Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friend Break Up

• 28-02-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Was wondering if anybody has ever broken up with a close friend before?

I have no particular reason...just sick and tired of the same old crap coming from his mouth.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Advice as in should you do it? or advice as in how to do it? :confused:

i say do it. life is too short to waste on people you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

How to do it? Should I lie and say im leaving the country for a couple of months or just be brutally honest - which is worse? Don't feel great about either tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I have no particular reason...just sick and tired of the same old crap coming from his mouth.

Any advice?

Go fúck yourself works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I walked away from my main group of "friends" last year after getting constantly lied to and screwed over again and again.
    It's not easy. Anyone who says it's easy is just saying that, no point in sugar coating it - it hurts. It's crushing. But you get through it, slowly, and eventually you realize that you're better off without that crap.

As someone said above, life is too short to let people stress you out. You deserve better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

How to do it? Should I lie and say im leaving the country for a couple of months or just be brutally honest - which is worse? Don't feel great about either tbh

There is an in between those two options! you could be honest about it, but does it really matter? what would anyone gain out of pure honesty here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Are you simply bored with him or is it that his antics impact negatively upon you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Yeah id known these lads from primary school but I just realised last year we are very different people and their constant cynicism just got to me. Now I feel a lot better though

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

Are you simply bored with him or is it that his antics impact negatively upon you?

A bit of both. I do like the guy don't get me wrong, my outlook on life has changed and when I talk to him I just feel down. He kind of saps the energy from me. The last think I want to do is hurt him but it looks like I have no choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A bit of both. I do like the guy don't get me wrong, my outlook on life has changed and when I talk to him I just feel down. He kind of saps the energy from me. The last think I want to do is hurt him but it looks like I have no choice

Take a time out and do your own thing for a while, don't burn any bridges but don't make yourself available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Seems like you're being fair and are cognisant of the potential to cause hurt.

Some friends are kept, some fall by the wayside, occasionally it's dramatic, most other times it's a gradual distancing that occurs.

Only you know how to play it, hope it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Go to couples therapy, maybe there is no need for you to break up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

oh I had the exact same thing with a friend before. He would put me in a bad mood after meeting up with him, was very selfish, and self-centered. So I just kept putting off our time to meet up. I felt really bad, but it had to be done, eventually he moved to Oz, so I didn't need to lie anymore.
    Now I wasn't that close with this guy, so could get away with it, but I dunno how close you are with your mate. Maybe just don't invite him out with you, or decline invitations for a while, and see how ya get on.
    good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Do you really wanna go the length of lying about leaving the country? Reminds me of this:

Brutal honesty is better and probably easier in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Any advice?

Do you need advice? just drift apart, if that is what you want to do, don't hit him or her up with ultimatum crap, it ties you in knots and cut your options and cause needless hurt.

But the above does not apply to intimate relationships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Eh OP? By any chance may it be me who you are referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

How to end a friendship with another fella;
    http://i.imgur.com/YdbsM.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Say, "I have to tell you this - as a friend". Then point out whats pi$$ing you off, but in a constructive critism kind of way, not in a mean way. End it with "I'm not saying this to hurt you, but if your mates cant tell you, then who can?"

This will either:

A) get it off your chest, possibly making you feel better around him, and improving your relationship.

B) make him realise the times he can be overbearing, and hopefully he'll make an effort to change.

C) offend him, which might result in HIM telling YOU to go and feck off. Job done.

One thing it will DEFINATLEY do is put you on an honest footing with him. No need to feel guilty or two-faced anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Posted like a true friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Your relationship has been dying down, so why not phase him out? You only have to tell him whats going on if he asks. But chances are he is feeling the change too and he might be glad he doesn't have to do the leg work. Soon you will be only talking once a month... then every six. It goes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Any advice?

Well instead of just cutting him out of your life just yet, have you talked to him about how you feel? maybe he's clueless that he's driving you mad and if you said it to him he'd change his ways?

I'd give him the chance anyway if he is as you say a close friend. I'd feel I'd owe it to a friend to at least do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Just unfriend him on Facebook. Let the internet do the dirty work.

token101 wrote: »
    Just unfriend him on Facebook. Let the internet do the dirty work.

And what does he tell him the next time he meets him and the friend asks why he unfriended him on FB?
    better to man up and talk to him face to face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If I'm bored of someone or find them starting to grate, I spend less time with them socially, and that fixes it.
    I wouldn't terminate a friendship unless they did something bad. Usually an action that effects me or someone I like in a way I dont accept. Much more rarely because of bad behaviour towards strangers.
    I disagree with choosing friends for entertainment value. Someone can be great fun, but horrible - or boring, but decent and reliable. The latter type are a lot more valuable as friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

yup. had a mate who I was good friends with for years, but just over the course of about a year, grew apart. doesnt help the fact that he was extremely two faced and clearly jealous of me.

I still bump into him the odd time due to having some mutual friends, but we never say much and just avoid each other. Im not loosing sleep over it though. I have a very good life which im grateful for, and if he wants to start hanging out with me or get in contact with me again, then thats fine, but I wont be the one initiating the conversation.

The guy had a bit of a hero complex about him due to the fact that he did a bit of weight lifting, and thought he was Brock Lesnar or something and did the whole pigeon chest puff and all that :rolleyes: He is probably the most non intimidating person ive ever met.

