Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst birthday present

• 27-02-2012 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Tomorrow I'm 21, I was under the impression that people get good gifts from their parents when they reach this milestone but it's not true for me.

The old man came into the house an hour ago with a big box all wrapped up in lovely wrapping paper. I walked over to him wondering what was going to be in the box, he handed it to me and said to open it. I opened her up and there was a rabbit trap in it, the price was still on it: €12.25, I told him how great it was and he was saying that rabbits were cleaning out the place. We spoke for a short while longer then he went off to have a shower.

He was 100% serious throughout this conversation and was genuinely thought that I would love a rabbit trap for my 21st birthday. My brother thinks it's hilarious, for his 21st he got a ferret and the necessary apparatus for ferreting. I get a shitty fucking rabbit trap. My mother is going to have a fit when she gets home from work.

I shouldn't have expected any better from him though, he usually doesn't bother with gifts.

So AH has anyone on here got a worse present than a rabbit trap?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

A net of satsumas. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Sounds like a hoax to me ... wait until tomorrow, there might be a Ferarri in the driveway yet! ;)

And happy birthday, for what it's worth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

21st birthday aren't that big over here. It's more of an American thing where becoming 21 means you can legally vote, drink, etc. It's a celebration of becoming a fully-fledged adult.

I got a car for every birthday, Christmas day, and any other holiday since I was 2.

Always wanted a rabbit trap though :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Considering you nearly set fire to the house and stank the place out with petrol you are lucky you got anything!

Now go out a get a rabbit!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

A friend of mine gave me a Fruit Cake in Zanzibar for my 21st.

I don't believe the Fruit Cake made it home that evening....

• Advertisement

Considering you nearly set fire to the house and stank the place out with petrol you are lucky you got anything!

oi oi ??

What does one do when ferreting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Not to worry OP.

And happy birthday!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Your dad could have saved a fortune if he gave you a lamp and a hurley.

Isn't it the same thing as felching ?

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »

What about the cake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Richard Gere.http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/celebrities/a/richard_gere.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Seachmall wrote: »
    21st birthday aren't that big over here.

Where's here?

Have you never seen tallafornia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

So the ferret is stuck in the rabbit trap?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm 21, I was under the impression that people get good gifts from their parents when they reach this milestone but it's not true for me.

It's not your birthday yet,wait until tomorrow and see what they get you. I'm sure they have a party planned for you.

Happy Birthday, hope you have a great day.
    It's all down hill from here on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Maybe you're getting a rabbit tomorrow.

Don't go putting diesel into the rabbit trap now OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I know a women who's nick name is rabbit trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

One birthday, two people I know each got me a small pewter wizard. they didnt know the other was getting one either which makes me question what people think about me. I dont even like wizards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

They didn't find out about that ;) . I would if I knew what bait to put in it.

Throw a ferret down a rabbit hole then catch the rabbits in a net when they go running out, it's great sport.
    hondasam wrote: »
    It's not your birthday yet,wait until tomorrow and see what they get you. I'm sure they have a party planned for you.

Happy Birthday, hope you have a great day.
    It's all down hill from here on :pac:

I severely doubt it, the old man's gone as tight as a ducks ass recently. I've organised my own party already, there's a hundred people said they'd come on Facebook to the local pub, should be a good night.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

Don't go putting diesel into the rabbit trap now OP.

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

A Chinese fan from an ex. It was horrific.
    Lately I got underwear that didn't fit. Apparently he looked at the size jeans I wear & went into the shop to pick out what he liked.
    He didn't take into consideration that my boobs are a good bit bigger than my arse.
    And no, there are no pics... At least not ones I want to share with AH ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I got a hb romantica...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

My mate got a combined birthday and christmas present from his ex a few years ago. Starts off pretty bad immediately considering his birthday is in February. Turned out she'd gone out and got her hair and make up professionally done and then went to a photographer for some professional prints of herself. Then she presented him with this in his house on christmas day. He'd bought her an expensive camera she wanted.

Needless to say he grew a pair of balls and just 8 months later broke up with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

my sister gave me 3 maltesters for my birthday before. I mean they're nice and all but their value only amounts to about a euro eighty. I wasnt too happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Seachmall wrote: »
    21st birthday aren't that big over here. It's more of an American thing where becoming 21 means you can legally vote, drink, etc. It's a celebration of becoming a fully-fledged adult.

I got a car for every birthday, Christmas day, and any other holiday since I was 2.

Always wanted a rabbit trap though :(.
    You got a car for EVERY birthday and Christmas from the age of 2???!??!???? Any chance your folks would adopt me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

For my eleventh birthday my nana gave me a happy birthday son card and a read along cinderella book for ages five to eight :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What about the cake?

It fell in to the Liffey afterwards and drowned.
    Pulled in by a strong currant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A donkey ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

They didn't find out about that ;) . I would if I knew what bait to put in it.

Burned the house down aye? Goodman!

Put carrots in then use a stick to dispatch the catch, it's where the carrot and stick saying came from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Clothes that were too small. A toaster and car mats from my ex husband while we were engaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

The old man came into the house an hour ago with a big box all wrapped up in lovely wrapping paper. I walked over to him wondering what was going to be in the box, he handed it to me and said to open it. I opened her up and there was a rabbit trap in it, the price was still on it: €12.25, I told him how great it was and he was saying that rabbits were cleaning out the place. We spoke for a short while longer then he went off to have a shower.

