Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why has there not been any riots?

• 28-02-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I took a cab when I was in the States over the summer, the driver seemed to know a surprising amount about Irelands economic problems. His unbiased and heartily refreshing view was that "You guys should go tell the E.U. to go F**k themselves"

Why are we lying down and allowing the government be bullied by the ECB into paying the unsecured bonds of a private bank. Bondholders thought to include the likes of Goldman Sachs etc.
    The cowardly anti-robin hood of our current government, who lied to get into power, are continuing the unconscionable decisions of the past regime to burden the financial problems of European banks disproportionately on the Irish people. At the end of next month a certain promissory note is due.

People should be marching to ensure that this is not paid.

People should be rioting if it is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

oh my God you're right, why hasn't there been a thread on this exact topic before?!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Effort of all that rioting business, shur won't someone else get it done for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Off with you......
    I'll meet you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

In fairness.

Effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Not enough JD sports in Ireland to incite a riot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

People are too busy making threads asking why aren't we rioting.

These thread writings are important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Ireland has a bad record for protesting against anything we tend to bend over and let anyone have a go. The simple fact is the Irish are cowards always have been. I for one am making a stand against this through household charge protests hopefully this will lead to people seeing that marching and standing up against this government and Europe ( The Forth Reich ) ...... but then again it is Irish we are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

humberklog wrote: »
    People are too busy making threads asking why aren't we rioting.

These thread writings are important.

there are other threads on this topic?? what?? i'm outraged!!

i should....

grr...

erm...

write a strongly worded letter to someone...

what's the address for arthur's mailbag??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sauve wrote: »
    Off with you......
    I'll meet you there.
    Yup. Why don't people who lament the lack of rioting... start a riot?
    Why does it always have to be "the other guy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

In fairness its our lot that got us where we are, the ecb are only gonna try get us out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Ireland has a bad record for protesting against anything we tend to bend over and let anyone have a go. The simple fact is the Irish are cowards always have been. I for one am making a stand against this through household charge protests hopefully this will lead to people seeing that marching and standing up against this government and Europe ( The Forth Reich ) ...... but then again it is Irish we are talking about
    And you're one of them. Why speak about the Irish as if they're the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Rhamiel wrote: »
    I took a cab when I was in the States over the summer, the driver seemed to know a surprising amount about Irelands economic problems. His unbiased and heartily refreshing view was that "You guys should go tell the E.U. to go F**k themselves"

Why are we lying down and allowing the government be bullied by the ECB into paying the unsecured bonds of a private bank. Bondholders thought to include the likes of Goldman Sachs etc.
    The cowardly anti-robin hood of our current government, who lied to get into power, are continuing the unconscionable decisions of the past regime to burden the financial problems of European banks disproportionately on the Irish people. At the end of next month a certain promissory note is due.

People should be marching to ensure that this is not paid.

People should be rioting if it is.

What will rioting solve? do you honestly think it could possibly have a positive outcome?
    I would be in favour of a peaceful demonstration but not rioting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Too cold, maybe when it gets a bit warmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Dudess wrote: »
    Yup. Why don't people who lament the lack of rioting... starting a riot?

And right there.....we have the root of the entire problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

speak for yourself, some of us only let certain people have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The simple fact is the Irish are cowards always have been.

Actually, the simple fact is - you speak for yourself only. So don't apply your self-diagnosis to the rest of us please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Rioting and looting does wonders for an economy when it's down:rolleyes:

There must be no Boards.ie equivalent in Greece as they're rioting great guns and the rioting is really working for them too. Working really, really well.

Maybe if we pulled the plug for a week or two on the on-line outlets for ranting then the rallying cries of threads like this wouldn't read so vacuously.

Then we could start rioting. Rioting really well, as good as (if not better) than the greeks but hopefully with the same success it's brought Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Old Perry wrote: »
    In fairness its our lot that got us where we are, the ecb are only gonna try get us out

No we're not. Thats the prevailing attitude that allows us to take it in the butt. Anglo Irish was a private bank that did most its big deals in London. It bonds were held by banks in London, Berlin etc who gambled on them in the hope they'd profit handsomely on the interest. Gamble failed and now for some ridiculous, embarrassing reason we (the people of this country) have been signed up to pay back these "1%" institutions so we'll look dead sound to the European boys and their bad investments in a bad bank wont effect them but instead crushes our little country..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I don't predict a riot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Have you seen the price of petrol? to riot you need petrol bombs. We can't afford to riot...

Have you seen the price of petrol? to riot you need petrol bombs. We can't afford to riot...

And the lack of glass bottles. Everything's plastic now. They just land with a thud. Pure pants for the purose of rioting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

His unbiased and heartily refreshing view was that "You guys should go tell the E.U. to go F**k themselves"

Refreshing? You new here?

