Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

becoming an electrician

Options
  • 28-02-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

hi, im doing the leaving certificate now and i want to become an electrician. i know of small electricains and ive seen them in work and it seems to be a nice trade to work in. i asked my guidence councillor at school whats the best way to become an electrician and he said i would need someone to sponsor me to do a FAS course. anyone have some information on this?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

****Rant ahead****
    Don't bother unless you're willing to work in every corner of the country and be happy with being told on a fri evening that you are going to a job hundreds of km away for monday morning and willing to accept months and months of unemployment.....unless you're one of the extremely lucky ones..... and eventually accepting that you will have to travel abroad for work and then deal with the headache of getting back into the Irish system on your return. Eventually you will accept being in and out of work regularly or will have moved onto something else like so many other lads I've seen come through the trade. Of course you could be lucky and fall into a place where you will have a permanent job but the chance a re slim and the competition will be great. Throughout this famous 'boom' the trade that had to be the most oversubscribed in terms of the sheer number of apprentices that were wandering around had to be that of electrician. There are now so many electricians in their late twentys and early thirties it is not even funny......you will be competing hard for jobs. As for your pension....I won't even go there its not worth a pittance....you better earn plenty and invest in your own your employer certainly won't be doing it for you and the cif pension is thrash.

In short you won't make much, there will be stacks of competition for little work, sometimes conditions won't be good at all, you won't have any real pension short of your own one and having money to invest in that will be hard when and if you have a family and you won't be retiring early.

My advice would be to reconsider your choices and if you are set on becoming 'a spark' head around to a few contractors in your area and seek out an apprenticeship, oh and make sure your employer registers you with FAS asap. Sooner they do the sooner you qualify.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

T954 wrote: »
    ****Rant ahead****
    Don't bother unless you're willing to work in every corner of the country and be happy with being told on a fri evening that you are going to a job hundreds of km away for monday morning and willing to accept months and months of unemployment.....unless you're one of the extremely lucky ones..... and eventually accepting that you will have to travel abroad for work and then deal with the headache of getting back into the Irish system on your return. Eventually you will accept being in and out of work regularly or will have moved onto something else like so many other lads I've seen come through the trade. Of course you could be lucky and fall into a place where you will have a permanent job but the chance a re slim and the competition will be great. Throughout this famous 'boom' the trade that had to be the most oversubscribed in terms of the sheer number of apprentices that were wandering around had to be that of electrician. There are now so many electricians in their late twentys and early thirties it is not even funny......you will be competing hard for jobs. As for your pension....I won't even go there its not worth a pittance....you better earn plenty and invest in your own your employer certainly won't be doing it for you and the cif pension is thrash.

In short you won't make much, there will be stacks of competition for little work, sometimes conditions won't be good at all, you won't have any real pension short of your own one and having money to invest in that will be hard when and if you have a family and you won't be retiring early.

My advice would be to reconsider your choices and if you are set on becoming 'a spark' head around to a few contractors in your area and seek out an apprenticeship, oh and make sure your employer registers you with FAS asap. Sooner they do the sooner you qualify.
    Good luck.

hi, thanks for your help. id like to be able to have a trade here in ireland that would be usefull abroad. id ike to go to austrailia some day once i have a trade! cheers for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

my first bit of advice is to really concentrate on your maths subjects
    (physics will help too)
    you dont have to be great at them but any knowledge you have will be of great help later
    if you know a local electrician,ask to accompany him at weekends or school holidays,volunteer to do this free of charge(he may pay you though)
    this will give you an insight into the trade you have chosen and also will show any prospective employer how keen you are
    it may introduce you to other electrical contractors who may notice your application
    be nice to everybody and talk to everybody you meet about your ambition to join the electrical trade
    finally,work as hard as you can and ask as many questions
    its not always about the money though
    your choice of a trade can take you anywhere in the world or allow you to become self employed or maybe even an employer in the future
    you have to work for it though,nothing for nothing
    be positive
    best of luck for the future
    meercat

