Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets on Public Transport?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

hi all,

plan to buy a parrot in a few weeks time...

i dont drive and im just wondering what are the chances of allowing to take him/her on public transport in a carrier?

i assume they dont allow it but thought id ask regardless..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Are you talking about just getting it home from the purchase? Why not just get a taxi?

I don't see why they'd have an issue with a pet in a locked carrier to be honest. I've heard of people taking their dogs on the luas in dog carrier bags without any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I take my smallest dog and my cat on the train a few times a week and then I get a taxi to my house, never had any problems :) The ticket guys even come over to say hi to them. It says on irishrail.ie that as long as your animal is contained in a carrier and under your control at all times then they are allowed travel on the train. As regards taking them on the bus some bus drivers will and some won't, it depends on the driver which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

the places i would like to buy from are quite a distance away and a taxi would probably cost more than the parrot haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

What other method of transport do you have? If its the bus then ring the bus company and ask about their policy

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

From bus eireann;
    "Guide dogs accompanying passengers who hold a Registered Blind Person's Pass are carried free of charge on Bus Éireann's services. Apart from the foregoing exception, dogs, cats or any other animals or live fowl of any description WILL NOT be carried."

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=324#DOGS_AND_OTHER_ANIMALS_

Irish rail;
    "Pets on Trains
    Small dogs can be carried free of charge in the passenger compartment of services provided they travel on the owners lap.
    The dog must be kept on a lead at all times unless contained in a basket or in an appropriate container.
    Small cats can be carried free of charge in the passenger compartment of services provided they travel in a secure carrier on the customer's lap.
    Dogs and/or pets in containers found to be occupying a seat will be liable to a penalty charge.
    Animals are not allowed in restaurant cars with the exception of Guide dogs or Assistance dogs.
    If a customer objects to the presence of a dog in their carriage, the owner will be requested to move to another part of the train."
    http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=120&n=155

The local private bus service and bus eireann wouldn't allow me to bring her so I have to use Irish Rail which is more expensive but they have always been helpful and so far, no one has objected to her. So ring them and ask about a parrot, they are usually quite flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

the places i would like to buy from are quite a distance away and a taxi would probably cost more than the parrot haha :)

Not to go off track but any parrot I have seen are 1k plus.

Advertisement