Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Course

• 27-02-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So my teacher told us that knowing the Economics book alone will only get us a C in the Leaving. Is this true and if so what other ways can I study other than reading the Newspaper..Im in 5th year btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Watch RTE news to keep up to date with the economy and I would recommend watching George Lee's Business programme which is on every Monday @ 8.30 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

TheStook wrote: »
    So my teacher told us that knowing the Economics book alone will only get us a C in the Leaving. Is this true and if so what other ways can I study other than reading the Newspaper..Im in 5th year btw.
    Load of BS to be honest! I took Economics up this time last year, have never had a class, homework etc. Basically studied the Marking schemes inside out, would be extremely surprised with less than a B2 in the Mock (not back yet will post it when I get it)

If you know the course, (from the MARKING SCHEMES not from a book) work on your exam technique (25 minutes p/long Q) study the last 15 years of Short Questions there's no way you'll get anything less than a B1..

Sure half of the course has basically nothing to do with current affairs and the rest.

For the Mock I did
    3 Micro-Economics Q's and 1 Question on Tax.
    Didn't need to know any current affair stuff..

IMO, ditch the book work on a topic, do all of the exam questions possible, correct using marking schemes whatever you don't get word perfect LEARN IT FROM THE MARKING SCHEME!!

:) Best of luck..

P.S: I'll let you know what I get in the Mock when I get it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Watch RTE news to keep up to date with the economy and I would recommend watching George Lee's Business programme which is on every Monday @ 8.30 pm.

Load of BS to be honest! I took Economics up this time last year, have never had a class, homework etc. Basically studied the Marking schemes inside out, would be extremely surprised with less than a B2 in the Mock (not back yet will post it when I get it)

If you know the course, (from the MARKING SCHEMES not from a book) work on your exam technique (25 minutes p/long Q) study the last 15 years of Short Questions there's no way you'll get anything less than a B1..

Sure half of the course has basically nothing to do with current affairs and the rest.

For the Mock I did
    3 Micro-Economics Q's and 1 Question on Tax.
    Didn't need to know any current affair stuff..

IMO, ditch the book work on a topic, do all of the exam questions possible, correct using marking schemes whatever you don't get word perfect LEARN IT FROM THE MARKING SCHEME!!

:) Best of luck..

P.S: I'll let you know what I get in the Mock when I get it! :D

Im in 5th year so I dont use the Exam Papers yet, tbh its very hard to start studying a subject when you havent completed the course aswell..Ill use examinations.ie i suppose, thanks man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

My teacher said the same thing, you don't live in kildare do you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

Your teacher is full of crap, I'll take my revise wise book over learning the news anyway.

Leo lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

TheStook wrote: »
    Leo lol?
    Haha ye Leo murphy! I knew itd be him he's always saying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Knowing all the definitions, diagrams, key concepts and calculations along with having plenty of practice with exam papers will surely get you to a good B grade. Then use some facts and figures to bring yourself up. When expanding on bullet points give examples, although its more of a Business thing, still do it. Might get you some extra marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

That's some load of rubbish if you know yer book well and have an ability to answer most of the past paper questions of course you can acheive a high grade. what I would be inclined to say is that the examiner for economics has been moving closer and closer to applied economics questions where you must use your own knowledge to answer the question, you wouldn't find the answer in a book m.sh discuss the economic consequences of the implementation of water charges in Irish Households...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look at the syllabus and see what the DES/SEC say you need to know.

* Edit. I got 87% A2 in the Mock. Missed out on the A1 because I did a Macro Question! My advice- STICK TO MICRO!

* Edit. I got 87% A2 in the Mock. Missed out on the A1 because I did a Macro Question! My advice- STICK TO MICRO!

Maybe it's just because it happened to be a macro question you made a mistake in? Nothing to do with micro/macro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

slightly off topic but can anyone reccommend the best revision book for economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

TheGunns wrote: »
    slightly off topic but can anyone reccommend the best revision book for economics?

Rapid Revision - Economics

By an absolute mile. Just started it myself - it's great.

And it's really by far the popular choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

The author of that book is giving a lecture in about 2 or 3 weeks time in dublin on current economic issues - search for leaving cert lecture day and you will find the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Is economics doable outside school in one year? I was thinking of doing it outside school if I decided to repeat.

Raeone wrote: »
    Is economics doable outside school in one year? I was thinking of doing it outside school if I decided to repeat.

Wasn't exactly that just answered on the previous page?
    I took Economics up this time last year, have never had a class, homework etc. Basically studied the Marking schemes inside out, would be extremely surprised with less than a B2 in the Mock (not back yet will post it when I get it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

The author of that book is giving a lecture in about 2 or 3 weeks time in dublin

Whos the author?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Teacher said the exact same thing to me the other day. Then said my test answers (taken from marking scheme) would only just get me a pass.

• Advertisement

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just because it happened to be a macro question you made a mistake in? Nothing to do with micro/macro.

No I actually think that Macro is way harder to achieve top marks in than Micro. With Macro, you could think of a perfectely good answer (as you may have to make it up) e.g. how to reduce National Debt, if your answer is not there however, you get no marks. Simple as. With Micro, there's only so much they can ask you e.g. Market Structures: assumptions, SR/LR Equilibrium Positions, advantages/disadvantages stuff like that. Maybe that's just me, but the Mock I did was difficult enough. I did a Demand/Supply Q, Imperfect Q, Labour/Enterprise and a Tax Question.

I ended up getting 100/100 in the Shorts, 74/75 in Demand/Supply, 68/75 Market Structure, 72/75 FOP and a miserable 34/75 in the Tax/National Debt Question.

So, I do firmly believe you should stick to Micro.
    bobjimmy wrote: »
    Whos the author?

Michael Ruane
    decisions wrote: »
    Teacher said the exact same thing to me the other day. Then said my test answers (taken from marking scheme) would only just get me a pass.

BS. This Teacher knows nothing. I've done nothing apart from study from the Marking Scheme and am fairly confident of an A1 in June! (fingers crossed). My advice- Never mind your teacher, study whatever way you think is of most benefit to you.

Advertisement