances are your not even allowed to make your own versions, and so your cost price is not relevant as you will have to pay what those suppliers and distrubutors charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

You'll only need a licence if you are manufacturing the jerseys. If you are just reselling the jerseys you don't have to worry about it.

• Advertisement

The Dagda wrote: »
    You'll only need a licence if you are manufacturing the jerseys. If you are just reselling the jerseys you don't have to worry about it.

That sounds a bit more promising. So I could literally buy stock and start selling?

Thanks for the feedback too, it's greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

That sounds a bit more promising. So I could literally buy stock and start selling?

Yes you can literally just buy stock and start selling. Good luck to you.

The Dagda wrote: »

Yes you can literally just buy stock and start selling. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The only thing to watch out for would be if your source wasn't licensed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You would need to do them for £12 or less to match Chinese imports. Otherwise you have to prove your credibility and market more than the big sports companies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement