Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Master Cumberbatch?

• 27-02-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭

Still only a rumour, but fun casting. :)
    The series preparing to celebrate its 50th anniversary next year, "Doctor Who" may be preparing for a special guest star from another Steven Moffat television series. Express.co.uk is reporting a rumor that "Sherlock" leading man Benedict Cumberbatch may be gearing up to play a new regeneration of the Doctor's arch-foe, The Master.

First appearing in 1971's "Terror of the Autons," the Master, like the Doctor, is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey and, as such, the character can "regenerate" and has been played by quite a few actors over the years. Roger Delgado originated the role with Anthony Ainley in the part the longest. Most recently, John Simm played The Master in the 2007 series (which then featured David Tennant as the Doctor).

Cumberbatch recently appeared on the big screen in War Horse and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and can, coming up, be seen in both The Hobbit and in J.J. Abram's untitled Star Trek sequel.

"Doctor Who" will resume broadcast later this year with Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill all confirmed to return.

ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=87510

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would be good casting imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Awww, no one remenbers that David Jacobi was briefly the Master before Simm took over!

As for Cumberbatch, he is genre-flavour-of-the-month, so as rumours go it's a fairly credible one, and he'd be an excellent choice. But of course like all things Who-related & reported in the tabloids, I'll believe it when I see it.

In any case, can the Master come back? I've blotted End of Time from my memory, so I can't recall how things work out for Simm's Master. Doesn't he die, or get wiped from reality or something?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Awww, no one remenbers that David Jacobi was briefly the Master before Simm took over!

As for Cumberbatch, he is genre-flavour-of-the-month, so as rumours go it's a fairly credible one, and he'd be an excellent choice. But of course like all things Who-related & reported in the tabloids, I'll believe it when I see it.

In any case, can the Master come back? I've blotted End of Time from my memory, so I can't recall how things work out for Simm's Master. Doesn't he die, or get wiped from reality or something?

I remember.

I remember.

Basically Rassilon zapped him with his gauntlet ex machina and then everything went white so they could go with anything from ol' Masty jumping out of the way of the beam to Rassilon blinking out of existence before killing him to the Master's Storm impression killing him first. Whatever really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hasn't this been an ongoing rumour for a while, from the same ever reliable "someone with knowledge"?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd say it's guff.

I read the original article and it was all "we were told..." Really looked like something the journo had made up on the spot. I'm prepared to be spectacularly wrong though.

• Advertisement

There was a time period towards the end of Tennant's run where every second post of mine in this forum was "Will believe it when the BBC announce it". Who seems to be a great source of BS for bad journos.

I doubt it tbh, but we shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

Hope this is not true only because I would love to see him as the next Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

campo wrote: »
    Hope this is not true only because I would love to see him as the next Doctor
    That would be cool.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Personally I would prefer to see Simm return (and there was an article on Digital Spy a while back that suggested he would be for it). I think it would be interesting to have a character faced by two different Doctors, rather than a precedent set whereby each new Doctor has his 'own' Master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Sorry but the Master is dead so this would be previous incarnation then ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

amen wrote: »
    Sorry but the Master is dead

Being dead never stopped him before!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Being dead never stopped him before!

Indeed, sure last time he was dead they just used a magic potion and lipstick to bring him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

Anyone remember that week when David Morrissey was meant to be the new Doctor? Good times....
    I think its just a rumor, Cumberbatch seems to be everywhere these days, but I loved John Simm as the Master so maybe its just wishful thinking on my part. The man does good megalomaniac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I'd like to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Who but until this is announced by a reliable source I'm not buying it.

What with shared writers and fans and Benedict Cumberbatch being friends with David Tennant and Matt Smith there's always going to be rumours floating about. I've seen and heard about cumberbatch turning down the role of the Doctor hundreds of times even though he's said it's not true and he never auditioned or was offered the role.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cumberbatch would be a good choice as opposed to John Simm's camp comic performance. I reckon he could get the arch element bang on rather than leaping around like a hyper Chuckle brother.
    It would also erase the memory of Season 29's finale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    Cumberbatch would be a good choice as opposed to John Simm's camp comic performance. I reckon he could get the arch element bang on rather than leaping around like a hyper Chuckle brother.
    It would also erase the memory of Season 29's finale.

I'm on the fence with Simm's master; his initial appearance, while campy at times, was quite psychotic in many ways - Simm was fairly threatening when the script had him play it dark. I'm pretending his 2nd appearance didn't happen of course. No sir, trick of the light. Merely a rumour; never occured. Nuh-uh.

Min you, while we're on the subject of wasted uses of classic villains during RTD's tenure, it would also be nice to see Davros make a return at some point - they got the makeup, actor & performance spot-on, but his appearance was fleeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm on the fence with Simm's master; his initial appearance, while campy at times, was quite psychotic in many ways - Simm was fairly threatening when the script had him play it dark. I'm pretending his 2nd appearance didn't happen of course. No sir, trick of the light. Merely a rumour; never occured. Nuh-uh.
    I think it's that second appearance that's spoilt it for me. All a bit OTT. I mean they can retcon timelines in the show - why not in my head? :(

Delgado did the arch camp performance spot on. It might be a bit interesting to go a different direction though and make him more unhinged without being a joke
    it would also be nice to see Davros make a return at some point - they got the makeup, actor & performance spot-on, but his appearance was fleeting.
    Yeah they did a great job with Davros, so naturally they didn't use him much. I'd be happy to see him brought back if we're forced to do another Dalek story line.

Advertisement