Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphic images on shop-street very disturbing

Options
  • 28-02-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

are they allowed?
    had the kids in town the weekend, parked in corbett court and came out the back door and right around the corner outside 02 was a very graphic pictures, i was very shocked at it tbh and the kids were asking alot off questions. i have not been down shop-street on a Saturday on a while so maybe this is not a new thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Could you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

it was a prolife group and they had graphic images, the one that i seen and the kids was a babys head being held up by a tongs - just the head.
    maybe its fact i buried a baby myself that i found it very upsetting but i just think its very disturbing, my 6 year old kept looking back and asking where the rest off the baby was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Personally that technique really doesn't endear me to any cause. There should be the same common sense applied to those images as to nudity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭francois

If you find the pictures offensive and upsetting or your kids do, say so to a Garda, they are obliged to investigate and if neccessary remove the offending pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

These self named 'pro-lifers' annoy me. I saw them at the entrance to Edward Square on Saturday with large photographs of what they claim is an aborted fetus. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but either way, they should be more considerate to the welfare of children on the street who they have inadvertently saved!!!

I personally do not support abortion but if someone else wants to terminate a pregnancy, that's their business. Same if they want to support Man United, eat boiled bananas or jump off a bridge... I can't decide for others nor do I want to.

Surely they can come up with a less graphic method of promoting their beliefs. The shock value is under-weighed by the potential to upset children.

I'm just glad my young kids didn't see the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

francois wrote: »
    If you find the pictures offensive and upsetting or your kids do, say so to a Garda, they are obliged to investigate and if neccessary remove the offending pictures
    Section 7, Public Order Act. That said, the proofs are a little higher than usual for that section but I'm sure the mention of it from a Garda will have them moved on quickstyle.

i think i might give the guards in mill-street a call see is there anything that can be done about it, they cant be doing business that they set up outside any favors either. if they want to collect signatures that's fine it can easily be done without these images. I don't see what purpose they have except to upset people that have had abortions or lost baby's.

ive made a complaint to Galway county council. will see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Those fanatics used to show similar pictures in Dublin years ago. Nothing was done then. It's sick in my opinion.

We're too tolerant of religious nutcases in this country. In any case what's the point of this campaign? They won the battle to keep Ireland a 'holy Catholic country' without abortion long ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Pro Lifers are the biggest adverts for abortion going

• Advertisement

shot2go wrote: »
    ive made a complaint to Galway county council. will see what they say.

You are barking up the wrong tree. You should reroute your compliant to Galway City Council because it happened in the city.

That said, I don't think it is within their remit unless the pro-lifers were handing out leaflets which is considered a littering offense if the leaflets are dumped on the street.

your right il resend it, they were handing out leaflets that were all over the street,they ran after me and another went after my partner he had younger kids in buggy and i had older child we both refused leaflets. there was leaflets all down shopstreet from them

It's hilarious how big a contrast there is between the romantic memory of the rebellious Irish and the disgusting spineless attitude of those in the present day.

Why not tell these people to their faces how you feel? Express your discontent to them, they obviously have no qualms about airing grievances in the middle of the street.

Or you could go and file some paper work with whatever inept a***hole you bump into in the County Hall. Your shout really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

They seem to show up every few months and try to shove a leaflet down your neck along with those graphic posters. I'm all for freedom of expression but what they do is too extreme and endears no one to their cause. Saw a guy arguing with them once about their posters and they roared and screamed at him, accusing him of being ignorant and one told him he was going to hell.

So basically a group that are willing to have a constructive debate. :mad:

my email is being forwarded to the Wardens Department - message from Galway city council.

i did not say anything to them because i had 3 young kids with me and i have heard story's off people confronting them about the photos been verbally abused.

maybe if there is enough complaints they will be refused a permit next time they apply.

shot2go wrote: »
    my email is being forwarded to the Wardens Department - message from Galway city council.

i did not say anything to them because i had 3 young kids with me and i have heard story's off people confronting them about the photos been verbally abused.

maybe if there is enough complaints they will be refused a permit next time they apply.

Permits are only required when financial activity occurs....collecting money or selling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's hilarious how big a contrast there is between the romantic memory of the rebellious Irish and the disgusting spineless attitude of those in the present day.

Why not tell these people to their faces how you feel? Express your discontent to them, they obviously have no qualms about airing grievances in the middle of the street.

Or you could go and file some paper work with whatever inept a***hole you bump into in the County Hall. Your shout really.
    Yes because arguing in the street will legally move them on?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They aren't rational in any shape or form. I tried, years ago to engage with them when they were outside where I was working. They only made me angry and kept shouting fire and brimstone statements in a loop.
    If they were leafleting that is something the city litter wardens can take issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I was up town with my mother and daughter on Saturday when we came across them, my mum was in tears after she caught sight of the picture of the baby's head being held up by tongs.
    Like many people my mother has lost babies and even after 30 odd years her pain is still raw.They also show photos of babies at different gestation's, my daughter was premature, i know what babies born at 25 weeks look like and unfortunately i have been witness to one little baby dying, and like my mother it still affects me to this day. I go up town to relax, have fun and to clear the head, not to be bombarded by some crawthumper's who think it is within their right to tell people what to do and how to live!
    We saw 2 Ban-Gardai and asked them were the group allowed to display such graphic images and they told her that 'Unfortunately they were, and there was nothing they could do!'

Why are they allowed to show such images? I'm sure the 'Pro-Palestine' people would have been moved on if they showed victim's of Israeli attacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

These people really tick me off, if they cared about kids they wouldn't be showing those awful images in the street for them to see. Surely that's disturbing the peace?

If as said above the guards cant do anything, what would happen if someone aimed some paint-filled water balloons/supersoaker solely at those posters to conceal them? Would that person be committing an offence to try to conceal these images? Does the right to show the offensive images supersede that kind of action? Anyone know?

(Hypothetically speaking of course, don't condone either action!;))

• Advertisement

Why are they allowed to show such images? I'm sure the 'Pro-Palestine' people would have been moved on if they showed victim's of Israeli attacks!
    I guarantee you that Palestine Solidarity and 32CSM get more hassle off the Gardaí than these scumbags. Priorities :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Eviledna wrote: »
    (Hypothetically speaking of course, don't condone either action!;))

Yeeesssss 'hypothetically' :)
    funny-dog-pictures-suspicious-sheltie-suspects-you.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Eviledna wrote: »
    what would happen if someone aimed some paint-filled water balloons/supersoaker solely at those posters to conceal them?
    Holy crap, that's exactly what i was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I personally do not support abortion but if someone else wants to terminate a pregnancy, that's their business. Same if they want to support Man United, eat boiled bananas or jump off a bridge... I can't decide for others nor do I want to.

You know, I pretty much agree with you - until you get to the bit about jumping off bridges. I know might have meant it as a a figure of speech, but in Galway it's a reality. And if I see someone who's about to do it, I do feel responsible to try to stop them - at least for the sake of their family, if not themselves. And I think that the health and public-safety systems should be providing treatment to reduce the chance of people wanting to do this.

Which raises interesting questions about why I treat the two differently.

As to showing the pictures - how's it different from showing graphic pictures of malnourished kids close to death in the TV ads? Or abused animals in the newspaper. Or even letting mentally ill people wander around the streets - kids can find that very upsetting too.

Don't get me wrong, I will not ever be out there with the anti-abortion protestors (am not calling them pro-life, 'cos most don't embrace the full implications of the term through all stages of life). And I do not believe that laws are the way to address the problem.

But these folks have a right to protest in public like everyone else does. And the materials they use are not lies or exaggerations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Here we go again.

Shower of self-righteous pricks. Why not just wreck their stall?

JustMary wrote: »
    You know, I pretty much agree with you - until you get to the bit about jumping off bridges. I know might have meant it as a a figure of speech, but in Galway it's a reality. And if I see someone who's about to do it, I do feel responsible to try to stop them - at least for the sake of their family, if not themselves. And I think that the health and public-safety systems should be providing treatment to reduce the chance of people wanting to do this.

Which raises interesting questions about why I treat the two differently.

As to showing the pictures - how's it different from showing graphic pictures of malnourished kids close to death in the TV ads? Or abused animals in the newspaper. Or even letting mentally ill people wander around the streets - kids can find that very upsetting too.

Don't get me wrong, I will not ever be out there with the anti-abortion protestors (am not calling them pro-life, 'cos most don't embrace the full implications of the term through all stages of life). And I do not believe that laws are the way to address the problem.

But these folks have a right to protest in public like everyone else does. And the materials they use are not lies or exaggerations.

Yeah JustMary, it was just a figure of speech. No bad intention on my behalf.

I actually really believe that their photographs are exaggerated. Of course they have a right to protest/demonstrate but they should use a bit of basic cop on. My perception of them is more of extremists than pro-lifers.

One of my kids was born prematurely and spent a long time in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for sick babies in Galway University Hospital. I befriended parents of a baby girl who was born at 24 weeks gestation that weighed 459 Grammes in an incubator who not only survived but thrived. I appreciate the value of life. I am a pro-lifer in the true sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think one way of looking at what's offensive or what isn't is to ask yourself would RTE show it before watershed without a *contains images that may be upsetting* - And these images are. Also, they are often misleading, and these crowd often carry images of very late term abortions, if abortions at all.

To be honest, adults can choose to look away, whereas kids can't.

As for comparing it to suicide, of course most of us would try to talk someone out of taking their own life if we saw it happen then and there, but at the end of the day, whether we deem it selfish or not, we can't watch someone every minute of every day, and it is their life. We can however take offense if people walk around with graphic death images as a deterrent. It doesn't really do much with the Anti Abortion (I agree with you Just Mary about not calling them pro-lifers) cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Here's a way for dealing with them peacefully.

The video is of the Westboro Baptist Church who are, imho, a dangerous group of fanatical God botherers.

The WBC don't particularly like the Irish, either: God Hates Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I'm sure Macnas could organise something like that and block them away too, great idea from those angel guys! I have to say like everyone here, those poster guys really annoy people. I've often thought about tackling them but as other posters have said they would be a little too in your face. I thought flyers were not allowed anymore due to litter and the person handing them out got fined like €150 per leaflet found?..... that might quiten them a bit.

• Advertisement

i never knew that about flyers, they were all over shopstreet.

Advertisement