Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tullyvale

• 28-02-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm moving to Tullyvale soon and I'm wondering about the broadband availability. I'm currently with UPC and I'm very impressed with the speed and reliability. Although maybe a bit expensive.

I've contacted UPC and they don't service the Tullyvale area.

I've also lookied into some other providers but things aren't looking good.

Can anyone recommend a broadband provider in the area? Or have any other info?

Many thanks in advance.

F. Field

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hiya,

indeed there isn't much choice there. The only company that serviced the area when we moved in about a year ago was Vodafone.
    Speed is just ok, lags a lot, it's expensive, etc... Not a happy customer to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Thanks for the reply.

I checked with Vodafone. They do a €40 pack. (40gb download limit, 8mb speed). That doesn't seem too expensive to me. I was paying way more with UPC.

When do you notice lag? Do you game online (xbox or PC)? Youtube vids? Or just in general it is slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

how were you paying more with UPC???

its only 35.87 for 25mb broadband with no download and 40 if you wanted a phone aswell.

vodafone suck compared to UPC.

a true 25mb connection againest a max 8mb connection.

I was getting a pack that included their cheapest tv package too. I never watched the tv so I'm just getting broadband this time around.

Magnet are the only company I can find that give the 24mb speed, and unlimited downloads in TUllyvale. But to use their service on Eircom lines is €56 a month (with a €50 set up fee).

Still cheaper than what I was paying UPC. Won't be footing the bill alone so I reckon it might be worth a shot. Heard some horror stories but then there is no contract with Magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Which block in Tullyvale are you in? I believe East Courtyard are able to get UPC.
    I'm using Digiweb Metro (8MBps, 60GB rolling 30 day download limit). It's about the only one I could find at the time that didn't require a phoneline. I think it's €40 a month, and it's not too bad. They do need to put up a box on the balcony though.

• Advertisement

Ok, I order Magnet around the 1st March. Router arrived within ten days, but to date we have no broadband. Now, they haven't charged us anything yet, but we have rang them many times. They have promised to ring back but apart from one email they have never contacted us.
    I am pretty much sick of it now.

So...how is that digiweb working out? Would you recommend?

Digiweb is ok, had it over a year now. I think I'm getting between 4 and 8 MBps on their 8MB package. Speeds aren't amazing, but they're reliable and their customer service is good. Not having a phone line was a big plus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tk1234

Hi

When you say between 4-8mb, What is the best speed you get, I am in west courtyard and with Eircom, currently i get 3.5mb, I want to go with digiweb metro 30mb?

tk1234 wrote: »
    Hi

When you say between 4-8mb, What is the best speed you get, I am in west courtyard and with Eircom, currently i get 3.5mb, I want to go with digiweb metro 30mb?

I would say the best I get is probably around 7.8. I'm on the 8 MB package though so can't vouch for the 30MB one. I'm pretty sure that you're going to get a better speed than your Eircom line with Digiweb, especially if you get the 30MB package. Just note that the receiver is on Three Rock mountain, so your balcony needs to have a line of sight to that.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 greenhouse1234

Funkfield wrote: »
    Ok, I order Magnet around the 1st March. Router arrived within ten days, but to date we have no broadband. Now, they haven't charged us anything yet, but we have rang them many times. They have promised to ring back but apart from one email they have never contacted us.
    I am pretty much sick of it now.

So...how is that digiweb working out? Would you recommend?

Hi there,
    Also moving there soon,
    was wondering whats best, Eircom BB is way too overpriced, I dnt need landline can get UPC too even UPC increased their prices recently....
    Are you still waiting for Magnet BB. or digiweb worked out ok for you?
    Hows speed?
    Thanks in advance.

Have digiweb 8mb, Currently the 30mb is not available, I was told it should be available before end of this year. Below is the stats i got when i ran the test in april.

1916401273.png

• Registered Users Posts: 41 greenhouse1234

@tk: Many thanks for prompt reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 STICKS

Hi all, I just moved into west courtyard, tried to get digiweb but could not get line of sight to the receiver on three rock so that's out for me. Now as far as I can see I have to choose between Vodafone or eircom through the phone line. Do any of you have these? Any use? Says up to 8mb for download for both but can the phone line there handle it? does it actually come anywhere close to 8mb?
    Heard nightmare stories about both eircom and Vodafone but Vodafone seem to do the better package so thinking of going with them? so annoying that UPC cover east courtyard but not west. Last thing I thought to ask when moving in, assumed UPC where all over Dublin at this stage

I had eircom before Digiweb, I used to get around 3.8MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Leeroy!

STICKS wrote: »
    Hi all, I just moved into west courtyard, tried to get digiweb but could not get line of sight to the receiver on three rock so that's out for me. Now as far as I can see I have to choose between Vodafone or eircom through the phone line. Do any of you have these? Any use? Says up to 8mb for download for both but can the phone line there handle it? does it actually come anywhere close to 8mb?
    Heard nightmare stories about both eircom and Vodafone but Vodafone seem to do the better package so thinking of going with them? so annoying that UPC cover east courtyard but not west. Last thing I thought to ask when moving in, assumed UPC where all over Dublin at this stage

