Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister makes visit to Co Waterford

Options
  • 28-02-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Apparetly Minister Phil Hogan was in Portlaw last Friday evening to view the local fire station which is looking for funding for a new building. He was accompanied by Deputy Paudie Coffey, Cllr Brendan Coffey and some members of the local fire service. I believe that other FG councillors are fuming at not being invited (missed a photo op!) and they are saying the reason it was kept low key is because big Phil was `concerned` that there might be a protest against his septic tank proposals and the household tax and `he has had enough of protests`!

I guess big Phil isn`t really that big:P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

MoodRacer wrote: »
    Apparetly Minister Phil Hogan was in Portlaw last Friday evening to view the local fire station which is looking for funding for a new building. He was accompanied by Deputy Paudie Coffey, Cllr Brendan Coffey and some members of the local fire service. I believe that other FG councillors are fuming at not being invited (missed a photo op!) and they are saying the reason it was kept low key is because big Phil was `concerned` that there might be a protest against his septic tank proposals and the household tax and `he has had enough of protests`!

I guess big Phil isn`t really that big:P
    It doesnt look to be that much of a secret , seeing as he was OFFICIALLY opening some place in Dungarvan on Friday.

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/business/news/mainbody,24761,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Suirview

Coffey was in Tramore at a Lifeguard event & Dungarvan at enterprise event with Big Phil on Friday last - not surprising then he's trying to get something in his own backyard too -

parish pump politics or working hard on the ground?

Not that much of a secret though like the thread says

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Suirview wrote: »
    not surprising then he's trying to get something in his own backyard too -

Well , in fairness, if it is something to do with the firestation , I wouldnt see that as geting something in his own backyard. I mean, its an emergency service. A nessessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Suirview

Well , in fairness, if it is something to do with the firestation , I wouldnt see that as geting something in his own backyard. I mean, its an emergency service. A nessessity.

It seems Coffey has delivered the fire station - he has it announced on this weeks local media

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

sssshhhh!!! Don't tell anyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I love politics for this very reason.

If the fire station was blocked, there would be public outrage. Now that the fire station was approved, its all quiet.

It just makes me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Sully wrote: »
    I love politics for this very reason.

If the fire station was blocked, there would be public outrage. Now that the fire station was approved, its all quiet.

It just makes me laugh!

You stand up for these politicians alot on these forums, remember these guys are on roughly one hundred grand a year, they get paid very very well.

Paudie Coffey has not yet delivered for his county as a politician to justify his wages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You stand up for these politicians alot on these forums, remember these guys are on roughly one hundred grand a year, they get paid very very well.

Paudie Coffey has not yet delivered for his county as a politician to justify his wages.

A back bench TD is on less than one hundred grand a year. Their wage has been cut at the core and this excludes taxation on top of it that we all pay on our wages. So there on less as standard, then take taxes from that and its less again.

A TD works behind the scenes, raising issues, speaking in parliamentary party meetings, speaking when permitted in the Dail, writing to Ministers seeking answers on various issues and pushing for various changes - for example, investment into various harbours and piers in County Waterford, investment for Viking Triangle, investment for the new fire station, the courthouse extension and so on. Its Paudies job to represent the people of Waterford on these issues and others like the hospital, the council merger and so on.

A lot of the work Paudie and other TDs (opposition included) is on public record and easily accessible for members of the public. But because they are not in the public eye on national newspapers and national media - people assume they are useless and haven't delivered. That's the job of a Minister, not a TD.

You can be damn sure that all our representatives across the divide are working very hard and shouting loudly behind closed doors about Waterford and when they can, they raise issues in a public fora also like speaking in the Dail. But a lot of the behind scenes stuff we don't see or read about does happen and is easily accessible for any joe soap to discover online and read all about what they are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I don't no how to quote peoples posts.
    Backbench TD's make more than 100 grand a year if you include all the lovely little add ons they get on their wages.
    Do you think Paudie will be elected next time around?
    He is very good at helping people on a personal level, but on a county level...
    Sully you have a biased opinion of Paudie, so of course you will defend him. But if you are having aspirations of becoming a good politician dont become another yes man and toe the party line like Paudie and the rest.

Advertisement