Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Week 1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

1-0 UCD at half time. Woeful game. The goal was the only chance of the half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fook. Bohs down to ten men. Martin with a dirty tackle supposedly.

I'm listening to a radio station based in Derry for the commentary and the half time "entertainment" is Debbie Harry and The Village People. Sweet suffering christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Very scrappy Rovers game. Drogs have battled well, but Rovers really should have made their quality count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps' keith cowan taken away in an ambulance after coming off right before HT in Limerick. hope its nothing too serious
    shels 1 up
    and wexford 3 up against waterford!... i really expected the opposite

Bohs 1-0 down. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Wexford 4 up against Waterford now. Really didn't see that coming.

Dammit Cork. Cocking up my accumulator as it stands. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

We're doing everything we can to be back in some form next year. The ****e that has gone on recently has sickened me though.

We're still running the GUFC U19 team for the rest of this season and plan on entering the next U19 season too.

Keep the faith

Good result for Rovers against a surprisingly strong looking Drogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

What in the name of bejaysus happened in Wexford?

• Advertisement

been trying to work that one out myself. waterford had their captain sent off but they were already 3 down at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

FFS Shels giving away a last minute goal :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

New season, same old Shelbourne

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Cork were very poor against UCD. Don't think the college keeper had a save to make. Poor game but UCD deserved the win.
    Funniest moment was when one of the UCD drummers got kicked out for lighting a flare after the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

drogs did well considering they were missing so many players. There is a buzz about the place that hasnt been there since the doolin era. I think we might suprise a few people this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Unfortunate to lose the game to a lucky goal (yes it was over the line), then again Pats deserved to win, even without making many chances. Roll on next week. Hopefully the defence can get sorted, although it may improve with Webster gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

We've played better in pre-season and lost but it was against far better opposition than Waterford. Man, they were truly shocking and dirty little shaggers too. Ref was far too lenient.

Anyway, a great night to be a Youths fan with the faithful singing "We're not useless anymore" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

6 red cards tonight.

Refs on a mission from God or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Same old Shels :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Same old Shels :rolleyes:

Ah the auld reds.

No woman has ever even come close to how they repeatedly **** with my emotions and leave me a groveling shell of a man.

I love this league!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Felt it was going to be a tight opener at Drogheda, glad to get the three points and move on to Cliftonville and Roderick next Friday:cool:

236-01.gif

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dfx- wrote: »
    Felt it was going to be a tight opener at Drogheda, glad to get the three points and move on to Cliftonville and Roderick next Friday:cool:

236-01.gif

:cool:

Cork gone bust again? Only 11 teams there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Embarrassing night to be a Blues fan. Knew it'd be a long season for us, but jesus.. did not see that coming.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The second Sligo got that free kick at the end, loaded the Shels box with players everyone in the New Stand knew what was going to happen. Need to cut that crap out if we're to do half decent this season.

Paddy Kavanagh had a stormer for the most part, Conan Byrne had his moments of excellence, solid enough at the back need Shortall and Paiso imo to have it rock solid, our free kicks still work in the Premier and 1918 people in Tolka were the highlights of the night.

Couple of weeks more to up our fitness and we could do decent this season.

Just on a complete sidenote, a mate of mine (complete Man Utd barstooler) is in college with a Shels mate of mine and they were doing a documentary for college tonight of Shels. My barstool mate seems to have gained an interest in LoI after one match and being frozen solid from being in Tolka from 5.30. LoI is worse than heroin, it's addictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

BOHtox wrote: »
    What's happening with GUST? will they be back next year? God I hope so...

The FAI could easily use the same bull**** to exclude us next near.

Certain members of the FAI, the board of Galway United and a few geniuses in Salthill Devon are responsible for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Get in LTFC! :D Delighted going down there and winning for the first weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

My brother was over from Scotland for the weekend so i brought him to Tolka Park to experience the League of Ireland.

Leaving the game his opinion of the game that the only bigger joke than the referee was the joke of a pitch.

Had to agree with him about the pitch. I have followed a fair bit of junior soccer and recently Leinster league stuff, that field is the worst I have seen in a while.

If your club likes to play proper football, they will not prosper at Tolka.

My brother was over from Scotland for the weekend so i brought him to Tolka Park to experience the League of Ireland.

Leaving the game his opinion of the game that the only bigger joke than the referee was the joke of a pitch.

Had to agree with him about the pitch. I have followed a fair bit of junior soccer and recently Leinster league stuff, that field is the worst I have seen in a while.

The club know the pitch is fecked, the club stated this at the Fans' Forum, even the groundsman told me a few weeks back at a friendly but we don't have the money to relay the pitch (which is what it needs).

Pitch has seen little or no major work done in years on it and with the wear and tear of 1st Division football and the floods it hasn't done it any good.

Hopefully a successful season this year could mean a fixed pitch and gantry for next season.

Get in LTFC! :D Delighted going down there and winning for the first weekend!

Best of luck for the season, Longford are the side I'll be keeping an eye on (not due to my great bet I have one). Paul Hunt was fairly confident of your chances when I was chatting to him a few weeks back, seems Cousins has them training their arses off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Best of luck for the season, Longford are the side I'll be keeping an eye on (not due to my great bet I have one). Paul Hunt was fairly confident of your chances when I was chatting to him a few weeks back, seems Cousins has them training their arses off.

Good stuff! Hunt didn't start tonight though, Hyland who has been brilliant in pre-season started and got his first clean sheet. If we get the injured boys back we should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sick of a league that contains an asterix beside a club's name? If that was an Irish club, it would have Pat Fenlon as manager!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Glad to hear that coming from a neutral because its the general opinion of our fans.
    We never really played to our best but I still feel hard done by.

While I have no complaints about the red card the general decisions throughout the game were shocking. The ref seemed to totally favour the home team...

The pitch tonight in tolka was an absolute disgrace. As bad as I've ever seen. It had to have been done deliberately. There should be some kind of sanction for not even attempting to keep your pitch in decent nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The club know the pitch is fecked, the club stated this at the Fans' Forum, even the groundsman told me a few weeks back at a friendly but we don't have the money to relay the pitch (which is what it needs).

Pitch has seen little or no major work done in years on it and with the wear and tear of 1st Division football and the floods it hasn't done it any good.

Hopefully a successful season this year could mean a fixed pitch and gantry for next season.
    surely going over the pitch with a roller isnt classed as major works..

im not even going to bother wasting my time on the clown from the fai because he was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

im not even going to bother wasting my time on the clown from the fai because he was a joke.

:D

Like your player running into the Shels player and bouncing off him holding his face. Sad and :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Glad to hear that coming from a neutral because its the general opinion of our fans.
    We never really played to our best but I still feel hard done by.

While I have no complaints about the red card the general decisions throughout the game were shocking. The ref seemed to totally favour the home team...

The pitch tonight in tolka was an absolute disgrace. As bad as I've ever seen. It had to have been done deliberately. There should be some kind of sanction for not even attempting to keep your pitch in decent nick.

Nah the pitch is just in bits and has been for ages. Nothing deliberate about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dan1895 wrote: »
    Cork gone bust again? Only 11 teams there.

First night of the league and already Aertel is f*cking up. I am 100% convinced now that there is a running joke in RTE Aertel to make a mistake when it comes to this! There are way too many ridiculous mistakes for it to be accidental!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Have to say I was pleased with the way the team dominated the second half despite being a man down and the ref giving us nothing, although it was a red card for Quigley, very brave decision by the manager to push two people up front when you're a man down away from home, deserved equaliser I feel. It was an even enough first half, but Shels were very poor in the second half, don't recall Rogers having a save to make.

monkey9 wrote: »
    First night of the league and already Aertel is f*cking up. I am 100% convinced now that there is a running joke in RTE Aertel to make a mistake when it comes to this! There are way too many ridiculous mistakes for it to be accidental!
    i went looking for K/O times at about 3.00 yesterday and there was nothing in the tab for the first division... their live updates were a joke too, thank god for extratime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

monkey9 wrote: »

http://omg.wthax.org/dro_sha.png

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Random I know but did anyoen hear anything about the referee's wearing Adidas gear now. The kind the Fifa refs wear. Thought they were sponsored or something by Umbro like the FAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wasnt a great game in richmond, we played a lot of football but only had 3 or 4 shots.

Dean Kelly looks very good for us but lacks support. Bray were fairly poor and didnt really have many shots.

Sending offs were mad, Bray lad didnt deserve to be booked and afaik Jake Kelly kicked out at someone.

AgileMyth wrote: »

Ref had a brutal match, first half everything was going in Sligos favour, second half everything in our favour, woeful reffing.

Deliberately? :D The pitch has been in a jock for years as I've said, it needs to be relaid but there are no funds to do so.

It needs to be relaid, a roller will do feck all.
    edolan wrote: »
    Have to say I was pleased with the way the team dominated the second half despite being a man down and the ref giving us nothing, although it was a red card for Quigley, very brave decision by the manager to push two people up front when you're a man down away from home, deserved equaliser I feel. It was an even enough first half, but Shels were very poor in the second half, don't recall Rogers having a save to make.

Typical Shels, we get the lead and sit back, it's the way it's been for the last couple of years.

In other news Paddy Kavanagh tweeting he was spat at by several Sligo fans! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

In other news Paddy Kavanagh tweeting he was spat at by several Sligo fans! :rolleyes:

He needs to get off Twitter. It hasnt exactly helped him as of late.

As for pitches, Drogs was shocking too. Every ball seemed to bobble.

I was very impressed with Rovers tonight, closed everything down all night and the fitness was unreal. Twigg and GON seemed to click well. Billy D actually seems to be able to control the ball know and not just kick and run. Crazy to think that team is without the likes of Conor McCormac, Kavanagh etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He's already at phase 2 of The Paddy Kavanagh Cycle.

1. Play excellently in opening games

2. Tweet unreal amount of mundane shite until everybody at club hates you.

3. Slack off in training and on the pitch.

4. Get dropped.

5. See 2

stovelid wrote: »
    He's already at phase 2 of The Paddy Kavanagh Cycle.

1. Play excellently in opening games

2. Tweet unreal amount of mundane shite until everybody at club hates you.

3. Slack off in training and on the pitch.

4. Get dropped.

5. See 2
    I don't really see how he is at anything. If he got spat at then it is the fans in question that should be getting the grief. Done nothing wrong since joining Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dont think the ball crossed the line for our goal, lino gave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kavanaghs the #14 right?

Liveliest player on the pitch for Shels last night imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

overshoot wrote: »
    i went looking for K/O times at about 3.00 yesterday and there was nothing in the tab for the first division... their live updates were a joke too, thank god for extratime!
    God ya, where would we be without extratime! The LOI blog? hahahaha.

Soccerway are very good for Irish stats too, as they focus on just stats.

Someone over on our forum saying he heard last night that the TV gantry has been repaired / strenghtened by a cheaper & alternative method than had originally been quoted for and has now been passed for use by RTE OB live unit.

• Advertisement

Dear Sligo fans everywhere,
    I greatly apologise that we pay taxes on all our payments to our staff and therefore do not have the excess cash to devote to giving our pitch the care it needs.
    Yours Sincerely Embarassed,
    CSF.

Advertisement