Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Walking or Hiking Groups

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

I bought a bar attachment for my bike which is attached under the saddle and projects out to the side of the bike about 20 inches. It keeps Lola at a safe distance from me while cycling. Didnt take much training as she was too busy running to keep up to be distracted by anything. She too has loads of energy and when walking her on lead I was too slow for her. This way she gets a good exercise session and releases pent up energy.

For long cycles during the summer i have a rear dog trollie that she can sit in and rest for a while. it means I have to do all the work pulling both her and the trolley!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Whispered wrote: »
    ISDW - what is the training process for this? Does your dog have to be 100% on the lead or do you somehow maintain some control?

You need an antennae to keep the lead away from the front wheel, and you need to work with your dog on commands for left and right (haw and gee in usual mushing circles), so that you can get the dog to turn before you do, as they'll reach the turn first. Most people will start training with the dog attached to them, and walking or running before going onto the bike. You need to be very vigilant and keep the line tight at all times, so depends how fast your dog is, how much time your brakes are on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

lilylarkin wrote: »
    I bought a bar attachment for my bike which is attached under the saddle and projects out to the side of the bike about 20 inches. It keeps Lola at a safe distance from me while cycling. Didnt take much training as she was too busy running to keep up to be distracted by anything. She too has loads of energy and when walking her on lead I was too slow for her. This way she gets a good exercise session and releases pent up energy.

For long cycles during the summer i have a rear dog trollie that she can sit in and rest for a while. it means I have to do all the work pulling both her and the trolley!!:(

Where did you get the trolley, I am thinking strongly of camping this year and would like to bring the 2 rotties, onw would be too old for long hauls and the other would be too young, so walking and cycling with them in buggy would be great, I haven't trained them to the bike. I might train the young rottie, they're very lazy though:o

Gu4u, i bought it online. Searched around for the cheapest i could find. Cant remember from whom i ordered it. Leave it with me for a few days and Il see if i can find any receipt or invoice

found it! Bought it on ebay:

NEW DOG PET Bicycle Bike Trailer GREY BLACK ORANGE (130397865803)
    il send you a pm of the seller as im not sure if i can post that

• Advertisement
Advertisement