Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby hates the car.

Options
  • 28-02-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi my little one hates the car.Pretty unusual for a baby everyone tells me.She is 4 1/2months old and has hated it since day 1!Doesnt matter what i do tried sitting in the back with her loads of toys etc.

Just wondering has anybody experienced this and did your little ones get over this.Dont no if it is the motion of the car or not been able to see anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi my little one hates the car.Pretty unusual for a baby everyone tells me.She is 4 1/2months old and has hated it since day 1!Doesnt matter what i do tried sitting in the back with her loads of toys etc.

Just wondering has anybody experienced this and did your little ones get over this.Dont no if it is the motion of the car or not been able to see anything.
    Our fella hated the car until we turned him front facing at 9-10 months (he's a big fella) - not a bother on him since.
    You might have to suck it up until she's big enough to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 randward

My little man is the same age and HATES the car too. I usually try to plan trips around his nap times so he will hopefully nod off because our journeys are usually from Dublin to Galway and a screaming baby the whole way is heart-breaking. Most of the time he will sleep but literally the other day I discovered that having the front passenger window open a fraction calmed him right down, I think it was the white noise sound. I have a mirror so that I can see his face and his breath wasn't taken away he was just sitting there calmly! Give it a try anyway...see what happens.
    Cant wait to be able to sit him forwards its definitely a lonely thing because when my partner sits in the back with him he's happy out!!
    Good luck xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my son is still rear facing at 16 months and doesnt bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Helpful

OP, if they don't like the car, don't put them in the car....it's not some rite of passage for babies.

In fact it's pretty unnatural for a baby to sit facing a big empty window wondering where it's mam and dad have gone.

Stop doing it, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

my 4 week hates it too, ive tried 3 dif car seats, no difference. i make trips short. my daughter hated car seat too, i tried her in all my friends car seats and she hayed them too. once she was 3 months and could see her toys, she calmed down but i used to wait till her nap too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jgiles wrote: »
    Helpful

OP, if they don't like the car, don't put them in the car....it's not some rite of passage for babies.

In fact it's pretty unnatural for a baby to sit facing a big empty window wondering where it's mam and dad have gone.

Stop doing it, simple.

Sometimes car trips are necessary though... you can't always walk/use public transport. Sometimes it's just not viable.

Does the baby have a soother? Would you try to use some aniseed and glycerine or chamomile syrup dipped on the soother? It helps my little girl in the car... she screams if she's in it without it, but the syrup helps her so suck long enough to nod off...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

thanks jgiles not a very helpful suggestion. Hav been sitting in the back wit her as of late has made a difference.just afraid to go out on my own with her it is pretty horrifying to hear her scream to get out.just think il have to grin and bare it. hopefully she might settle as she gets older.at least I know im not alone in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks jgiles not a very helpful suggestion. Hav been sitting in the back wit her as of late has made a difference.just afraid to go out on my own with her it is pretty horrifying to hear her scream to get out.just think il have to grin and bare it. hopefully she might settle as she gets older.at least I know im not alone in this!

So baby is screaming, but you're who's put out and has to "grin and bare it"?

At very least keep the trips as short as possible...horrible for baby to suffer like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My nephew was the same when he was a baby. His car seat was also his buggy seat, he was happy as larry in it until my brother would open the car door and start transferring the seat and then the tears would start, as soon as we'd reach the destination and the boot would open to get the wheels out he'd stop and be all smiles as if he hadn't spent the entire journey crying his little heart out - and giving us all a headache. Sitting in the back with him, talking to him, playing with him, none of that seemed to make any difference. It was really upsetting, but the reality was that they couldn't walk everywhere.

We think it was because he could feel the movement, but couldn't see anything. Once he was older and could see out a bit it was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Jgiles wrote: »

Helpful

Stop doing it, simple.

It's not that simple unfortunately.

OP...did the baby settle when you were in the back with her/him? Would it be worth disabling the passenger airbags in the front so she can sit beside you till she's ready to go in a forward facing seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

She has settled more when I sit beside her but takes alot of distracting for her.Playing talking etc she nods off then when were out and about driving.

I think it definitely is the motion and not been able to see as she would go all day in her buggy looking out and about.She is very nosy haha!

It is one of the hardest things to deal with the poor baby just hate listening to her scream really do try walk and take the bus everywhere possible but have to travel about 30 miles tomorow furthest since she was born!Im afraid to drive with her on my own as it is so distracting.

Advertisement