Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Week 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What exactly is going on at Waterford does anyone know? Conceding 8 to Rovers in a friendly and then 6 in a competitive game to Wexford, surely something is going on there, I fancied them to do well this year based on their squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That pitch was well beyond a disgrace. Its simply inexcusable at this level. You wouldn't have a Gah match on it.

Every other club in the league can make funds available to keep their pitches. The majority of junior teams manage to maintain better surfaces than that.

Try to make us look like the bad guys all ye want though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

AgileMyth wrote: »
    That pitch was well beyond a disgrace. Its simply inexcusable at this level. You wouldn't have a Gah match on it.

Every other club in the league can make funds available to keep their pitches. The majority of junior teams manage to maintain better surfaces than that.

As I said, taxes are expensive. You'll have to take my word for it.

Only for Shels though? Every other club makes some attempt at maintenance. Obviously another case of Shels being better than the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Only for Shels though? Every other club makes some attempt at maintenance. Obviously another case of Shels being better than the rest of us.
    Wrong again Mr.Sligo, apparently UCD, another club who pay taxes at all times when paying players, also have problems with their pitch. Unless Cork fans are liars.

Again when clubs give actual tickets for games and don't steal from other clubs. There is less money remaining for ground maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

UCDs pitch was excellent last season, wasn't it up for some best pitch award with Cork and Tallaght

Dunno what Tolka is like, but it has been very bad in the past, I remember it becoming a sand pitch a few years ago. Can't be any harder to play on than Oriel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wasnt a great game in richmond, we played a lot of football but only had 3 or 4 shots.

Dean Kelly looks very good for us but lacks support. Bray were fairly poor and didnt really have many shots.

Sending offs were mad, Bray lad didnt deserve to be booked and afaik Jake Kelly kicked out at someone.

Some nice football was played, or tried to be played. Neither team had major efforts, bar 1/2 for your lads.
    Dont think the ball crossed the line for our goal, lino gave it.

Where were you standing? I was in with the Pats fans at the end where the goal was scored, I called it over the line before the linesman did. Didn't mind losing the match as such, but to a goal like that is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus it wasn't that bad. You're making it out to be a rugby mud bath affair.

It was bobbly and patchy in places alright but there are worse out there I reckon - I mean look at the pitch in the San Siro for the Milan - Arsenal QF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

There isn't the budget to maintain it to the standard required.

It'll be fine in the summer and it's not that bad anyway.

Leave it there and find something else to wum about.

CSF wrote: »
    Wrong again Mr.Sligo, apparently UCD, another club who pay taxes at all times when paying players, also have problems with their pitch. Unless Cork fans are liars.

Again when clubs give actual tickets for games and don't steal from other clubs. There is less money remaining for ground maintenance.
    Maybe ye could work on a proactive solution to the problem instead of doing the usual Shels thing of blaming everyone and anyone for your woes.

We've a sponsorship deal with SIS. Together with a team of volunteers putting a huge amount of time and effort in to keep the pitch in good nick.

**** you and your unfounded allegations.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Jesus it wasn't that bad. You're making it out to be a rugby mud bath affair.

It was bobbly and patchy in places alright but there are worse out there I reckon - I mean look at the pitch in the San Siro for the Milan - Arsenal QF.
    It was shocking. The ball took a bad bobble every single time it was passed along the ground.

born2bwild wrote: »
    There isn't the budget to maintain it to the standard required.

It'll be fine in the summer and it's not that bad anyway.

Leave it there and find something else to wum about.
    That might have cut it in the first division but its simply not good enough at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Meh. I'm actually delighted how the pitch is. We don't play football so fcuk that if we're gonna give any other team the opportunity to. And if it saves the club money along the way, then even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mushy wrote: »

Where were you standing? I was in with the Pats fans at the end where the goal was scored, I called it over the line before the linesman did. Didn't mind losing the match as such, but to a goal like that is annoying.