OP, if you really dont want to continue being mates with him, you will just naturally drift apart and loose contact with him over time, it happens lots of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I say bottle up all those emotions until you are a high pressure volcano. Then on a night out start off with a few pints and then go on the whiskey...

.. the next morning when you wake up in a police station cell and your former friend is in hospital suffering from grievous bodily harm you friendship will be well and truly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Greentopia wrote: »
    And what does he tell him the next time he meets him and the friend asks why he unfriended him on FB?
    better to man up and talk to him face to face.

He tells him to **** off and ask Facebook what the craic is. Facebook was the one that unfriended him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I've done it OP, and it was really hard. I do regret that I just 'phased them out' as opposed to being more honest with them though. It may have been easier on me, but it probably wasn't very fair on her. I feel bad that I never gave her an explanation (we were really close, for a very long time). It had to be done, but I'm still not sure if I went about it the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I say bottle up all those emotions until you are a high pressure volcano.

Did you see this?!
    Senna wrote: »
    How to end a friendship with another fella;
    http://i.imgur.com/YdbsM.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

If I'm bored of someone or find them starting to grate, I spend less time with them socially, and that fixes it.
    I wouldn't terminate a friendship unless they did something bad. Usually an action that effects me or someone I like in a way I dont accept. Much more rarely because of bad behaviour towards strangers.
    I disagree with choosing friends for entertainment value. Someone can be great fun, but horrible - or boring, but decent and reliable. The latter type are a lot more valuable as friends.

How many fuc*ing friends have you got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Any advice?

Get drunk and try to bone his gf/sister/mother....

token101 wrote: »
    He tells him to **** off and ask Facebook what the craic is. Facebook was the one that unfriended him.

:D but of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    How many fuc*ing friends have you got?
    huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Any advice?

Life is too short to waste on people you don't like, just cut your ties and move on. I wish i'd figured that out a lot earlier than i actually did, would have saved me a lot of time, money, heartache and even the odd hiding!!
    Be yourself and fúck anyone that doesn't fit into whatever that entails.
    Trust me you'll be much happier in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

newmug wrote: »
    Say, "I have to tell you this - as a friend". Then point out whats pi$$ing you off, but in a constructive critism kind of way, not in a mean way. End it with "I'm not saying this to hurt you, but if your mates cant tell you, then who can?"

This will either:

A) get it off your chest, possibly making you feel better around him, and improving your relationship.

B) make him realise the times he can be overbearing, and hopefully he'll make an effort to change.

C) offend him, which might result in HIM telling YOU to go and feck off. Job done.

One thing it will DEFINATLEY do is put you on an honest footing with him. No need to feel guilty or two-faced anymore.

this seems like good advice. I would be careful what you say it so he cannot just say it didn't happen or you are nuts.

My after hours response:
    1. suggest an exciting trip to see the cliffs of moher.
    2 push your friend off the cliffs of Moher. / Leave your friend at the cliffs of Moher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Any advice?

You're not their friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just cut contact with them gradually, make excuses as to why you cant meet up, ignore calls/texts for a day or so, it'll gradually die itself and you can get on with your life, failing that, ride him....its a sure way to kill a friendship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When I was about thirteen I was hanging around with two lads. Myself and one of the lads were talking about how to get rid of the other one. I suggested running while his back was turned, so we did. He eventually caught up with us and said "if you don't want to be friends with me just say so". We both said in unison "we don't want to be friends with you" and laughed. That got rid of him.

You should try that.

In case anyone feels sorry for him I should point out that we went to primary school together and he once almost killed me by putting a plastic bag over my head for about fifteen seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Noise reducing earphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dhayashi

I am confused!! Are you trying to break up with a friend that you're dating, or end a friendship?

My personal opinion is that if you call this person your friend, you should be a friend to them as well! That means if they are always doing the same old thing and it reflects negatively upon them, talk to them about it! That is what a friend would do...point out things that they think need to be said and help their friends grow and become better people. The same idea would apply to someone you were dating, if you care about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

pissing in their kettle, rubbing your bum on their pillow.
    Fairy Liquid in toilet cistern -> :-)

re-creating their facebook account, then invite them & all their mates until you have a replica - that seems to pi$$ of ppl alot for some reason..

PM me - I know ways....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 dday

Any advice?[/Quote

Yes that happened to me, was mentally and physically drained ... I was happy go lucky person and yet I always felt miserable .. Self absorbed .. Then I met a few
    Of his friends and they said da same thing ... I was gob smacked .. So it came to a head and I cut ties ... U feel awful for a while but it's fine as u move on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Just start developing a new group of friends. Eventually you'll start to drift from the group you're with now. If you do have a specific group of friends at the minute, and you badly want away from the one friend, then you're the one that's going to have to leave the group, you can't push the other person away because other people mightn't have a problem with him/her.

Or you could just be open about the whole thing and say to the person that you find them to be a rather large bellend. Make sure not to mix up "be" with "have".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I broke up with a friend OP. If we were meant to be going anywhere she would conveniently fall asleep and either be late or she'd ring hours later using this bad excuse. If we went to a niteclub she was too cool for school and would stand there with a scowl on her face and no one was allowed to enjoy themselves around her.

I got sick of this so I text her one day asking was there something wrong with her and she replied no why? So of course I went on saying she is always falling asleep and had very high and low moods and I might have suggested she might have bipolar. That kind of got rid of her. :cool:

I have much better friends now who i enjoy hanging around with.

Life is too short to be hanging around with people who drag you down.

Advertisement