Besides the fact that this thread has been done before maybe just bear in mind that the US really doesn't like the EU. France vetoed Britain joining because they were worried about the US influence (rightly so IMO) and in general the US doesn't like the idea of a more integrated European economy because it'll knock them off their perch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Making a protest doesn't have to involve riots and thankfully we haven't trashed the place so far, As for the E.U. well we are a part of it so protesting against it won't bring us any benefits, Its our politicians businessmen bankers and useless regulatory bodies that put us in the mess, We should be demanding change and so far with FG/Lab we haven't seen it. Fair play to those who are refusing to pay the property charges Their refusal to pay will put the pressure on the government and a result will be achieved without violence.

There must be no Boards.ie equivalent in Greece as they're rioting great guns and the rioting is really working for them too. Working really, really well.

Maybe if we pulled the plug for a week or two on the on-line outlets for ranting then the rallying cries of threads like this wouldn't read so vacuously.

Then we could start rioting. Rioting really well, as good as (if not better) than the greeks but hopefully with the same success it's brought Greece.

I'm aware of the futility on online rants and destructive rioting but surely one has to start somewhere to change our social procrastination on what is an incredible injustice.

I'm aware of the futility on online rants and destructive rioting but surely one has to start somewhere to change our social procrastination on what is an incredible injustice.

And we should start with the advice of a New York cabby that knows a "surprising amount"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So, you're going to riot because a taxi driver in an entirely different country said you should. Riiight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

The main reason why there have been no riot's yet is the living standard of most Irish people have not dropped to a level to warrant it

And we should start with the advice of a New York cabby that knows a "surprising amount"?

*Californian

Go clap Enda on the back then so.

• Advertisement

Go clap Enda on the back then so.

And you'll be rioting while I do? Deadly.

No we're not. Thats the prevailing attitude that allows us to take it in the butt. Anglo Irish was a private bank that did most its big deals in London. It bonds were held by banks in London, Berlin etc who gambled on them in the hope they'd profit handsomely on the interest. Gamble failed and now for some ridiculous, embarrassing reason we (the people of this country) have been signed up to pay back these "1%" institutions so we'll look dead sound to the European boys and their bad investments in a bad bank wont effect them but instead crushes our little country..

A private band? , who signed us up to take it in the ass?

The last government agreed that the State should pay €31bn to IBRC (formerly Anglo and Irish Nationwide) over a 13-year schedule ending in 2025. The first payment of €3.1bn was made in March 2011. The next payment is due on March 31.

If the European Union and the European Central Bank force us to make this payment, it would amount to increasing the totally unjustified, odious debt burden on the people of Ireland.

Old Perry wrote: »
    The last government agreed that the State should pay €31bn to IBRC (formerly Anglo and Irish Nationwide) over a 13-year schedule ending in 2025. The first payment of €3.1bn was made in March 2011. The next payment is due on March 31.

If the European Union and the European Central Bank force us to make this payment, it would amount to increasing the totally unjustified, odious debt burden on the people of Ireland.

Yes, exactly..... I never said a "private band" signed us up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

We're still too comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's no point rioting because some bunch of **** will hijack it for their own ends, and anyone else involved will be tarred with the same brush as the rent-a-mob ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sure worked for Greece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

bizmark wrote: »
    Sure worked for Greece

No-one in their right mind would want to throw any investments their way, they'd get torched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

LETS JUST BLOW SOMETHING UP FFS!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

The main reason why there have been no riot's yet is the living standard of most Irish people have not dropped to a level to warrant it

Its getting damn bloody close though, people can only tolerate so much and everyone has a breaking point where enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sindri wrote: »
    LETS JUST BLOW SOMETHING UP FFS!!!!!

Blow up your doll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭inagoodway

fwd the revolution :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Blow up your doll.

If I blow it up then she'll be able to resist my charms. ;)

And I like a woman who can't resist. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Talk to Joe he.l sort it out thats the farce of a country were living in..

bubbuz wrote: »
    Its getting damn bloody close though, people can only tolerate so much and everyone has a breaking point where enough is enough.
    Few months tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Few months tops.

We spent many a decade takin it up the ringer through much worse circumstances than this. The famine being a good example. I don't see peoples attitudes changing that much no matter how bad it gets.. And this isn't even as bad as the 80's!

jay-me wrote: »
    We spent many a decade takin it up the ringer through much worse circumstances than this. The famine being a good example. I don't see peoples attitudes changing that much no matter how bad it gets.. And this isn't even as bad as the 80's!
    This is far worse than the 80s. No one has any money. If labour wasnt in government now the unions would be marching every day of the week. One more harsh budget and there will be major public disorder in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    This is far worse than the 80s. No one has any money. If labour wasnt in government now the unions would be marching every day of the week. One more harsh budget and there will be major public disorder in this country.

When we realize all are RIGHTS are gone then we will get out but it will be to late by then as peoples rights are taken away day by day folk dont see it but it is happening slowly but very surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The special ingredients they ad to the water supply to keep us passive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Just open a supermacs near the dall.. get a few drunk students and away ya go..

• Advertisement
Advertisement