TV gantry so worst possible place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

TV gantry so worst possible place.

So that was you showing off the twinkys????

SantryRed wrote: »
    Meh. I'm actually delighted how the pitch is. We don't play football so fcuk that if we're gonna give any other team the opportunity to. And if it saves the club money along the way, then even better.

I can't wait for MNS. I'm expecting a rubbish tip, but i predict i'll be saying 'it's not that bad, ffs'

I really do like Sligo, but i've a funny feeling that the grumpiness in this thread will continue throughout the season!! :D Ian Barraclough :D Safe to assume Sligo won't be winning league titles anytime soon!

monkey9 wrote: »
    So that was you showing off the twinkys????

:pac:

lol the twinkies are famous now :D

:pac:

lol the twinkies are famous now :D

I genuinely have no idea what was going on. I just looked up (am assuming now it was yourself), and you were looking at someone in particular on the Camac showing off the twinkies and i was just thinking 'what the f*ck????', I realise i'm missing out on a joke here.

By the way, that commentary is class. I'm not gonna make the Dundalk match, but it's nice to know i'll still be involved in the banter!!

I genuinely have no idea what was going on. I just looked up (am assuming now it was yourself), and you were looking at someone in particular on the Camac showing off the twinkies and i was just thinking 'what the f*ck????', I realise i'm missing out on a joke here.

By the way, that commentary is class. I'm not gonna make the Dundalk match, but it's nice to know i'll still be involved in the banter!!

It was myself and i was being a **** to someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

CSF wrote: »
    Dear Sligo fans everywhere,
    I greatly apologise that we pay taxes on all our payments to our staff and therefore do not have the excess cash to devote to giving our pitch the care it needs.
    Yours Sincerely Embarassed,
    CSF.

I can't wait to hear from the FAI's report on our tax dodging along with paying wages under the table.

• Advertisement

That might have cut it in the first division but its simply not good enough at this level.

It's bad alright, but I think you are slightly exaggerating the problem with it, ours was probably worse 4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We've a sponsorship deal with SIS. Together with a team of volunteers putting a huge amount of time and effort in to keep the pitch in good nick.

We did have a deal with some pitch maintance/laying company 2 years ago, have a feeling it may be gone though.

edolan wrote: »
    It's bad alright, but I think you are slightly exaggerating the problem with it, ours was probably worse 4 years ago.
    Well aware that our pitch was once a disgrace. We addressed the problem though.

Great to grab a point there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The pitch at Tolka is shocking. Regardless of whether the club has the cash or not it is an absolute disgrace.

Conspiracy theorists can rest assured though that it is not delibrate. I highly doubt that a team with the likes of Casso and Kavanagh in it could benefit in any way from a surface like that.

As for the match itself, lots of huffing and puffing without much skill. The pitch? Probably. Stunning free kick from Philly, then in the second half we sat back far too deep. The equaliser was sadly inevitable.

Other things of note during the game was that Sligo really know how to put the boot in, and in injury time, one of their defenders indulged in one of the most shameless dives I've ever seen to try and get one of our players sent off. Really hope MNS show it.

Oh, and congrats to Wexford. What a win!!!!!

Why are Waterford so sh!t, btw??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sligo have tried to kick us off the pitch a few times under Cook, especially up in Sligo but people never really pick up on it and just see the football.

stovelid wrote: »
    Sligo have tried to kick us off the pitch a few times under Cook, especially up in Sligo but people never really pick up on it and just see the football.

The first game up in the Showgrounds last year Oman was an absolute disgrace very lucky not to be sent off, when he nearly decapitated Keane, O'Neill knew it too and I believe he took him off at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Was that Keane, the Olympic Diver :)

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The pitch at Tolka is shocking. Regardless of whether the club has the cash or not it is an absolute disgrace.

Conspiracy theorists can rest assured though that it is not delibrate. I highly doubt that a team with the likes of Casso and Kavanagh in it could benefit in any way from a surface like that.

