Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOTO GP 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

tinyjiney wrote: »
    How come the "best rider in the world" (Rossi) is way down the order...:confused:

I admire all of them (includind the TT, road racers(real) even the guys in Mondello ..but to say they're of a poorer breed is a slap in the face i think...they ride just as hard, the bikes might not be up there but their hearts surely are...;)
    He might have been a great rider but on the current machinery he hasn't a chance, he unlike CS seems unable to adapt his riding style to suit the machine.
    I think all the racers have huge talent, road guys especially but the simple fact is that MotoGP bikes are a huge challenge to ride fast and not everyone can ride them at race pace, look at the gap between the top 3 and the bottom 3.
    I am not questioning anyones heart or commitment but just being honest, the top guys are miles above anyone else.
    WSBK is like a version of Moto2 with gruntier engines and better electronics, MotoGP (not CRT) is another level entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

How come the "best rider in the world" (Rossi) is way down the order...:confused:

Cos Ducati can't/won't get the bike set up right for him and his riding style.
    h3000 wrote: »
    Simple answer: He can't ride the Duke

Yes and no. Each rider has their own style of riding a bike. Stoner is a throttle man, Hayden is a throttle man. Rossi is a brake man. The Ducati suits anybody who is a throttle man. Stoner powers out of corners (hence the mad slides) Rossi prefers to brake later and drop the bike deep into the corners, and the Duke can't do it. They helped it a little bit by jacking up the rear ever so slightly and so putting more weight on the front to plant it more, but it's not enough to give Vale the confidence he needs to feel in the bike in order to push harder.

So he can't ride the bike because of the way the bike is, not because he can't ride a bike. He didn't get 9 world titles by fluke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

So he can't ride the bike because of the way the bike is, not because he can't ride a bike. He didn't get 9 world titles by fluke!!

Ah now I never said nor implied any lack of talent on his part. I'm a huge Vale fan and as you said he did not win all his titles by fluke. I takes a great rider, bike and team to do so. He just can't take to the Ducati's characteristics. That said I don't think we will ever see the Vale of his championship years even if he had a Honda or Yamaha.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He just can't take to the Ducati's characteristics.

He still managed to qualify two tenths faster and race faster than Hayden though...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/17985779

Ducati planning new engine, probably with a V angle less than 90 degrees (like Honda) for better packaging

Scrap the cap!

What a stupid response...

:rolleyes:
    I watch all forms of two wheel action and to say that the riders outside of motogp are of a "lower level" is an insult to them.....45 mins on a gp bike ..theres not much difference nowadays with the superbikes...let Stoner and co. do it twice a meeting..His arm would explode.....:rolleyes:

Like it or not, MotoGP is the highest level of the sport, look at the WSBK champions who couldn't cut it in GPs.

Stoner wouldn't have the arm pump problem on a SBK - no carbon brakes.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yikert

I cant add much that hasnt already been said but Im enjoying the argument. Stoner is on fire this year, the slo-mo shots are scary!!

Ah now I never said nor implied any lack of talent on his part. I'm a huge Vale fan and as you said he did not win all his titles by fluke.

Ah yeah, no worries. I wasn't having a go chief.
    I takes a great rider, bike and team to do so. He just can't take to the Ducati's characteristics.

Yep, and the rider and most of the engineering team are willing and able, but the powers that be aren't doing all they can unfortunately.
    That said I don't think we will ever see the Vale of his championship years even if he had a Honda or Yamaha.

No, I think you may be right. As sad as it is, I think he's passed his sell by date and there are a lot of younger, quicker, hungrier riders out there and up-and-coming from Moto2.
    ninja900 wrote: »
    Ducati planning new engine, probably with a V angle less than 90 degrees (like Honda) for better packaging

Yeah, I heard that alright. Some of it is to do with weight re-distribution too. Hope it works for them.
    Yikert wrote: »
    Stoner is on fire this year, the slo-mo shots are scary!!

As much as I dislike the crying, whinging little dingo, you're right. His power slides are amazing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Just watched the MotoGP race yesterday. Not much of a race, Stoner had it under control for the first lap. Imagine if he was fully fit, he'd annihilate the opposition. Much too good for these. Can they find anyone to challenge him?

Just watched the MotoGP race yesterday. Not much of a race, Stoner had it under control for the first lap. Imagine if he was fully fit
    He is fit I thought? He had some issues with arm pump but thats due to the chatter from the bike rather than an injury.
    If HRC can fix the chatter early this season, you won't see CS27 for the rest of the year.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    He is fit I thought? He had some issues with arm pump but thats due to the chatter from the bike rather than an injury.
    If HRC can fix the chatter early this season, you won't see CS27 for the rest of the year.

