Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad 2 Or android Tab?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey guys. Really want a tablet cos I got a better job and I can afford one! I want an iPad because its an iPad, but is it as good as android? Eventhough all i want to do really is mess about on the internet, youtube, facebook and stuff, I dont want to buy the product that is slightly inferior in comparison to the other. I would love to be able to download torrents but is this possible with either of them?

I really want the iPad, but am I shooting myself in the foot by not getting an android, seeing as it has some etra features over the ipad, primarily you can copy film files onto it and watch them? Not a huge techno buff here, so I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks a million guys.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The iPad is probably easier to use but has lots of restrictions that the Android doesn't have.
    You can do much more with the Android.

If it was me I would get the Android (Motorola Xoom if you ask :) )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ballyman wrote: »
    The iPad is probably easier to use but has lots of restrictions that the Android doesn't have.
    You can do much more with the Android.

If it was me I would get the Android (Motorola Xoom if you ask :) )

Can you elaborate? I'm interested in the differences myself.

Well for a start you have expandable memory (you can add a 32GB card to the Xoom)
    You have a HDMI output without having to pay for some stupid adaptor
    You can tether your tablet to your pc or phone so you have a 3G connection without having to pay more money to your provider for another 3G connection
    You can't download torrents to the iPad
    You don't have an accessible file manager system on the iPad
    You can connect your tab to any pc you like with having to have iTunes
    You can watch flash videos on your tab
    You or anyone else can develop any app you like and download it to your tab without having to ask Apples approval.
    It integrates with Google like nothing else so if you use google docs, gmail, calendar, music etc then EVERYTHING is sync'd together so when you drop the phone or tab down the toilet EVERYTHING is alread backed up to Google. Wirelessly.

It just goes on and on and on. I can't understand why anyone would want an iAnything over an Android to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ballyman wrote: »
    Well for a start you have expandable memory (you can add a 32GB card to the Xoom)
    You have a HDMI output without having to pay for some stupid adaptor
    You can tether your tablet to your pc or phone so you have a 3G connection without having to pay more money to your provider for another 3G connection
    You can't download torrents to the iPad
    You don't have an accessible file manager system on the iPad
    You can connect your tab to any pc you like with having to have iTunes
    You can watch flash videos on your tab
    You or anyone else can develop any app you like and download it to your tab without having to ask Apples approval.
    It integrates with Google like nothing else so if you use google docs, gmail, calendar, music etc then EVERYTHING is sync'd together so when you drop the phone or tab down the toilet EVERYTHING is alread backed up to Google. Wirelessly.

It just goes on and on and on. I can't understand why anyone would want an iAnything over an Android to be honest.

First 2 are more down to manufacturer rather than Android, aren't they?
    Tethering down to Provider, rather than iPad/iPhone?
    Torrents, ok one thing. Flash, which is being killed off, another.
    File system - Why would you want that?
    You can develop through Cydia and avoid Apple.
    You don't have to connect iPad to a PC/Mac.
    iPad syncs with iCloud or Google. Wirelessly.

It doesn't go on and on really.

Why did you bother asking if that was your response?

I couldn't be bothered arguing with you so enjoy your iWhatever you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Ballyman raised some good points there. In my honest opinion Apple is a load of bollox so il will keep my statement brief. Apple is very strict in terms of terms of their software, Android on the other hand is open source and users are encouraged to build upon it. And lets remember when Apple tried to kill flash because steve didnt like it. In terms of spec I belive the Samsung galaxy tab10.1 is better.

My mother has one and praises it to heaven, my tech savy brother thinks a lot of it aswell.

AND you can get anyandroid app for free by allowing unknown sources and downloading the .apk however always buy the app to support the devs. Apple needs to be jailbroken instead.

also the Android logo is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

We've a Motorola Xoom at work, and nobody really likes it for various reasons. It's running an old version of Android though, which doesn't help (but some reasons are just how it feels). The Samsung looks nice though, I'd like to have a go on one of them.

I've an iPad, and while it can't do everything that other tablets can do, very few of these differences are actually relevant for me, so it's grand for me. It's not a laptop replacement (no tablet is yet, IMO), so not being able to torrent etc is a non-issue. But I'll probably get called a fanboy for saying that.

I got it a little while ago though, when the Android alternatives weren't great at that time from what I remember. I think the only one for around the same price as I got mine (second hand) was the Archos 101 which is a very cheap feeling yoke.
    Farcheal wrote:
    And lets remember when Apple tried to kill flash because steve didnt like it

I'm delighted that Flash for all mobiles is on the way out. Anyone who doesn't like Apple's "closed shop" should be too. It's a PITA technology on desktop browsers, let alone mobiles, and it's used way more often than necessary.

If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that the fanboys on both sides of the argument are equally annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 yuki2012

The iPad is known for having an easy-to-use touchscreen. At the time of publication, Android tablet simply do not have the sort of responsiveness in the screen that the Apple iPad does.

With the Android system, many other competitors have started to come out with tablets that are similar to the iPad. If

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

Check out the Easypad 970 for a very good low priced alternative to the entry level iPad.

Android 2.3 but upgrade to 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich available for free. 9.7" Screen, nearly identical to the iPad 1.

Cost less than €300!!!!

If it was me, I would go for Android tablet. It can do pretty much anything an iPad can, but has some features which the iPad doesn't (one being I don't have to install that crapware called iTunes!). I like the drag and drop to put music, movies, photos etc onto it.

OP, what I would say is go into your local shop that sells both of them, and spend 10 mins playing with two comparable models and see what you like better.

You may find this interesting.
    http://skattertech.com/2011/03/infographic-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-vs-apple-ipad-2-vs-hp-touchpad-vs-lg-g-slate/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

If I were you I would wait until the ipad 3 is released at the end of March. Even if you're not interested it will push the ipad 2 price down about €100. As for Android, I have a Galaxy tab 10.1 and it's great but if I was buying now I think the best tablet experience out there is currently the asus transformer Prime which is simply awesome!
    http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/

Advertisement