hi,
    don't know if you've signed any contracts yet but I'm living in east courtyard and I'm with Vodafone now for 2.5 years. just so you know there is no difference between Vodafones service and Eircom as Vodafone mearly resell the eircom lines. In fact they even use a system that links into eircoms when you call technical support, which I've had to do a lot since before Xmas 2011.
    Basically our line is capable of a max of 5Mb so the "up to 8Mb" is what we had to purchase. NOTE* make sure to ask vodafone what your line is capable of. they can run a test to let you know.
    As far as service goes we had roughly 4 to 6Mb download and 512Kbps upload for about 2 years. Then magically another vodafone router popped up on our wireless radar and our line dropped to 1.9Mb MAX!!!!!:mad:
    I used to work for a broadband company back in 2006 so i know how to investigate various aspects of the setup and nothing was wrong on our side. Even had an technician out to check the phone lines - nothing wrong!
    So after days of arguing with them on the phone, insisting that nothings wrong and nothings changed they logged a fault with eircom and said that eircom will investigate. Vodafone customer service is very good BTW I'm not knocking their customer/tchnical service at all - i mean you call them and they answer!
    Anyway they kept insisting that i try another router so just to tick their boxes i bought one and tried it and they ran their test ... same result!:confused:

anyway after some calculations based on figures from our router I worked out that we must have been transferred onto another exchange as our attenuation figure was in the 50's meaning we were roughly 4km away from the exchange. also our noise margin was coming in at 6 - now this is probably getting a bit long winded but basically it took ME to figure all this out Vodafone didn't - all they could say was there must be a problem with your internal wiring. Anyway when i presented them with the figures and suggested this possibility they agreed but could not confirm.

The fact of it is we had perfect broadband for 2 years and all of a sudden when a new customer comes along all the figures drop and our quality drops...

The moral of the story is Choose vodafone over Eircom if you want to be able to get through to someone instantly when you have a problem, also make sure before you sign a 12 month contract to ask about their cooling off period, and when you get your router do a speed check and a consistency check as even though were getting 3Mb now it drops at least once every 30 mins which is killer when you like to watch something like channel 4 on demand on the iPad - its virtually impossible.

hope this rant helps - as its helped me alot ha!:cool:

I thought East Courtyard could get UPC?

fjon wrote: »
    I thought East Courtyard could get UPC?

only blocks A, B, C as far as i know. The developer allowed the lines be installed when built but after those blocks he gave the contract to cable watch who offer the worst service yo could imagine - actually give them a call just for kicks and see what their offering. Cant believe a company like that is still going in todays market.
    I just wish we could start some petition and get all residents in non UPC blocks t sign it and maybe that would Kick start UPC to lay the cables and get it sorted. they would probably take hundreds of customers from Tullyvale.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brenosullivan

I'll gladly sign ANY petition to get UPC in. I've been stuck with Eircom in the Oval for the past 5 years, and they're a complete disaster. The service is useless. Had around 4 engineers call to the apartment to change splitters etc. but all just a waste of my time.
    Tonight is the best yet.. I'm getting download speeds of .8MB! So depressing. Eircom really really REALLY do suck. I'd give my left arm to be able to move away from them. My girlfriend lives in the Ramparts and they have a blistering 30MB connection.
    To make matters worse, UPC just did a flyer drop into our apartments recently announcing their fabulous service. Of course when I rang they said that drop was made in error and they have no plans to roll the service out here.

I just feel like I'm living in the 90's here. I reckon another year or two and I'll be using dial up again.

Don't suppose there's any point in emailing the management company?
    <snip> Can't see that happening though.

• Advertisement

Not a bad idea actually. I'll send them off an email and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I had eircom and it kept failing so they had to decrease the speed more and more so I was as bad as dial-up (East Courtyard) then I went to Vodafone, that literally never even started. Waste of money. Now I have to use one of those Broadband to go sticks. Meteor. It works better than Eircom and Vodafone, but nothing to write home about :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I had eircom and it kept failing so they had to decrease the speed more and more so I was as bad as dial-up (East Courtyard) then I went to Vodafone, that literally never even started. Waste of money. Now I have to use one of those Broadband to go sticks. Meteor. It works better than Eircom and Vodafone, but nothing to write home about :(
    Switching to eircom was never going to fix the problem as they both are using the same line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

ted1 wrote: »
    Switching to eircom was never going to fix the problem as they both are using the same line.

Yeah, I'm not that great with these things :o Well for the past 2 years I am on Broadband to Go and it is better than anything else I was getting. Limits are crap though, but decent enough reception.

Spoke with a "technician" from cablewatch, they said that they are due to upgrade the lines to fibre optic within the next 3 months.
    Sounds promising except they told me the same thing in January :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Noiz

Wish I saw this thread before I decided to move into The Oval. I understand it seems that using DSL phone line is slow enough compare to 100Mb I used to have with UPC but how do people find using for Skype video call or playing on Xbox Live? What option do I really have other than DSL?

I guess I just have to stop downloading massive files for a while :D:pac::(

So good news,

Ive spotted the Eircom technicians working on the cabinets at the top of the estate beside the luas stop and asked them if they were working on eFibre. In fact eFibre has been laid before Xmas and they are now in the process of actually wiring the copper in our lines that run to the apartments to the fibre in the cabinet.
    Meaning there will be eFibre available in Tullyvale within the next month. The technician said the more of us that get onto eircom about it the faster they will actually "flip the switch" and make it available to us. For now everything is ready to go they just have to make that call.

Happy hunting :cool:

Awesome. About friggin time. I've been onto eircom every other month over this. I'll put in another call today.

Awesome. About friggin time. I've been onto eircom every other month over this. I'll put in another call today.

supposedly now we need to wait until this cabinet come up in turn on the "rollout" list. could be a week could be months, nobody can say yet. But we should be happy its coming :D i know i am ive waited a loooooong time out of contract with vodafone for something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I'm moving into The Oval at the moment.... good to see something being provided. I might just go for that E-fibre.
    With the e-fibre will I be able to get Eircom's e-vision and is it any good?

Advertisement