Yes, but chatter causes arm pump which is an injury. Would also like to see Crutchlow get a race win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yes, but chatter causes arm pump which is an injury. Would also like to see Crutchlow get a race win

Technically the chatter has little to do with Stoner's injury to be honest. It exacerbates the problem but it isnt a root cause

frostie500 wrote: »
    Technically the chatter has little to do with Stoner's injury to be honest. It exacerbates the problem but it isnt a root cause

So he isn't fully fit. That's what I thought

Would also like to see Crutchlow get a race win

I'd LOVE to see him on the top step. Seen a quote in a bike magazine, which was "a happy Cal is a dangerous Cal".

The worst thing that could happen to Crutchlow would be an explosion of Toseland-style hype. Just let the results come and they will. JT was hyped up something shocking by the BBC (to the point where I stopped watching pre-race coverage) and putting a St George's cross on his lid for the British GP and then binning it on lap one showed up the expectation and pressure on him. Cal is more grounded I think.

Scrap the cap!

Agreed, I think Cal has a much better head on his shoulders. Plus I really think that he has a better temperament for Moto GP racing. Toseland was more of a push as hard as he could all the time type of racer whereas Cal can bide his time and wait for his opportunity. I'd love to see him win one

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to seeing Shakey Byrne on a CRT bike, he should be faster than Ellison anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing Shakey Byrne on a CRT bike, he should be faster than Ellison anyway.

That wouldn't be hard in fairness but Paul Bird has to look at all the options!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Ellison is riding the bike at Le Mans - was confirmed late last week.

Shakey subbed for the Sito Pons team a few years back and was not too impressive from memory

Infoanon wrote: »
    Ellison is riding the bike at Le Mans - was confirmed late last week.

Shakey subbed for the Sito Pons team a few years back and was not too impressive from memory
    Thats a good few years ago now!
    Big difference from a full factory prototype to a CRT, I'd be confident that he has moved on a bit since then and should be able to give good feedback.
    Maybe PB was using it as a stick on Ellison but I do expect to see Shakey at some point in the MotoGP setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

i think the last time shakey was in the top class was with aprila,the problom with ellison is he doesent stay with a team long enfough so i dont think he is the right man to develop the bike

• Advertisement

Stoner to retire at the end of the season!!! A seat becomes available on the Honda, will people up their game to get it, will Rossi be considered or is he yesterdays man, this might make things more exiting.

Not a chance - he left Honda on bad terms and anyway Honda don't need him to win...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I cant believe stoner is going to retire, thats the last thing i expected to hear, and rossi announces he will stay for another 2 years:eek:,
    i expected that announcement to be the other way around, im not sure will rossi will be with ducati for another 2 years, he just cant ride that bike,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Lorenzo to Honda and Rossi back to yamaha??
    Not much chance of it but be nice to see vale competitive again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well with Stoner retiring I expect to see Marquez in his seat next year, it's exactly what Honda will want as he's the most exciting up and coming rider at the moment.
    If Honda can also get Lorenzo in the team and get rid of sour face Pedrosa then that'd be the "dream team" of bike racing for sure.

Stoner seems to have succomed to losing his bottle, even though he'll be giving it his all for the season he probably wouldn't want to keep riding at his level as he does really hang it out and anything goes wrong at the speeds he rides and he'll be badly injured and his wife would kill him.

It is a shame though as he is an excellent rider, the championship won't be the same without him.

Honda stated at a press conference yesterday that there would only be one spanish rider in the repsol team,juring the same conference dawna who own moto gp said there would be no relaxing the rules to let marquez ride in a works team,at the same press conference eurosports toby asked hondas boss man about rossi returning to repsol,he said you could rule noting out,any one how thinks rossi is passed it are crazy

I think Pedrosa will be fired. He is the longest serving Honda rider without winning a championship. As good as he is I cant see him win a title, if he does I will gladly eat my own jocks............

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well with Stoner retiring I expect to see Marquez in his seat next year,

Marquez cannot ride for a works team next year. Possibly see will see him on a satellite bike with repsol sponsorship.

Honda pushed strongly for Bradl to go to LCR so its possible Bradl could link up with Pedrosa.

With Spies position also under threat negotiations could be interesting over the summer !

Plus factor in the possibility that Suzuki could be rejoining MotoGP in 2014 with an i4 engine.

• Advertisement

Very dissapointed with Spies so far, you could put it down to bad luck but still. Bradl is going well tho, maybe something might happen for him. Why cant Marquez ride a factory bike?

Very dissapointed with Spies so far, you could put it down to bad luck but still. Bradl is going well tho, maybe something might happen for him. Why cant Marquez ride a factory bike?
    ITS THE RULES

If he's coming from Moto2 to MotoGP, he has to start with a satellite team and THEN progress onto a factory bike. Take Bradl for example, he's on the LCR Honda so in theory he could take Stoner's (Pedrosa's) seat next year.

I did not know that.

Excellent win for Ianone, bad luck for Pol Espargaro got wipedout big time by Marquez, racing incident but stillunfortunate.

