Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Britpop Band Besides Oasis and Blur

Options
  • 28-02-2012 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Because there's more to Britpop than those two bands.

Hopefully someone will unearth a few forgotten bands.

Best Britpop Band Besides Oasis and Blur 69 votes

Pulp
    0% 0 votes
    Suede
    24% 17 votes
    Lightning Seeds
    18% 13 votes
    The Auteurs
    1% 1 vote
    Lush (later stuff)
    0% 0 votes
    Sleeper
    0% 0 votes
    Cast
    1% 1 vote
    The Verve
    5% 4 votes
    The Boo Radleys
    26% 18 votes
    Supergrass
    2% 2 votes
    Shed Seven
    18% 13 votes
    Other (please moan about them not being included)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Pulp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Charlatans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

i dont think the verve really fit into the category of "britpop", and at the height of their power were just as big as both blur and oasis. voted for them anyway. you left out dodgy and the best of all them.....THE BLUETONES

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Supergrass all the way! Supergrass and Pulp are the only two on that list (maybe Suede as well to give them their due, I'm just not into them personally) who's songs have stood the test of time and still sound great in 2012. The rest just sound dated and dull, or perhaps a nostalgic pleasure at best.

The Charlatans were a good band too, and the poll is also missing Ocean Colour Scene and Elastica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Ocean Colour Scene without doubt

The Verve weren't "britpop"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Dammit, forgot about Elastica.

I have to go with Suede. I think they went deeper than the rest of the Britpop crop, especially on their self-titled and Dog Star Man. They're also a band you know straight-away when you hear them, no one else sounds,like them. Also their androgynous image bellied the laddishness of Oasis and Blur very nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Christ, when you look at it like that, apart from maybe Pulp and Supergrass, the 90s was a sea of mediocrity. Shed Seven?!? That's like putting up Menswear or Northern Uproar. The Boo Radleys did some nice shoegaze, especially Lazarus but when they went down the Britpop route it was pretty generic. Same with Lush, who had great songs like Thoughtforms and Baby Talk before they started releasing sh¡te like Single Girl. Surprised you don't have Ride on there, seeing as they went down the same route as Lush and The Boo Radleys - doing some interesting stuff before putting themselves through a blander. Dreams Burn Down, Seagull and Leave Them All Behind are still classics. I listened to the Elastica album there a while ago and besides the likes of Stutter and Connection it's a pretty dismal album.

So I suppose in answer to your question, it has to be Pulp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The Verve, Supergrass and The Charlatans are the only 3 I'd be interested in now. And a bit of Pulp. I Should Coco is a great album, ruined by "Alright".
    Charlatans have a great catalogue of songs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

OCS, Suede

• Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

My Life Story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Suede are the second best band to come out of the UK in the 90's. Oasis rule the roost for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

The Pale Saints.
    The Family Cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

lewisdhead wrote: »
    The Pale Saints.
    That's actually an interesting one. Although they were seen as a shoegaze band they were kind of like precursors to Britpop, especially on their second album In Ribbons. The same with Adorable, Moose and Catherine Wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Zero1986 wrote: »
    That's actually an interesting one. Although they were seen as a shoegaze band they were kind of like precursors to Britpop, especially on their second album In Ribbons. The same with Adorable, Moose and Catherine Wheel.

I meant to say that.:);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No real interest in BP era but Supergrass were (was?) a fine band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Supergrass all the way for me. They've 4 great albums and a couple of decent ones. Not one dud.

Pulp would be second best. After that it's a big gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The La's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭mosstin

Christ, when you look at it like that, apart from maybe Pulp and Supergrass, the 90s was a sea of mediocrity. Shed Seven?!? That's like putting up Menswear or Northern Uproar. The Boo Radleys did some nice shoegaze, especially Lazarus but when they went down the Britpop route it was pretty generic. Same with Lush, who had great songs like Thoughtforms and Baby Talk before they started releasing sh¡te like Single Girl. Surprised you don't have Ride on there, seeing as they went down the same route as Lush and The Boo Radleys - doing some interesting stuff before putting themselves through a blander. Dreams Burn Down, Seagull and Leave Them All Behind are still classics. I listened to the Elastica album there a while ago and besides the likes of Stutter and Connection it's a pretty dismal album.

So I suppose in answer to your question, it has to be Pulp.

Arse. 'C'mon Kids' was about as generic as 'Metal Machine Music'.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I liked alot of those bands. They're some great albums among them. the Verve's 'A Northern Soul' and 'Urban Hymns', Supergrass' 'ISC', Suede's first three albums, Pulp's 'Different Class', 'This Is Hardcore' and 'His n' Hers'.

OSC, never lived up to expectations for me. But have a great Greatest Hits collection.

But the best band (and they're not mentioned) for me would be Super Furry Animals. Excellent band album after album. Never got the recognition they deserved.

mosstin wrote: »
    Arse. 'C'mon Kids' was about as generic as 'Metal Machine Music'.

Funnily enough, I'd never even heard of that album before so I'll have a listen and concede to you on that point. Wake Up were well sh¡t though…

• Advertisement

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    But the best band (and they're not mentioned) for me would be Super Furry Animals. Excellent band album after album. Never got the recognition they deserved.

Rings around the world is one of my favourite albums of all time and Hey Venus was a classic that seemed to pass everyone by. Don't think I'd ever class them as Britpop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Don't know if they'd really be classed as britpop, but i love the sundays and echobelly, both lead singers had really outsanding voices (they're from that era anyway!) - still listen to both of them a fair bit (and get all misty eyed and nostalgic for my mis-spent youth;))

From your list - Pulp by a country mile.

Some good albums from that time anyway, if not neccesarily great bands. Urban hyms is genius, the it girl by sleeper is still one of my faves as is split by lush.
    All in all it was a great time for music i think.

Rings around the world is one of my favourite albums of all time and Hey Venus was a classic that seemed to pass everyone by. Don't think I'd ever class them as Britpop though.

Britpop wasn't a genre like punk or 60's r n b, etc. It was more an explosion of indie/alternative bands in the mid 90's breaking through into the mainstream charts and became household names. It always had a wide range of bands that came in that category. Most bands of that era though didn't like the label.

Fuzzy Logic, Radiator, RATW for me are their best albums. LoveKraft and Phantom Power were great aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

What about Starsailor? Admittedly they arrived on the scene in 2001 (and so were not around when Britpop was at its zenith in the mid to late 1990's) but I think they're a band that are often overlooked in general.

They had have some cracking tunes in their early years - think 'Silence is Easy' and Four to the Floor' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Has to be Ocean Colour Scene, great band

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

The Verve

Britpop wasn't a genre like punk or 60's r n b, etc. It was more an explosion of indie/alternative bands in the mid 90's breaking through into the mainstream charts and became household names. It always had a wide range of bands that came in that category. Most bands of that era though didn't like the label.

I suppose I always saw Britpop as bands that were using their Britishness as a defining statement of who they were, parading the Union Jack and mod imagery or singing about very English places and preoccupations and I never felt Super Furry Animals fitted into that. I felt they sat more comfortably alongside the likes of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. Tbf, it doesn't really look like anyone else online really agrees with me.

I suppose I always saw Britpop as bands that were using their Britishness as a defining statement of who they were, parading the Union Jack and mod imagery or singing about very English places and preoccupations and I never felt Super Furry Animals fitted into that. I felt they sat more comfortably alongside the likes of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. Tbf, it doesn't really look like anyone else online really agrees with me.

Ahh Gorky's loved that band. Ray Davies would kill for a song like this.

Ahh Gorky's loved that band. Ray Davies would kill for a song like this.

Absolutely adore that song. One of my favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Im not sure of the boundaries of what sums up britpop , but Id have the manic street preachers at the top , and Kula Shaker would get a mention before most of them.
    Oh and shed seven were complete amateurs . Its amazing how big they got in England.

Advertisement