meercat wrote: »
    my first bit of advice is to really concentrate on your maths subjects
    (physics will help too)
    you dont have to be great at them but any knowledge you have will be of great help later
    if you know a local electrician,ask to accompany him at weekends or school holidays,volunteer to do this free of charge(he may pay you though)
    this will give you an insight into the trade you have chosen and also will show any prospective employer how keen you are
    it may introduce you to other electrical contractors who may notice your application
    be nice to everybody and talk to everybody you meet about your ambition to join the electrical trade
    finally,work as hard as you can and ask as many questions
    its not always about the money though
    your choice of a trade can take you anywhere in the world or allow you to become self employed or maybe even an employer in the future
    you have to work for it though,nothing for nothing
    be positive
    best of luck for the future
    meercat

great help. cheers for the positive answer

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

hmf300 wrote: »
    hi, thanks for your help. id like to be able to have a trade here in ireland that would be usefull abroad. id ike to go to austrailia some day once i have a trade! cheers for your help.

Again check that the trade you choose will allow you to work in a foreign country before you decide........your Irish papers may not be enough to allow you to work as an electrician in another country....Australia is one of them. You will have to do a course or courses to operate as a fully qualified electrician there, depending on territory.

• Advertisement

sorry for my lack of knowledge but how would i go about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

sorry for my lack of knowledge but how would i go about that?

Just worry about here first. Once you are qualified here you are for all of the EU. For anywhere else you will have to do a small course in whatever country you go to to bring you up with their electrical spec and standards.

Just worry about here first. Once you are qualified here you are for all of the EU. For anywhere else you will have to do a small course in whatever country you go to to bring you up with their electrical spec and standards.

yes,agree here
    one step at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

I am now a qualified electrician of 2 years or so. Unlike Mr. Negative T954 i say to you go for it. Not everybody winds up with an awful employer and having to drive all around the country. I got trained to be a spark in a large manufacturing facility in Monaghan. Fair enough i had to do shift work but it was the same place everyday. You should look at some of the large manufacturers in your area and call in and ask to speak to someone in engineering about apprenticeships. You will be far more employable having industrial experience than someone who has essentially just chased walls for 2 years before they got to actually wire anything.

I have had to, like so many others i trained with, leave the country to find employment. In 4 weeks of searching in the UK i applied for 6 jobs, got 4 interviews, 4 second interviews and 1 job. I wouldn't change a thing.

Go for it, you really won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Id say go for it, In regards to the maths aspect of the course its grand once you manipulate formulas and understand basic trigonometry you will be sound. (You will be thought this from the basics anyway.

If your finding it hard to get an employer here you could allways go to England and do it the city and guilds route (a common solution in the last recession for a lot of lads)

I don't know you situation but you might like to get away:D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

eire-kp wrote: »
    Id say go for it, In regards to the maths aspect of the course its grand once you manipulate formulas and understand basic trigonometry you will be sound.
    +1
    The maths does not go beyond pass leaving cert. maths and I see that you are currently doing your leaving.

I know many people that successfully completed an electrical apprentiship having left school after their inter or junior cert.

However this is the worst time to try to become an apprentice that I can remember.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    +1

I know many people that successfully completed an electrical apprentiship having left school after their inter or junior cert.

Thats what i did, thats how im still only a young fella after all these years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

2011 wrote: »

I failed maths in both junior and leaving cert but passed every maths/science exam in my apprentiship with credits and merits first time.
    Me and numbers never really got on in school but I found during my apprentiship because I actually had an interest unlike in school in what was going on I could make sense of the maths end of it and therefore studying and learning it wasnt an issue like back in my school days.