As for the match itself, lots of huffing and puffing without much skill. The pitch? Probably. Stunning free kick from Philly, then in the second half we sat back far too deep. The equaliser was sadly inevitable.

Other things of note during the game was that Sligo really know how to put the boot in, and in injury time, one of their defenders indulged in one of the most shameless dives I've ever seen to try and get one of our players sent off. Really hope MNS show it.

Oh, and congrats to Wexford. What a win!!!!!

There were a lot of frees given to shels that were fair challenges, the most opbvious one being when Ventre won the ball with a great tackle, but he gets booked and Hughes scores the free-kick. I aslo thought the ref was very quick to get the cards out. I'm trying to remember the dive you're on about, did he win the free which eventually led to the equaliser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dub XV wrote: »
    Was that Keane, the Olympic Diver :)

I think so.
    There were a lot of frees given to shels that were fair challenges, the most opbvious one being when Ventre won the ball with a great tackle, but he gets booked and Hughes scores the free-kick. I aslo thought the ref was very quick to get the cards out. I'm trying to remember the dive you're on about, did he win the free which eventually led to the equaliser?

The dive was very late in the game. There was a free inside your half and your defender (think it was Keane) walked about ten yards towards one of our players (Hughes or Kavanagh) move his head towards our player and then collapsed on the ground.

Thankfully the ref saw exactly what happened and booked him straight away for his attempted cheating.

If MNS don't show it, I'd say ShelsTV will.

He didn't book Hughes for his dive in our box in the second half though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Why are Waterford so sh!t, btw??

Poor manager. Poor squad. The defence is truly awful.

We had a shocking pre season. Lost 3-0 to Cork, 5-0 to Bray, not to mention the 8-1 in Tallaght.

Saying that, Wexford are probably the worst team in the LOI and we would've expected to beat them. I don't know what happened. Embarrassing stuff.

Nice easy game against Limerick next Friday though. It's gonna be a long season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

blue-army wrote: »

We had a shocking pre season. Lost 3-0 to Cork, 5-0 to Bray, not to mention the 8-1 in Tallaght.

Saying that, Wexford are probably the worst team in the LOI and we would've expected to beat them. I don't know what happened. Embarrassing stuff.

Nice easy game against Limerick next Friday though. It's gonna be a long season!
    still given your squad you should be top three, wexford was a disaster! as harps showed at the weekend though, get behind your team and put it up to limerick and your in with a chance. we had a very loud bus load to limerick and the players are saying the difference it made. man to man they may be better but get stuck in and you will find they are still human! (although if im overestimating waterford it may not be too bad (for us) either;))

He didn't book Hughes for his dive in our box in the second half though.

Lame comeback there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The dive was very late in the game. There was a free inside your half and your defender (think it was Keane) walked about ten yards towards one of our players (Hughes or Kavanagh) move his head towards our player and then collapsed on the ground.

Thankfully the ref saw exactly what happened and booked him straight away for his attempted cheating.

Was it not Cronin?

Your 5 year plan won't be coming to fruit no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Saying that, Wexford are probably the worst team in the LOI and we would've expected to beat them. I don't know what happened. Embarrassing stuff./QUOTE]
    I know the season has just started, but until you get a result, any result, perhaps you should show a bit more respect. 1-0 can be a fluke, 2-0 can be lucky, 3-0 these things happen but 4, 5, and eventually 6.....................

Shamrock Rovers beat us 2-0 pre-season in Tallaght. Six days later what was the score when you went there, was it another 6, surely not, perhaps 7, no it was 8

Poor manager.

I know the season has just started, but until you get a result, any result, perhaps you should show a bit more respect. 1-0 can be a fluke, 2-0 can be lucky, 3-0 these things happen but 4, 5, and eventually 6.....................

Shamrock Rovers only beat us 2-0 pre-season in Tallaght. Six days later they stuffed you for 8.

oldyouth wrote: »

Shamrock Rovers only beat us 2-0 pre-season in Tallaght. Six days later they stuffed you for 8.

I know yeah. What I meant was before Friday night, Wexford were bookies favourites to come last - 150/1 to win the First Division.

We took your player of the season 2010 in Pakie Holden, and supposedly two of your better players Ben Ryan and Darragh Walshe so you can surely understand why I thought we'd beat you.

The facts are, we're shockingly bad.

overshoot wrote: »
    still given your squad you should be top three, wexford was a disaster! as harps showed at the weekend though, get behind your team and put it up to limerick and your in with a chance. we had a very loud bus load to limerick and the players are saying the difference it made. man to man they may be better but get stuck in and you will find they are still human! (although if im overestimating waterford it may not be too bad (for us) either;))

Yeah, on paper the likes of John Frost, Peter White, Willie John Kiely, Sean Maguire and Gary Dempsey would walk into most First Division sides. The reality is though they don't perform. The other players simply aren't good enough.
    There's junior league sides in Waterford that'd beat us. I've been supporting the club for 12 years and this is probably the worst side we've had in that time.
    I'd love to write off the preseason and the Wexford game and say "ah it's early days. We'll come good," but from what I've seen so far there's been absolutely no encouraging signs.
    Gary Dempsey should really be p*ssing all over this division but it seems he's not happy with the manager and has been giving out about the club on Twitter since joining. It's just turmoil.

The only thing I remember from the end of the game was the equaliser, but I'll take your word for it.

• Advertisement

The only thing I remember from the end of the game was the equaliser, but I'll take your word for it.

Good reply there now :)

I know yeah. What I meant was before Friday night, Wexford were bookies favourites to come last - 150/1 to win the First Division.

Fair enough, but as it stands today, Waterford are the bottom team in the Airtricity 1st Division and, by definition, the worst team in the LOI.

Our target is to finish 4th/5th this season and play attractive football along the way. Of course we will have setbacks during the season but I can see Waterford having the same kind of year as we did in 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

dfx- wrote: »
    Can't be any harder to play on than Oriel

Maybe now that you have a footballing manager you might keep the ball on the ground and find it a bit easier. Sligo, UCD, Fingal, Derry etc never had any problems playing on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

doncarlos wrote: »
    Maybe now that you have a footballing manager you might keep the ball on the ground and find it a bit easier. Sligo, UCD, Fingal, Derry etc never had any problems playing on it

Has it been serviced? Pitch was a disgrace at the end of last season.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Has it been serviced? Pitch was a disgrace at the end of last season.

Disgrace how? It is still under UEFA licence. It has passed tests a lot of pitches in the country would fail.
    Lets be honest we'd all like to play on good grass pitches but an artificial pitch is better than a bad grass pitch. Monaghan's was shocking the other night. Hard to pass the ball a few feet without it bobbling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

doncarlos wrote: »
    Sligo, UCD, Fingal, Derry etc never had any problems playing on it

None of them won the last two league titles either, in fairness.

Drogheda pitch was shocking on Friday also I though. Not just the narrowness of it but it was in quite bad condition.

None of them won the last two league titles either, in fairness.

And none will this year either. I think that Kenny is a far superior manager to O'Neill and will let the players of the leash. Rovers will run away with the league this year, even more so that Cook is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Drogheda pitch was shocking on Friday also I though. Not just the narrowness of it but it was in quite bad condition.

Yeah, there was a lot of comments on the state of the pitch on the terrace friday night. Its usually much better than that. And it probably didn't help what was a fairly poor game.

A lot of talk about the condition of pitces at the start of the season and I have to say that Ferrycarrig Park has been better than it is now. It is a combination of the U19s and Wexford Youths Wimmins using it constantly throughout the winter when it should have been recovering. It will come good eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

even when hes gone clubs still cant spell cook right. twice in a row in the shells programme

• Advertisement
Advertisement