Good day for Luthi an excellent seccond postition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

That fecking marquez, doing something silly as usual,
    luthi shows a cool head and consistent riding,

bladebrew wrote: »
    That fecking marquez, doing something silly as usual,
    luthi shows a cool head and consistent riding,

Wasn't really Marquez's fault though was more of a racing inccident, though Marquez should havev been more aware of his and Espargaro's track position

pdbhp wrote: »
    Wasn't really Marquez's fault though was more of a racing inccident, though Marquez should havev been more aware of his and Espargaro's track position

Agree - there was a second angle shown on Europsort where marquez could not avoid hitting Pol - unfortunately Marquez has form and prior to the incident imho his riding was pretty tough yesterday.

Stewards initially gave Marquez (who got booed btw) a 1 minute penalty
    His team appealed and the penalty was revoked - meantime both Rossi and Stoner criticised the decision to penalise Marquez.

However.....the Pons team have now appealed the decision citing a rule that a rider involved in an incident must look up to avoid collisions....

Moto GP - Better ride from Pedrosa, very good ride from Spies until he crashed :( and didn't do badly after he crashed. He's not really a 'win or crash' rider I think, but he did a good impression of one - kind of understandable given the pressure he's been under, but a cooler more calcuated ride would almost certainly have resulted in a podium for him and that would be better for him and his team bosses.

Good ride from Crutchlow, but a very good ride from Dovi, excellent result for him right when he needed one.

A couple of races ago I thought this was going to be another title for Stoner without a doubt, but yet again he gives an unimpressive race performance after a good qualifying. Two wins on the bounce for Lorenzo and I'd have to make him title favourite now. Have to question how much Stoner wants it.

Decent enough result for the Ducatis given Nicky had a numb hand, Rossi was about half a second off on race pace which is better than they've been in the dry, but still clearly not good enough - question is whether they can continue to improve and become truly competitive.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Great MotoGP and Moto2 races, very exciting.

Comment of the weekend from Bradley Smith's race engineer, Tom Jojic in the Eurosport booth for the MotoGP race: "Looks like Stoner's got a hard, hard on....tyres I mean." :eek::pac:

After I mention Spies and his hard luck a couple of weeks ago, Doh!!! a good recovery tho. Good racing overall, those slomo hd shots.............fantastic. a hard-hard on, HA.

Agree - there was a second angle shown on Europsort where marquez could not avoid hitting Pol - unfortunately Marquez has form and prior to the incident imho his riding was pretty tough yesterday.

Stewards initially gave Marquez (who got booed btw) a 1 minute penalty
    His team appealed and the penalty was revoked - meantime both Rossi and Stoner criticised the decision to penalise Marquez.

However.....the Pons team have now appealed the decision citing a rule that a rider involved in an incident must look up to avoid collisions....

Well he hasn't done himself any favours, he's young and we were all prone to mistakes as youths.
    That said all riders should be accountable for their actions when retaking the racing line, there's been enough tragedy in recent years.

Have to say though he is the most exciting rider around at the moment and is basically carrying the whole circus at the moment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Looks like another dry race at Silverstone........:rolleyes:.......anyone else sick of the rain.....:(

Ducati aren't!!!!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

ninja900 wrote: »
    Ducati aren't!!!!

Rossi FTW :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Good news on Cal Crutchlow - no broken bones or fractures following morning crash - not clear if he will run this afternoon.

Did I hear Herve saying that Cal was suppose to be in the lap he crashed ??

No update on Stefan Bradl yet - possibly a broken finger.

Raining at Silverstone at the moment - practice from 12.55 - Setanta & BBCi - no live Toby & Jules thanks to Le Mans 24hr

Good news on Cal Crutchlow - no broken bones or fractures following morning crash - not clear if he will run this afternoon.

Bradl up and running,Cal complaining of severe pain,circuit scans showed no fractures but moved to hospital for further examination.

Bautista on motogp pole ! in a rain affected session - have to be happy for Gresini - though expect normal service ie Lorenzo/Stoner to be resumed tomorrow.

Vinales on Moto 3 pole,Pol Esparago on pole in Moto 2 - Iannone 2nd,Redding 3rd & Smith 4th

Weather for tomorrow - Sunshine !

Paul Bird Motorsport have anoounced that they will have 2 entries next season and will retain Aprilla - despite taking a swipe at the lack of support from Aprilla and their preferential treatment of Aspar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just after looking through some of my shots from today and came across this one of Bautista and Dovi
    andrea-dovizioso-alvaro-bautista-silverstone-qualifying-motogp-2012.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Excellent performance from Scott Redding in Moto 2, and a stunning ride from Cal Crutchlow from the back of the grid to 6th, with painful injuries. The left ankle does all the work. If only he had managed to qualify.....who knows, a podium?

• Advertisement
Advertisement