Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centrefire mod on a Rimfire rifle.

Options
  • 27-02-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

davekangoo wrote: »
    would that work on a 17hmr or be abit of overkill

Never put a centrefire moderator on a rimfire or you will get hurt seriously

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

alan155 wrote: »

why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alan155

Read about it in a mag lately apparently as there is a lot more powder residue given off from a rimfire that it gathers up more easily in a centrefire mod and will ignite from a shot fairly easily and the consequences of that wouldn't be nice id imagine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Posts split out from For Sale/Wanted thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

probably be a whole lot worse if you did it the other way round,
    I would imagine they use different threads so as not to cross over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I have one that takes anything up to .223 ! There would be no problem firing rimfire in centrefire but not other way round !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Why would you want something so big and heavy towards rimfire mods on your .22 or .17? Would it make any difference in sound towards a rimfire mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,368 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Read about it in a mag lately apparently as there is a lot more powder residue given off from a rimfire that it gathers up more easily in a centrefire mod and will ignite from a shot fairly easily and the consequences of that wouldn't be nice id imagine
    I'm not sure if that is true. They are structurally the same, only sized different depending on round size and power.
    I was reading a chuck hawks article and he mentions they require different mods, but not for due to powder build up.
    garv123 wrote: »
    Why would you want something so big and heavy towards rimfire mods on your .22 or .17? Would it make any difference in sound towards a rimfire mod?

It would probably perform worse.
    The holes in a baffles would be too big for a .17, gas would leak around it. Plus the larger chambers mgiht cause sound to resonate. You'be be better off with a dedicated mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I use my Roedale delta mod on the .22 and 6.5.
    Performs just as well if not better - to my ear at least - on the 22 than my old sak and it's lighter and shorter.
    I leave out 3 of the baffles as they make no difference on the rimfire.

I can't see there being any issues - once you clean things every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

lurcher where ya buy ur roedale mod please

contact ejg on here.
    Have a talk with him about what you want - they're available in different types of materials.

I have both of my rifles threaded 1/2"20unf - not sure if you can buy separate threaded base baffle if yours are different.
    Buy two baby boas for taking it apart too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

i and my mate are using t8's from our .308 on our 17hmr, dead accurate and no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I read before that u shouldn't use a mild steel mod like a t4, t8, predator or jet-z compact on a rimfire as they are dirty rounds and cause them to rust a lot quicker, i couldn't see the problem using a stainless or alluminium mod on a rimfire but whats the point unless ur using the 1 mod for a rimfire and centrefire rifle, but no point spending 200-400 quid on a cf mod specifically for rf rifle as it prob won't do a better job than a 50 quid SAK

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Yep, was told the same thing from a RFD up north who heard of a mod exploding after a few hundred .22's were fired through a CF mod and then the owner put it back on a .308. Pulled the trigger and boom, bust mod. Although I think the concept may be plausible I'm always very sceptical about things "people heard" I much rather the "I was there when it happened" stories. For instance the guy could of used damp start spray or something similar on his mod after firing the .22's which caused the problem, he could have dropped the mod into his shooting bag and a stray .22 case or debris made its way into the mod. Lots of other reasons this could of happened.

I use winchester subs in the 22 - after around 200 shots it's hardly worth cleaning the Delta mod.
    The Eley subs are another story but for the scenario you're talking about to happen I'd expect you'd need to go 1000's of rounds before cleaning for it to be even plausible. Sounds like a job for Mythbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,368 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yep, was told the same thing from a RFD up north who heard of a mod exploding after a few hundred .22's were fired through a CF mod and then the owner put it back on a .308. Pulled the trigger and boom, bust mod. Although I think the concept may be plausible I'm always very sceptical about things "people heard" I much rather the "I was there when it happened" stories.

Even if that is what happened.
    He was firing 22 rounds through .308 baffles. Its reasonable to assume that powder would build up on the baffles constricting them. Then he put it on the .308 without cleaning and the 308 round didn't pass through easily. Hardly surprizing.

It wasn't the firing of 22 rounds that caused the issue. It was going back up to 308 without cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alan155

thelurcher wrote: »
    I use winchester subs in the 22 - after around 200 shots it's hardly worth cleaning the Delta mod.
    The Eley subs are another story but for the scenario you're talking about to happen I'd expect you'd need to go 1000's of rounds before cleaning for it to be even plausible. Sounds like a job for Mythbusters.

This months sporting rifle check out the interview with Peter Jackson of Jackson rifles and see what he has to say about it,maybe you have more experience than him on the subject but I for one would not put a centrefire mod on a rimfire

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

I don't understand why someone would want to put a centerfire mod on a rimfire rifle when there are mods specifically made for rimfire rifles and are not overly expensive either.

This months sporting rifle check out the interview with Peter Jackson of Jackson rifles and see what he has to say about it,maybe you have more experience than him on the subject but I for one would not put a centrefire mod on a rimfire
    A mod is a very simple device - I know a few people who have made their own - what do you think goes on inside one exactly :rolleyes:

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    I don't understand why someone would want to put a centerfire mod on a rimfire rifle when there are mods specifically made for rimfire rifles and are not overly expensive either.
    Read my earlier post for a perfectly good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

thelurcher wrote: »
    Alan 1990 wrote: »
    Read my earlier post for a perfectly good reason.

Ah Didnt see that lad, I agree would do the same job but a sak is virtually silent on a .22 as is, hasn't got baffles to remove either so it's easier. I just believe in using the right tool for the job eg. Rimfire mod on a rimfire rifle, centerfire mods aren't designed for rimfire..but if it works for you go ahead I'm just saying I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement