Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron Q's

Options
  • 27-02-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm looking for a laptop to Record and Edit xbox video via HD PVR, watch movies, listen to music (I've currently got an external HDD so the HD size doesn't matter much to me, I also want to be able to play old-ish games like GMOD and GTA: SA....playing games like Fallout 3 on decent settings would be a plus.:D
    I don't know much about Graphics cards though so my question is, a laptop with 4GB ram, 2.13GHz pentium dual core processor and Intel HD Graphics play GMOD smoothly? I know that the Intel HD isn't dedicated and I read on some random forum that the card takes memory from the RAM so 4GB RAM plus that card = the same as a 1GB dedicated card which is what GMOD and the PVR will need to work properly?
    It sounds too good to be true but if it is true would it be worth my while to add extra memory down the line to improve performance?

Does anyone know a way to talk to someone who can actually speak English when calling Dell? I called the last day and I'm not entirely sure what he was saying to me..:o
    Are the speakers any good on Dell Laptops?

The laptop with the specs above I'm looking at is a Dell Inspiron 15 (N5040) for 510.31 including Logitech 5.1 speakers.
    Any and all replies much appreciated. :)
    Joe
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's more to graphics than just memory unfortunately. So the intel HD integrated graphics is not the same as a dedicated card. I'm not well read on games so i'm not 100% sure, but that machine is in no way a gaming machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Thanks for the reply Alanstrainor, I thought so. :(
    Reason I'm going with Dell is because they do payment plans that suit me to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Have you had a look at their XPS range?

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-l502x/fs

The one for €650 doesn't look too bad.

EDIT: Some info on the GPU - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I have done, think that is what I will go with!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

the speakers on the XPS range are brilliant best I've ever seen on a laptop as is the 1080p screen.

I'm not sure if the xbox recording and editing would be very graphics intensive and I'm not much of a gamer but I'd at least go for a midrange dedicated card like GT 525m.

Also some software now can utilize multiple cores for rendering video ect.. so I'd go for at least and i5 dual core if not i7 quad.

that's just being a bit safe maybe but better getting a lil bit too much than a little too little

• Advertisement
Advertisement