Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney breast strength/support? Help.

• 28-02-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

This evening I decided to put my tv bracket onto the chimney breast. So to begin with, the masonry bit went into the wall like butter into 3 of the 4 holes. Could I have hit mortar joints each time? The dust smelled like ash, so it made me think that the wall was pretty burned out, it's a very old house. I don't want to risk putting my tv up here. Would it fall out from the wall? Has anyone had this problem before? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,452 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would suggest that you don't mount the TV on the wall and in the short-medium term, have the chimney checked out. Ist he fireplace or any adjacent (possibly including your neighbour's) fireplace in use at any time of the year?
    pARTner81 wrote: »
    So to begin with, the masonry bit went into the wall like butter into 3 of the 4 holes.
    It would make me wonder about the structural integrity of the chimney. Now while the wall may be adequate in compression (brick sitting on brick), it may not be adequate in tension (the bolts wanting to pull from the wall).
    Could I have hit mortar joints each time?
    At the same height possibly, but at different heights, unlikely. What colour was the dust?
    The dust smelled like ash,
    To be somewhat expected
    Would it fall out from the wall?
    Possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Was it a black dust that came out? Some blocks in older houses can be like that.

What TV are you hanging, how much weight is in it? does the bracket pull away from the wall? or does the TV just hang on it?

You'll know how strong the wall is when you try screw the fixings home. It should be grand if its an LCD and is mounting flush, as all the fittings will be loaded in sheer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Drill some more test holes (with smaller bit) behind and across the width and height of the TV as a way of mapping the structure.

When you fill the holes, they'll be hidden by the TV, If they keep coming up dodgy then you'll be taking down at least the plaster if not the brickwork so the holes won't matter.

You might also get away with mounting a spreader plate on the wall with multiple fixings and mounting the TV on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

There were four holes drilled, one was pretty resistant to the drill( which felt normal) but the others went in far too easily. There's no house on the other side. The dust from each side was a yellow fine dust and the other side was a more coarse grey. I think I'll just have to find another wall to put it.

Advertisement