Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at Merrion Centre - Tesco

Options
  • 28-02-2012 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭

What a sham of a place this car park is. My mum went shopping there last week, met a friend, did some shopping, had a coffee etc etc.

She parked in the carpark downstairs and because she spent more than 2 h ours shopping in THAT centre she received a car parking fine of €50 (€35 if paid within 18 days).

Now I don't need someone to right and wrong me that it is in the terms and conditions of the parking there that you cannot park for more then that long, a measure clearly in place to stop hospital visitors abusing that car park. I know this, but I think most of us would assume if we're in a shopping centre, it's ok to park there whilst we're there.

However I think its absolutely disgraceful that someone is punished for spending time and money (of which my mum hasn't a lot of;money that is!) in various shops in that center. The fact that there is no exemption is disgraceful. I hear so much of shops and centres begging for customers because Dundrum is ruining shopping for smaller Dublin centres but it's not; behaviour like this is. For someone to buy food in the cafe, buy some clothes in the clothes shop, buy some food in the Tesco and pick up some magazines in the newsagent to be fined/punished for taking too long is ridiculous.

Just a heads up in case anyone has the nerve to spend more that 2 hours in this hole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

You forgot to mention how difficult it is getting in and out of the parking spaces as the place is so cramped!

Did your mum keep her receipts? She might be let off if they show date and time...worth a try..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Lets get this clear here, by fine what exactly do you mean ? i.e Clamped or ticket on the window, and when you say it's only €35 if paid within 18 days, who does she pay, if it's a private company I'd tell them to go fcuk themselves as I doubt they have any legal way to make you pay

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Take a deep breath and try and see it from the other side.

You've pointed out all the reasons why the system is in place, your mother should definitely try and appeal showing her receipts, but I don't blame them for putting this in. They're right beside a hospital that charges a lot for parking, they're beside a very good bus service which would tempt people to leave their cars there all day long.

What alternatives do you propose?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Take a deep breath and try and see it from the other side.

You've pointed out all the reasons why the system is in place, your mother should definitely try and appeal showing her receipts, but I don't blame them for putting this in. They're right beside a hospital that charges a lot for parking, they're beside a very good bus service which would tempt people to leave their cars there all day long.

What alternatives do you propose?

Some sort of appeal procedure that if you're shopping in the centre and can prove it with receipts, there is leeway. I completely see what you're saying about people abusing the car park but is it worth angering and driving your actual customers away to prevent the abusers, there needs to be a balance there. 2 hours is barely any time before a fine applies.
    uch wrote: »
    Lets get this clear here, by fine what exactly do you mean ? i.e Clamped or ticket on the window, and when you say it's only €35 if paid within 18 days, who does she pay, if it's a private company I'd tell them to go fcuk themselves as I doubt they have any legal way to make you pay

It was Europarks (I think is their name) and it was a parking ticket on the window. To be honest I don't think she's going to pay and she'll fight it if she has to, probably in vain but it's the principal of it. She tried ringing everyone but she keeps being told how she was given "an extra 15 minutes" above what she was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Have a look in the motoring forum, the lads there are much more experienced in this and will advise better.

21/25

• Advertisement

How would they even get her details? A private company would have no access to such information surely?

Advertisement