He was 100% serious throughout this conversation and was genuinely thought that I would love a rabbit trap for my 21st birthday. My brother thinks it's hilarious, for his 21st he got a ferret and the necessary apparatus for ferreting. I get a shitty fucking rabbit trap. My mother is going to have a fit when she gets home from work.

I shouldn't have expected any better from him though, he usually doesn't bother with gifts.

You should be grateful of your new rabbit trap, it's the thought that counts. Perhaps you father was trying the use the rabbit trap as a euphemism to suggest not to go starting a family yet, breeding like a rabbit yet ... get it, rabbit trap.

*gets coat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

You should be grateful of your new rabbit trap, it's the thought that counts. Perhaps you father was trying the use the rabbit trap as a euphemism to suggest not to go starting a family yet, breeding like a rabbit yet ... get it, rabbit trap.

*gets coat*

byee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

The worst flower in the world... carnations! Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Not a birthday gift, but for Valentines day my then boyfriend got me a box of cigarettes and - I **** you not - a euro scratch card. If I hadn't laughed my ass off so much, I'd have gone slap happy on his face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

An ex of mine gave me one of presents shortly after midnight and said 'if you dont like it, il keep it'. It was an album of a singer i hated and funnily enough, she loved. She knew this because of continuous arguments in the car about changing the radio station when one of his songs came on. 'no, thanks love, il keep it', i replied. Gave it to my mate the next day though,
    good times, good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Obviously your parents want you to kill the ferret. Your real present will be given upon presentation of it's pelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Happy birthday.

You never know, you might get something decent later. And no I can't top the rabbit trap, I normally get class presents because I drop so many hints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Op you can go rabbit hunting now... then feed your dad with so much rabbit for dinner. he'll never starve again. Genius.

happy birthday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To get nothing for your birthday! It sucks :( its the thought that counts not how good or bad a gift is! A card do me fine rather someone forget it but its the thought that counts though, if they can remember my birthday I be happy with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I got a "Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl" card from my Gran for my 21st with a photograph of a complete stranger in it.

I was single at the time and always was/still am of the male variety. Never asked about the photo, too scared :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tacofries wrote: »
    my sister gave me 3 maltesters for my birthday before. I mean they're nice and all but their value only amounts to about a euro eighty. I wasnt too happy.

3 Maltesters for €1.80? How much was it for a packet of em?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i got a girl pregnant on my 19th bday.
    first night with her and all.

OP, can i borrow your rabbit trap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Plazaman wrote: »
    I got a "Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl" card from my Gran for my 21st with a photograph of a complete stranger in it.

I was single at the time and always was/still am of the male variety. Never asked about the photo, too scared :(

did you sleep with your granny? and just got of a picture of your aunt/daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

the earldom of tyrconnell:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I told him how great it was and he was saying that rabbits were cleaning out the place. We spoke for a short while longer then he went off to have a shower.

My mother is going to have a fit when she gets home from work.

Why did you feel the need to tell us he went off to have a shower, its not relevant to the thread and adds nothing to your dismay at getting such a crap present?

Why will your mother have a fit, is she epileptic?? Can she predict seizures? Here are some things you should do/not do:

How to help during a seizure

• Protect the person from injury.
    • Keep him or her from falling if you can, or try to guide the person gently to the floor.
    • Try to move furniture or other objects that might injure the person during the seizure.
    • If the person is having a seizure and is on the ground when you arrive, try to position the person on his or her side so that fluid can leak out of the mouth. But be careful not to apply too much pressure to the body.
    • Do not force anything, including your fingers, into the person's mouth. Putting something in the person's mouth may cause injuries to him or her, such as chipped teeth or a fractured jaw. You could also get bitten.
    • Do not try to hold down or move the person. This can cause injury, such as a dislocated shoulder.
    • How to help after a seizure
    • Check the person for injuries.
    • If you could not turn the person onto his or her side during the seizure, do so when the seizure ends and the person is more relaxed.
    • If the person is having trouble breathing, use your finger to gently clear his or her mouth of any vomit or saliva. If this does not work, call for emergency help.
    • Loosen tight clothing around the person's neck and waist.
    • Provide a safe area where the person can rest.
    • Do not offer anything to eat or drink until the person is fully awake and alert.
    • Stay with the person until he or she is awake and familiar with the surroundings. Most people will be sleepy or confused after a seizure.
    • Things to watch for during a seizure
    • You may be able to provide valuable feedback to the doctor treating the person having the seizure. Try to remember:

• How the person's body moved.
    • How long the seizure lasted.
    • How the person acted before the seizure.
    • How the person acted immediately after the seizure.
    • Whether the person suffered any injuries from the seizure.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

My sister gave me a horrible pair of size 18 jeans for my 17th birthday (I was a 12). Didn't talk to her until my 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

MugMugs wrote: »

Is that Prison Slang?

Why did you make your friends go all the way to Zanzibar for your birthday? No wonder you got crap presents....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Evie90 wrote: »
    My sister gave me a horrible pair of size 18 jeans for my 17th birthday (I was a 12). Didn't talk to her until my 18th.

Ah so they fitted you a year later.

Happy ending to that story so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement