Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphic images on shop-street very disturbing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Last year they were on campus and they set up a "graveyard" for all the babies "killed" by abortion, across from the kingfisher. It was an absolute fairy of a woman doing it. It really annoyed me and many others how she was pushing her views on everybody she wouldnt let anyone else have their say either.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Her body, her choice, It's that simple. In fact no one should vote on this topic other then the people it affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Her body, her choice, It's that simple. In fact no one should vote on this topic other then the people it affects.

The problem is that it affacts everybody in one way or another.

The woman-her partner-her family-her friends.

The chances are that she will always have someone close to her giving their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Arseholes.

People have a right to campaign for a cause and can show the images to people who stop and are interested in their cause. Ordinary people passing by have the right to walk down the street without having graphic images shoved in their faces and those of their families.

I would suggest next time if you have a decent camera on your phone you take photos of their setup with graphic images plastered up, and include those photos with your complaint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What about the Child? Do they get a vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

i never even taught off taking a few pictures and between us we had 2 new phones with decent cameras and i had my Nikon too to take some pics off kids.
    il remember for next time if i see them again.

cat_xx im glad i did not see the "graveyard".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Seaneh wrote: »
    What about the Child? Do they get a vote?

you have to be 18 to vote, didn't you know that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Since you're hauling in *that* debate...
    Her choice is to not get pregnant, after that it's not entirely her body anymore.
    Abortion as contraception? Barbaric.

Pictures of aborted foetuses, baby heads etc: Those types of pro-lifers disgust me, and imho are completely missing the point anyway. Its not wrong because it makes a mess of the corpse, its wrong because a human foetus is killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Back to the original subject, the type of posters/pictures described by the starter of this post should not be where children are likely to see them.

Who, in their right mind, wants to have to try explain them to a young child?. Let them have their childhood not nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Speaking from experience I can say that it's just shock value really and will alienate a hell of a lot more people from their cause. Its similar to the Sun or some other rag of a paper printing large offensive front pages in a desperate attempt to get some attention.
    I remember I was in Dublin once as a kid and I saw some similar posters and it did honestly shock me because I was so young and not used to seeing such graphic images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i think they only come out when there is a full moon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Eviledna wrote: »
    These people really tick me off, if they cared about kids they wouldn't be showing those awful images in the street for them to see. Surely that's disturbing the peace?

If as said above the guards cant do anything, what would happen if someone aimed some paint-filled water balloons/supersoaker solely at those posters to conceal them?

On previous occasions various groups have been moved and/or cautioned by An Garda Síochána for public indecency/obscenity. No permit is needed to protest, a permit is needed to collect monies and a certificate must be applied for and issued by the local Superindendant.

I advise you in the future to make a complaint to Mill St. Garda Station at the time of the demonstration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I was in Galway a few weeks back with my 9 year old. I think when you have a child with you they think you're an easy target as you simply must be pro-life.
    I'm not but the woman followed me trying to give me a leaflet. I was rushing past because all I could hear from my side was "mmmmmooooommmm, is that a baby in that picture?"
    I actually (and I'm normally quite placid) told the woman to get out of my f*cking way because "excuse me" and "can I get past" and "I'm not interested" were not working.

I did NOT want to have to have a conversation about foetuses and abortion with my 9 year old on a day when we were just trying to have a girly day out for her birthday.
    Had I been on my own I absolutely would have gone over and complained about the images but when you've a child with you, you've to get away as quick as you can.

These crazies are all for protecting the unborn but don't seem to mind scarring and scaring the kids who are already born.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

[/QUOTE]These crazies are all for protecting the unborn but don't seem to mind scarring and scaring the kids who are already born.[/QUOTE]

Nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 caramolly

Different types of people are attracted to different approaches. I personally don't believe showing those unfortunate pictures helps the cause for life.
    But some posters on here are using those pictures as an excuse to attack the pro-life movement in its entirety. There are people all over Ireland, from every profession, willing to engage in respectful debate with all the stakeholders on this massively important human rights issue and it's unfair to them to write off a whole movement based on posters' opinions of one groups approach. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 yelofmail

caramolly wrote: »
    Different types of people are attracted to different approaches. I personally don't believe showing those unfortunate pictures helps the cause for life.
    But some posters on here are using those pictures as an excuse to attack the pro-life movement in its entirety. There are people all over Ireland, from every profession, willing to engage in respectful debate with all the stakeholders on this massively important human rights issue and it's unfair to them to write off a whole movement based on posters' opinions of one groups approach. Just saying.

I'd have to agree with you there. I believe in the humanity of the unborn and I deplore that kind of tactic. Its not a religious issue its a human rights one. The picures are upsetting and the public square is not the place for these, they are not images meant for children. However let's not use this to silence debate and discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

caramolly wrote: »

Yeah, fair enough. It is just such a heated topic for many that they cannot help but say more than comment on just the images that this group carries. Like a lot of other issues, the boundaries are muddied by misrepresentation. This is not necessarily the place for the debate on women's reproductive rights or the 'pro-life movement', but rather to discuss these people whose actions are disturbing a lot of people who have leanings on *both* sides of that debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

If the pro-life movement want to have reasoned debate on this issue, then they should go about silencing these forceful ill informed religious lunatics with their posters as soon as possible, as it's very hard to disassociate one from the other.

If the pro-life movement want to have reasoned debate on this issue, then they should go about silencing these forceful ill informed religious lunatics with their posters as soon as possible, as it's very hard to disassociate one from the other.

I think the person who made the debate was trying to make the point that they do not represent everybody, whether on the pro-choice or anti-abortion side of the debate.

I agree that it is hard to separate these nut jobs from everyone connected with that 'cause' (particularly when you disagree strongly with said cause), but I'd concede that not everyone involved in this side of the debate is reduced to tactics like the group in question.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think the person who made the debate was trying to make the point that they do not represent everybody, whether on the pro-choice or anti-abortion side of the debate.

I agree that it is hard to separate these nut jobs from everyone connected with that 'cause' (particularly when you disagree strongly with said cause), but I'd concede that not everyone involved in this side of the debate is reduced to tactics like the group in question.

Of course I understand these people do not represent the majority, it's just very hard not to think of these lunatics when someone states they are pro-life. They remind me of the Westboro Baptist Church in a lot of ways.

Of course I understand these people do not represent the majority, it's just very hard not to think of these lunatics when someone states they are pro-life. They remind me of the Westboro Baptist Church in a lot of ways.

I know it's hard. I remember them reducing someone to tears outside where I worked, with their gore around the time of the X case. Irony is that was 20 years ago last month. I have met, and indeed there are posted on here who said they are personally 'pro-life' but that it is not their place to make that decision for someone else. To me that IS pro choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SoozieQ

I suppose it's very hard to convince people they're going about their campaign the wrong way - especially if they believe they're right!

I don't understand why they don't think about women who may have had abortions - aren't they worried that some of them might be very upset to see pictures like this on the street? :confused:

I'm prolife myself but I don't think it's right to show those pictures for that reason, probably because one of the main reasons why I don't agree with abortion is the fact that I'm really uncomfortable with the thought that the woman might suffer any bad side-effects afterwards.

SoozieQ wrote: »
    I suppose it's very hard to convince people they're going about their campaign the wrong way - especially if they believe they're right!

I don't understand why they don't think about women who may have had abortions - aren't they worried that some of them might be very upset to see pictures like this on the street? :confused:

I'm prolife myself but I don't think it's right to show those pictures for that reason, probably because one of the main reasons why I don't agree with abortion is the fact that I'm really uncomfortable with the thought that the woman might suffer any bad side-effects afterwards.

Very true, you won't convince some people, but those images are being used for a reason, to shock people, and it's something they've obviously put some thought into to go and get them printed out.

As for women who may have had abortions, you can be sure they're targeting them as well "for their sins". If a woman who had that procedure confronted that group I'd hate to think what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

SoozieQ wrote: »

I think the point of those pictures is to try to traumatise any woman who may have had an abortion, punish them for what they have done. They don't care about the effect on others adults or children they just want to shock and punish. It's bully boy tactics. For the record I'm anti-abortion for myself, I could not do it, but I'm pro-choice it's not up to me to dictate to others in different circumstances.
    My opinion on it being a way to shame and hurt women who have made a difficult choice I've held since SPUC did it regularly in Galway when I was growing up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's hilarious how big a contrast there is between the romantic memory of the rebellious Irish and the disgusting spineless attitude of those in the present day.

Why not tell these people to their faces how you feel? Express your discontent to them, they obviously have no qualms about airing grievances in the middle of the street.

Because "Don't feed the troll."

That's exactly what they want. These folks are terribly, terribly persecuted, don't you know, by all the abortions everyone is having in this country. :rolleyes:

They have a crusader complex, and offering them a tangible "enemy" just enables their whole biblical battle line fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Oh and by the way next time I see them I'll be walking straight down to Mill street and reporting them

Meteoric wrote: »
    I think the point of those pictures is to try to traumatise any woman who may have had an abortion, punish them for what they have done. They don't care about the effect on others adults or children they just want to shock and punish. It's bully boy tactics. For the record I'm anti-abortion for myself, I could not do it, but I'm pro-choice it's not up to me to dictate to others in different circumstances.
    My opinion on it being a way to shame and hurt women who have made a difficult choice I've held since SPUC did it regularly in Galway when I was growing up

I have to completely disagree with you when. It comes to this.
    The reason why is that is I accept the bona fides of the protesters even though I disagree with their methods. By this I mean I believe that they want to prevent future abortions by showing what happens. Any normal person will be repulsed by the images and any child will be scared. They know that the images effect, I don't believe that they are into punishing people, that would be counter productive. There are pro life people out there, including many women who deplore this and who do care for women in crisis situations. I know this because I'm proud to say some of them are my friends.

yelofmail wrote: »
    Any normal person will be repulsed by the images and any child will be scared.

Really? Oh yeah, I forgot, we come from a culture where certain elements of the Catholic right *loves* to scare children. I forgot:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Really? Oh yeah, I forgot, we come from a culture where certain elements of the Catholic right *loves* to scare children. I forgot:rolleyes:

You see that kind of remark says a lot more about you than anything else. I thought boards.ie was a civil forum for discussion and not that kind of sarcasm, if people want that they can find it elsewhere.

Advertisement