Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overdraft problem

Options
  • 28-02-2012 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

hi, i was just wondering about gettin a overdraft of 300euro to pay for a holiday?

i dont know how to go about setting it up? can i just do it over the phone?

i have a income of on average 400euro a month. so i will be able to pay it back.

the thing im worried about is, sometimes my accoun goes into minus because i sometimes buy things online, i.e currently my accoun is at -46.03. but i get paid next week.

what should i do?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

don't think you will get that amount on a overdraft.
    i'd got a overdraft with Bank of Ireland of E350 euro and my income was E550 a week ,so i say you will be turn down for it.

Anyway to employ for a loan .just go to you're bank and fill out a form for it,you should get a call back on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭timex711

but its a one off overdraft im trying to get, i need to pay for a holiday, and as far as i know my account is still a student account

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

its all counts on how much money you earn and how fast you can pay it back ,your better off geting a loan then a overdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

wardy2 wrote: »
    don't think you will get that amount on a overdraft.
    i'd got a overdraft with Bank of Ireland of E350 euro and my income was E550 a week ,so i say you will be turn down for it.

Anyway to employ for a loan .just go to you're bank and fill out a form for it,you should get a call back on it..

I applied for an overdraft of 350 eur in BOI, and my weekly net is 450, and got declined..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Apply for a loan if it is a one off thing. Overdrafts are generally for general use. They get used every month. People use them as a buffer in case something happens they will still have funds for use.

Overdrafts also have a higher interest rate. €400 per month would not be good to show them for an overdraft. A small loan may be best really.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info. on a student account would you be able to get a loan of about 300-400euro. and what would i need to do to apply for a loan, thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

If your a student I'd say you could get an overdraft. I got a €500 one from AIB no questions asked. Upping it to €1500 with my dad as a guarantor next week.

well as far i know my account is a student account, but i dropped out last year. and if u dont mind me asking what income did you have into your account for that overdraft

I had around €300 in the account but no regular income

i just applyed for a loan of 500euro there online with boi. anyone ever do this?

how did it go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I have been a customer with Permanent TSB for over a year and have my wages paid in every week. I just called to enquire about an OD facility and they said because I earn less than 30k in a year, I am immediately disqualified from applying for any loan products - can this be true? Regardless of credit history or length of time with the bank?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Never heard of that, boi wanted 600 euro maintained bal in current account! Why would i want an over draft then? You can complain to the customer service section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Never heard of that, boi wanted 600 euro maintained bal in current account! Why would i want an over draft then? You can complain to the customer service section.
    Done that, waiting for reply. I know what you're saying about the balance maintained at certain level. My dad always jokes that to obtain a loan you first have to prove you dont need it.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 marywary

I think aib do interest free overdraft for students up to €1500, not sure if parent has to guarantee though. Am sure if parent were to guarantee then they'd be no problem with your request though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    If your a student I'd say you could get an overdraft. I got a €500 one from AIB no questions asked. Upping it to €1500 with my dad as a guarantor next week.

Did it take long to be approved?

It was 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Thank you!

Advertisement