Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make my posts private from some individuals?

Options
  • 28-02-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I know it may sound silly but I have friend in college who's really irritating me with what I post on boards. Basically he opens my public profile and sees all threads I started, stuff like about fashion etc.. I mean you might agree that for 18 year old guy it's gonna be a bit weird to talk about fashion. So yeah is there any way I can prevent this friend from being able to see my threads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm afraid there isn't, the software Boards uses doesn't allow for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm afraid there isn't, the software Boards uses doesn't allow for something like this.

Oh, so no privacy settings or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

All private information is private. Anything you post in a public forum is public. If your friend knows your username then he can see anything you post in a public forum. You choose to post information about fashion and boards didn't give your friend your username so I don't see what you expect boards to do about it.

You can subscribe for a fiver and change your username - then don't tell this 'friend' the new name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Will the new Boards interface have the option to allow a User to stop other people from going through all of their posting history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

arleitiss wrote: »
    Oh, so no privacy settings or anything?
    €5 for a one month subscription to boards and change your user name and don't let the person know what it is. Or if he knows where you posted and could track down your new user name you could always close your present account and start a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Will the new Boards interface have the option to allow a User to stop other people from going through all of their posting history?

This isn't Facebook or Google+. It's a message board. If people are afraid of their posts in public fora being read then they shouldn't be posting on the site at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That would be counterintuitive and utterly pointless, since they could just use Google to search for the posts anyway. If you don't want someone seeing what you publically post under your username, don't publically post it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Answered by Zaph, so closing as Resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement