Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Britpop Band Besides Oasis and Blur

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Kula Shaker had two very good albums but their latest should have stayed in the can. The Magic was gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

thesultan wrote: »
    Kula Shaker had two very good albums but their latest should have stayed in the can. The Magic was gone

Well there was a gap of like ten years between album 2 and 3 . Plus they split up in that time. Some journalist realised in indian mythicism or whatever their into the swastica is a symbol for love or something like that. So he ambushed him with a question like how do you feel when you see this. Chrispian replied its a lovely symbol or something .
    Q the Kula Shaker are nazis headlines.
    It kinda ruined them .
    There are very few britpop bands that made anything close to youll be greatful when your dead , hush, mystical machine gun or 303 , they even made indian music sound cool .
    I think them 2 albums alone get them up there past everyone on the list except maybe pulp the verve and maybe supergrass.

I loved them two albums' 'Start All Over' is some song

• Registered Users Posts: 56,498 ✭✭✭✭walshb

OCS to me were better than Oasis and Blur. Great band.

walshb wrote: »
    OCS to me were better than Oasis and Blur. Great band.
    Totally agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Always loved the Candyskins and thought they should have been much bigger than they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

The Verve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I voted for Suede. The first two Sleeper albums are killer. And Louise Wener's memoir, Different For Girls, is absolutely superb.
    If they're included in the Britpop category (which I doubt they are, 'cos they were active before the phrase was commonplace) Teenage Fanclub wipe the floor with everyone. Every home should have Bandwagonesque, Thirteen, Grand Prix and Songs from Northern Britain.
    Finally, I'll stick my neck out and suggest Embrace. :o I know they're widely ridiculed , but the first album and most of its singles' b-sides are great (and people out there must have liked them, 'cos they played here at least three or four times). Quality control goes downhill after the debut, but I feel obliged to mention them, just for old times sake.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Finally, I'll stick my neck out and suggest Embrace. :o I know they're widely ridiculed , but the first album and most of its singles' b-sides are great (and people out there must have liked them, 'cos they played here at least three or four times). Quality control goes downhill after the debut, but I feel obliged to mention them, just for old times sake.

Im a big fan of Embrace, first album is a belter. As you said it goes downhill but they have some cracking tunes on all their albums hidden among the filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Great time for me- buying Vox and Select. And there always seemed to be great gigs here, I think my first was OCS in the Olympia. Buying the CD single of some of the above bands and the 7" just because they looked cool. B sides back then were quality. Loved SFA more than any group back then, Radiator was a brilliant album. Also had a thing for Sonia from Echobelly :)

Cast were one of my favourite bands of the time, they played some great gigs here at the time, Red box, Olympia. Derided by the musical press at the time, and being older now I can see why to a certain extent but All Change is a great album from start to finish and Mother Nature Calls has some great songs on there as well.

Bluetonic by the Bluetones has to be one of the singles of that era.

• Advertisement

Slight Return is my favourite of theirs. I remember watching the chart show on SKy one which used to be on Saturdays back then. Always came to hear great songs on it . Slight return, a few supernaturals, u16 girls Travis, Govinda Kula Shaker, You've got it bad by OCS , Herman loves Pauline SFA etc....

Advertisement