So you dont have to be a maths wizz to be an electrician(it helps!)You just need to have an interest and the want to learn..

im definetly going to go for it! just need to find someone to take me on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Dufftronic wrote: »
    I got trained to be a spark in a large manufacturing facility in Monaghan. Fair enough i had to do shift work but it was the same place everyday. You should look at some of the large manufacturers in your area and call in and ask to speak to someone in engineering about apprenticeships. You will be far more employable having industrial experience than someone who has essentially just chased walls for 2 years before they got to actually wire anything.

I'm qualified 2 years and if i could go back in time and change something about my training,it would of been to start off doing industrial work like Dufftronic did rather then domestic and commercial stuff, I find it much more interesting.

I'm qualified 2 years and if i could go back in time and change something about my training,it would of been to start off doing industrial work like Dufftronic did rather then domestic and commercial stuff, I find it much more interesting.

great to hear from ye, does anyone know how i would go about getting an apprentiship or could i do some courses at fas to help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

great to hear from ye, does anyone know how i would go about getting an apprentiship or could i do some courses at fas to help me?

Concentrate on your maths and physics and look into getting your Safe Pass off Fas.Register with them when you leave school and maybe look to do a few courses related towards the electrical trade PLC'S,electronics,fire alarm installation maybe even a few electrical City and Guilds.
    Even a MEWP licence or a PTS card might help you.
    Its difficult now to find work ,but who knows in a couple of years things may pick up a little.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Its hard to get but I'd try and get the apprenticeship with the ESB with the option to going on to do an engineering degree.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bassey wrote: »
    Its hard to get but I'd try and get the apprenticeship with the ESB with the option to going on to do an engineering degree.

+1. Go for it Bassey

OP I think this is what you should aim at. You would gain the benifit of being an electrician and end up as an electrical engineer. This would make you very employable and dramatically increase your earning capacity. There is a massive demand for such a person at the moment.

There is a catch of course, your grades and attendance while at FAS have to be as good as perfect to be even considered. One of the lads who I went to fas with,who is in the ESB, is in CIT at the moment followed that route, he got 590 points on the leaving cert...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I'm currently in DIT after going the ESB route, getting merits in all your phase 2 and 4 exams really isn't that hard.

There is a catch of course, your grades and attendance while at FAS have to be as good as perfect to be even considered.
    Good attendance is easy, just turn up.
    Excellent grades are achievable, if you study hard enough.
    It is all down to how dedicated an individual is.

ESB are recruiting soon,this will make you stand out:
    http://careerservices.ie/e-s-b

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I say go for it if its what you wanna do OP. When I was your age I wanted to go sparking, even thought about dropping out before the LC but ended up staying. Was talked out of doing the apprenticeship by all sorts of people and have spent 4 years in college doing courses I hate. Regret not going for an apprenticeship when I finished school and probably too old now unfortunately.

Try the ESB when it comes around (in march I think) and keep an eye on the fás jobseeker website for apprenticeships. Good luck with it kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I say go for it if its what you wanna do OP. When I was your age I wanted to go sparking, even thought about dropping out before the LC but ended up staying. Was talked out of doing the apprenticeship by all sorts of people and have spent 4 years in college doing courses I hate. Regret not going for an apprenticeship when I finished school and probably too old now unfortunately.

Try the ESB when it comes around (in march I think) and keep an eye on the fás jobseeker website for apprenticeships. Good luck with it kid.

Never too old,I started mine at the age of 31,Qualified recently.

Age should not hold you back,sadly the current state of the nation may well be the thing that does

HoggyRS wrote: »
    probably too old now unfortunately.

never too old
    when i was a first year,there was a lad 31 just starting too
    35 by the time he qualified
    still 30 years till retirement

like you say "go for it":D

superg wrote: »
    Never too old,I started mine at the age of 31,Qualified recently.

Age should not hold you back,sadly the current state of the nation may well be the thing that does

is that you gary:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

meercat wrote: »
    is that you gary:D:D:D:D:D:D

Starts with a G alright but no,not Gary:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Graham, is that you:D:D

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    Starts with a G alright but no,not Gary:D

we posted at the same time about a 31 year old