Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Router keeps slowing down

• 28-02-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I've been with Eircom for 3-4 years and had no problems until a few weeks ago when the internet stopped working. Eircom diagnoised it as a problem with the router (a silver coloured one with two aerials). They sent me out a new one (Black one with one aerial & ~€50 cost added to the bill as the old one was out of warranty). Since then the broadband speed drops off significantly during the day. I phoned eircom support and was told I need to regularly switch off and on the router to maintain speeds. When I do that it is 5-7Mbs. As the day goes on (i.e. within an hour or so) it drops to 1-2mbs. If I go into the next day I'm getting 0.1-0.2mbs.

Eircom support are no use. I can't keep switching on and off the router everytime I need to use the internet. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking of just giving up and switching to another supplier.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Hiya there is hundreds of complaints here on that Eircom modem i believe it's a ZYXEL the one with the one aerial it's terrible and drops connection it's a know issue tbh i'd buy my own the ones Eircom supply are useless and don't work like they should.

Also charging you €50 for a modem that doesn't work properly is bad form my auntie recently had to get a new modem from them had a silver one until one day it stopped working replaced with the ZYXEL and now the connection breaks and is not as consistant as before from what i can gather it's a problem with this modems CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

jay93 wrote: »
    Hiya there is hundreds of complaints here on that Eircom modem i believe it's a ZYXEL the one with the one aerial it's terrible and drops connection it's a know issue tbh i'd buy my own the ones Eircom supply are useless and don't work like they should.

Also charging you €50 for a modem that doesn't work properly is bad form my auntie recently had to get a new modem from them had a silver one until one day it stopped working replaced with the ZYXEL and now the connection breaks and is not as consistant as before from what i can gather it's a problem with this modems CPU.

Send it back to them & ask for €50 euro credited to your bill-those modems are rubbish!
    You would be better off putting that €50 towards a decent ADSL router. I'm using a Belkin N600 N+ ADSL wireless ADSL router & swear by it. I don't know if it will turn out to be the solution to your problem but i have this router for the last 3 months when i threw out the Zytel router & everything is easier to use in it including port forwarding, DDNS, N range wifi-simple to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭touts

Thanks. I'll send it back and ask for my money back (or a bill credit). Then once that runs out I think I'll look to another supplier. A mate will lend me his router (he is not using it at the moment) for a few weeks until I get an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

touts wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll send it back and ask for my money back (or a bill credit). Then once that runs out I think I'll look to another supplier. A mate will lend me his router (he is not using it at the moment) for a few weeks until I get an alternative.
    You could Try the Eircom support guys in the eircom forum on boards they are very helpful and are usually very quick in responding to user bb problems.

Advertisement