Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

becoming an electrician

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Graham, is that you:D:D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hmf300

Thanks for all the help lads. very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Sorry bit of a hijack but can't see threads about it anywhere else. I see the ESB are recruiting again now does anyone know if they take on 2nd years that want to go on and do electrical engineering? Or do they only do that through you starting as a 1st year?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

They'll only take on guys starting from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

paddymick wrote: »
    I failed maths in both junior and leaving cert but passed every maths/science exam in my apprentiship with credits and merits first time.
    Me and numbers never really got on in school but I found during my apprentiship because I actually had an interest unlike in school in what was going on I could make sense of the maths end of it and therefore studying and learning it wasnt an issue like back in my school days.

So you dont have to be a maths wizz to be an electrician(it helps!)You just need to have an interest and the want to learn..

how were you registered so? I thought maths was required as one of the five passes in the junior cert? genuinely interested BTW.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Stoner wrote: »
    how were you registered so? I thought maths was required as one of the five passes in the junior cert? genuinely interested BTW.:)

I Honestly dont know maybe it was a bit different then,I got registered in 1998 before the flood of Boom apprentices so there wasnt hundreds of people applying to get registered around then.I think it was more to do with having some potential as oppose to school results at that time.
    And i didnt sneak in the back door or have someone pull some strings either,When I had decide to become an electrician I went to a fas office told them what I wanted to do,Done an interview,gave my details and a week later they rang me and said they had 2 apprenticeships available one was with Mercury who I knew nothing about only that they where a big industrial company in Dublin so that didnt interest me at all and the other job was with a small contractor who did a bit of everthing not to far from me which suited me better.
    I worked for him for 9 years and Ive been self-employed for 5 years.

And dont get me wrong Im not a complete thick when it comes to maths now,I was trying to make the point too people who are a bit put off becoming a electrician because of not being good at maths in school like i was but that I found as I was that bit older doing my apprenticeship and actully had an interest in what I was doing I found maths alot easier to get my head around.I hope makes sense:)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

Always remember, never forget, never ever touch the brown wire.

unit 1 wrote: »

Dont forget the blue wire either that little fella can be just as nasty as the brown wire;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

unit 1 wrote: »
    Dont forget the blue wire either that little fella can be just as nasty as the brown wire;)

Also 1 m 350 to the centre of the switch box and 450 mm to the centre of the socket box.

mattjack wrote: »
    Also 1 m 350 to the centre of the switch box .

Thats against the regs max hight is 1200mm;)

• Advertisement

Thats against the regs max hight is 1200mm;)

I knew somebody would have something to say 'bout that.I've to start apologising to loads of apprentices.

mattjack wrote: »
    I knew somebody would have something to say 'bout that.I've to start apologising to loads of apprentices.

You will get away with your socket heights so you are not all bad:D

You will get away with your socket heights so you are not all bad:D

Em, Its been a few years since I did any sparking,but is 1200mm a new disability height ? domestic ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This may be of interest. Nice way to take things further and gain real hands on experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

apply to do Electrical Engineering in University and save yourself hours crawling around dirty attics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

save yourself hours crawling around dirty attics!

That's half the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Plus you might find something up there and end up on antiques roadshow:D

Advertisement