Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth & Fruit picking ( 3mnths )

Options
  • 27-02-2012 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

:rolleyes: Fruit Picking information.. :)

I have being searching all the inter-net for fruit picking jobs and still nothing. My self and partner will be moving to Oz for 1yr and I hope to do the 3mnth stint in the fruit picking to be eligable for the 2nd yr visa. I can not find any fruit picking jobs in OR around Perth. :confused: :eek:

If you have any "helpfull" tips and "helpfull" sites for jobs, then please
    leave a comment. We will be arriving in Perth in June 2012....

Thanks! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Why does it have to be WA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 margaret o shea

because were flying into Perth! :confused::confused:
    and to save money it would make sense if we
    got work there also instead of paying for flights...
    All I am looking for is "helpful" comments, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You are going to Perth at the beginning of winter. It's unlikely there will be fuit picking close by.
    Carnarvon and Kununurra are your best bets. Friends went to Carnarvon, hard work but they came through.
    This should give you an idea of what's available
    http://www.tourinfocentre.com.au/fruit-picking-western-australia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

because were flying into Perth! :confused::confused:
    and to save money it would make sense if we
    got work there also instead of paying for flights...

All I am looking for is "helpful" comments, thanks. :)

But you won't save money because you'd spend as much money driving to the places where there might be work as you would flying east.

Zambia's comment was "helpful", to use your fascination with quotation marks.

I have just e-mailed about 6 fruit picking places in Kununurra, so I am hoping I will get some what a reply.. Thanks for all the above comments. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Hi there,
    I did my 3 months regional work in Margaret River, about 3 hours south of Perth, and absolutely loved it. Its a huge wine region. I'm not sure what the work will be like at that time of the year because I did mine October to January, but as far as I know, there is work in vineyards for a large part of the year - it all counts towards the visa. There are a number of labour supply agencies in Margs you could contact to enquire (try Labour Solutions or Vine Power to start with). When there wasn't too much work, other people headed for Manjimup and/or Donnybrook for fruit picking. One other comment I'd make is don't be too disheartened about not finding work before getting there - you will learn a lot 'on the road' from other people's experiences.

@ Vill@in..

Thanks for your message :)

According to the National Harvester Trail, Kununurra and carnarvon are the most popular trails to follow from May, June onwards. But this is a long way from Perth, with Kununurra being about a day and a half of travelling.

I just need reliable resources when it comes to looking for fruit picking employers. I know that more than likely we will get a picking job when we arrive there and look for work BUT its the idea of leaving Ireland to go to Australia with no job planned! Every thing else I can not wait for!
    But i'm guessing it is just first time travellers nerves :(:D

And also we have large backpackers bag. Would people reccomened these of suit cases. I prefer the idea of a backpack bags and have bought a large one but my back would not be the best! ( yes im 24!) ..

Any ways, as ever thanks for all the info people :)

p.s. I am just after reading this:

Regional areas / Postcodes

Western Australia
    (most areas except Perth and
    surrounding areas)

6041 to 6044
    6083 to 6084
    6121 to 6126
    6200 to 6799

This is on the application for the 2nd yr visa. What does this actually mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

All Australian suburbs have postcodes.
    The ones mentioned are the places that qualify for regional work i.e. not Perth and surrounds.
    Google any of the number on the Aus Post website and you will get an idea of the areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

And also we have large backpackers bag. Would people reccomened these of suit cases. I prefer the idea of a backpack bags and have bought a large one but my back would not be the best! ( yes im 24!) ..
    TBH, if your back is not the best I'd try steer clear of fruit-picking jobs (yeah I know that doesn't leave many options)

You could also look at wwoof (willing workers on organic farms), no pay but you get food & board plus there is more variety of work out there. Plus no-one ever gets rich picking fruit, especially first timers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

@ Vill@in..

Thanks for your message :)

According to the National Harvester Trail, Kununurra and carnarvon are the most popular trails to follow from May, June onwards. But this is a long way from Perth, with Kununurra being about a day and a half of travelling.

I just need reliable resources when it comes to looking for fruit picking employers. I know that more than likely we will get a picking job when we arrive there and look for work BUT its the idea of leaving Ireland to go to Australia with no job planned! Every thing else I can not wait for!
    But i'm guessing it is just first time travellers nerves :(:D

Any ways, as ever thanks for all the info people :)

p.s. I am just after reading this:

Regional areas / Postcodes

Western Australia
    (most areas except Perth and
    surrounding areas)

6041 to 6044
    6083 to 6084
    6121 to 6126
    6200 to 6799

This is on the application for the 2nd yr visa. What does this actually mean??
    Don't be stressing about your second yr visa yet or any application forms.
    Your not going to get fruit picking work over the phone from Ireland and as others have said you would want to be heading up towards broom or there abouts in June or alternatively go to Queensland.
    Your going to need a tent for starters,you won't be lugging the backpack around every day in Oz so it won't matter too much but withinn reason only pack what you need.
    A car is possibly going to be key to finding you work,most of these farms are way off.
    If you have a poor back you should probably look to pick up work in a factory in regional Oz or a meat works.
    The picking will kill your back if you have existing problems.
    The best way to pick this work up is word of mouth in the hostels and then head up to these farms,drive around ask the farmers every day counts towards your time.
    I have no idea what's the demand like but I would imagine it is not easy to pick it up as it used to,I lived down there for the guts of 7yrs,if I was short a bit of cash I would do a bit of picking for a couple weeks.
    If your fairly fit it's easy but if you are a bit work shy avoid it.
    I would say half of Ireland and every other eu countries youth are snapping up the work there right now do you moght have to leave wa to find it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement