Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tullyvale

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Leeroy!

I'm moving into The Oval at the moment.... good to see something being provided. I might just go for that E-fibre.
    With the e-fibre will I be able to get Eircom's e-vision and is it any good?

im nto 100% but the new efibre service is just connected to our existing wires coming into the house so Im not sure if that would mean you can get TV, unless the tv connection comes down the same wire. But eFibre is not actually fibre optic broadband like UPC. UPC comes directly into your home, eFibre is just fibre optic up the the nearest cabinet to your home and then it comes down the old/existing copper wire.

I'd be interested to know the answer though if you find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Leeroy! wrote: »
    im nto 100% but the new efibre service is just connected to our existing wires coming into the house so Im not sure if that would mean you can get TV, unless the tv connection comes down the same wire. But eFibre is not actually fibre optic broadband like UPC. UPC comes directly into your home, eFibre is just fibre optic up the the nearest cabinet to your home and then it comes down the old/existing copper wire.

I'd be interested to know the answer though if you find out.

Asfaik UPC don't use fibre. EFibre is just a marketing term for eircoms fibre. They use what is called FTTC which is fibre to the cabinet, this means that you can get good speeds but not great speeds as your still using a twisted pair for 200meters or so.
    FTTH is fibre to the home which will give great speeds. eVision is iptv which means it comes over your broadband connection. So if your area has being upgraded to FTTC you should be able to get evision

ted1 wrote: »
    Asfaik UPC don't use fibre. EFibre is just a marketing term for eircoms fibre. They use what is called FTTC which is fibre to the cabinet, this means that you can get good speeds but not great speeds as your still using a twisted pair for 200meters or so.
    FTTH is fibre to the home which will give great speeds. eVision is iptv which means it comes over your broadband connection. So if your area has being upgraded to FTTC you should be able to get evision

brilliant. hopefully we can get some nice bundle with broadband and tv so. this is turning into great news ... of course connection speed depending. but i know for a fact that the cabinet is within 100 yards of my apartment block so hopefully it will mean decent speeds.

remembering of course that im currently on 2.5mbps so anything over the 10 mark would be great, and if it hits close to the "up to" mark of 70 of course thats a bonus :D

cheers for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah just to confirm that UPC is using cable modems here in Dundrum (and everywhere I know of) - the TV and cable modem share the same copper co-ax. I'm sure they have a fibre link somewhere in the basement being switched out to the various cables in the block.
    Anyone called Eircom for E-fibre in tullyvale yet?

I've now setup broadband and phone with Eircom, and E-Fibre will follow "very soon" so we'll see what that means.
    What do you guys do for TV? Could I get a 3 month connection from the local crew - what's their name / number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 brenosullivan

Hi there,
    FYI I've been onto Eircom, and despite the fact that Tullyvale is being reported as having eFibre on their eFibre map (http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/) they tell me that this just means the exchange is done, but certain area's haven't been enabled yet. They can't tell me when we'll be updated. Could be next week or it could be next year. Well done Eircom. Fantastic service as usual. We'll just have to continue with our 3MB download and 256Kb upload speeds indefinitely I'm afraid. Such a joke... it really is.

OH and just one more thing... the whole UPC option is very odd. UPC say they're not up here which is fine, but the strange thing is.... I work from home in Tullyvale, and every single day for months and months now there's two UPC vans parked out on the road here. Every day they drive up and just park here and the guys sit in the vans and stay there for hours. It's really odd. I'll ask them today what the story is.

fjon wrote: »
    Don't suppose there's any point in emailing the management company?
    The last I heard is that the company Cablewatch was going to be bought by UPC "any day now". Can't see that happening though.
    I asked the guy from cablewatch and he said they will be doing digital TV from April - dunno <snip>, but it's strange to see UPC vans every day like Bren says without something been done.

According to the UPC rep on boards, there are no plans to cable up The Oval. East courtyard is good to go I think.

Great.. typical. The oval must be possessed by Satan or something.

• Advertisement

Great.. typical. The oval must be possessed by Satan or something.
    I wish someone had told me this before I bought here. Damn estate agents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I wish someone had told me this before I bought here. Damn estate agents!

Estate agents are Satanists, did you not know that? That's why they are trying to whip up a 2007 style house buying frenzy, so they can feed off the misery when it goes wrong.

Either that, or they are just complete and utter bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just moved into tullyvale, and have ordered Smart/Digiweb. Had a smart connection years ago and loved it. Service was excellent. Hope digiweb hasn't ruined that.

I'm thinking we need a tullyvale general thread for all the questions about the complex.

Not to derail the thread, anyone know what the story is with the swimming pool? Does it still exist? Whats the big secret? I've only seen mention of it in ads. Feel free to PM me if you prefer, again, so as to not derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 g0nzo

Just moved into the Oval and signed up with Magnet. I get about 2.9mb which is definitely not enough for me. I'm glad I can switch anytime, when something faster becomes available.

What would you guys suggest?

- Wait and hope for UPC or Eircom eFibre?
    - Get Metro Broadband now (I guess it should be available, as the balcony is facing the Luas tracks)?

Anyone with experience how fast their 30mb offer is in reality?

g0nzo wrote: »
    Just moved into the Oval and signed up with Magnet. I get about 2.9mb which is definitely not enough for me. I'm glad I can switch anytime, when something faster becomes available.

What would you guys suggest?

- Wait and hope for UPC or Eircom eFibre?
    - Get Metro Broadband now (I guess it should be available, as the balcony is facing the Luas tracks)?

Anyone with experience how fast their 30mb offer is in reality?

2.9mb would not be enough for me either. I go home where they are on about 2 Mbps and my blood pressure seems to increase, because Im left waiting for it to do things.

I just signed up for Smart / Digiweb, 24Mbps, 350Gig cap and voip phone for 40 euro a month. Its not been installed yet but I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 g0nzo

syklops wrote: »
    I just signed up for Smart / Digiweb, 24Mbps, 350Gig cap and voip phone for 40 euro a month. Its not been installed yet but I'll let you know how I get on.

Any update yet? Can you recommend Digiweb?

g0nzo wrote: »
    Any update yet? Can you recommend Digiweb?

Got it installed a week ago. I'm only getting about 4Mb not the 24 as advertised. I need to ring them and find out what the issue is.

I'll come back an update when it gets fixed or I get an update.

I'm a bit like the TV License inspector. I used to work in Broadband Tech Support and I've heard all the excuses. I've made up a few of them myself as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Got it installed a week ago. I'm only getting about 4Mb not the 24 as advertised. I need to ring them and find out what the issue is.

I'll come back an update when it gets fixed or I get an update.

I'm a bit like the TV License inspector. I used to work in Broadband Tech Support and I've heard all the excuses. I've made up a few of them myself as well.

Aren't you limited by the Eircom phone lines? If all Eircom can offer is 4MB that's all you'll be able to get I think. Only other options would be broadband that doesn't use phone lines, e.g. Digiweb Metro. Note the 3 Rock Metro transmitter can only offer up to 10MBPs, not 30

Aren't you limited by the Eircom phone lines? If all Eircom can offer is 4MB that's all you'll be able to get I think. Only other options would be broadband that doesn't use phone lines, e.g. Digiweb Metro. Note the 3 Rock Metro transmitter can only offer up to 10MBPs, not 30

Well Im certainly not going to be paying for 24 if all they can offer is 4.

Well Im certainly not going to be paying for 24 if all they can offer is 4.
    Hello! This is exactly the situation I'm in with Eircom, can be up to 24 but because I am only 300 metres from the nearest Eircom box I am only entitled to pay for up to 24, not actually receive it. Yeah there must be something awfully dogged in the infrastructure in tullyvale, I mean on the building side, as obviously if the exchange is rated for it. Should we take this up with the management company? This level of performance is below what yer man O'Brien was campaigning for Africa as a fundamental right. Well it's close to it anyway :-)

• Advertisement

Hello! This is exactly the situation I'm in with Eircom, can be up to 24 but because I am only 300 metres from the nearest Eircom box I am only entitled to pay for up to 24, not actually receive it. Yeah there must be something awfully dogged in the infrastructure in tullyvale, I mean on the building side, as obviously if the exchange is rated for it. Should we take this up with the management company? This level of performance is below what yer man O'Brien was campaigning for Africa as a fundamental right. Well it's close to it anyway :-)

I wouldn't imagine the management company will be helpful, its nothing really to do with them, aside from providing access.

I wouldn't imagine the management company will be helpful, its nothing really to do with them, aside from providing access.
    Is the cabinet labelled Eircom connections belonging to the property or to Eircom? Not sure how that works hence suggestion re management company.

Cheers

Is the cabinet labelled Eircom connections belonging to the property or to Eircom? Not sure how that works hence suggestion re management company.

Cheers

AFAIK the cabinet belongs to the property but EIrcom have access, e.g. the key. This is not a problem with Eircom getting access to the cabinet, its something network or configuration related.

Speaking in an off the record fashion with someone from UPC I was told UPC will never been in "The Oval" as someone else owns the cabling infrastructure. Anyone familiar with the ownership/rights with regard to building infra, contractors, building management company etc and who represents consumers and residents?

Think it's these guys who own the cabling. Tried calling them once, they never rang back.
    Haven't heard anything good about them really.

Think it's these guys who own the cabling. Tried calling them once, they never rang back.
    Interesting. But how come we can't select our own service to use that cable, or build parallel cabling if they won't give us UPC.
    That's getting a bit mental. Surprised it hasn't come up with the management crew before, or some sort of definitive answer / solution has been devised.
    It's awful service at the moment. Even when Sky digital comes I don't want to use them - I just don't want to do business with them for personal reasons.

I've only been around here for a few years, so don't know enough, but the rumour I heard is that this company paid Neville's money during the construction to get exclusive rights to the complex, and in this agreement there was a guarantee that UPC couldn't enter.
    I believe they have a similar agreement in Ashtown somewhere.
    This is only a rumour I heard, no idea how much to believe it though, but would explain why UPC can't enter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jesus, the only thing these guys are missing are the stetsons. From their website they say
    • "No misleading information"
    • "Broadband up to 10 times faster at even better rates"
    eh, faster than what, better than what?

Hey guys,
    So here's an update from the inside, please don't quote me I this, this is just to put you all at ease.
    Eircom efibre has been installed and wired into Tullyvale.essentially moving the nearest exchange from shankill to just inside the door of tullyvales across from the entrance of the luas stop. Now the only problem is that it hasn't been wired out from the exchange and from what I've heard from someone who knows someone if u catch my drift is that they are not planning on doing this in the immediate future. This was nice of this guy to discolse this to me but he couldn't say for what exact reason they have not done it yet. That was 2 months ago.
    And about the ducting rights being sold that is correct. Block A,B,C have upc but anything after cannot until upc but out that other shower.
    Also just to recap the reason we are so bad up here is because we are tipping on 4km's worth of cable away from the exchange (shankill)

Also just to note if you are promised "up to 24" that means they can give you 24 or 2 and be within their rights :/

My advice would be grab a 4Gdongle, were sitting in the middle of a "highest service" area for 3G and 4G of course depending on what floor your on but you really can get around 10-15Mb with a 3G I'm speaking from experience wth an O2 dongle. Comes with a 15GB limit but helps out when the landline just won't cut it.

Hope this info help ease some troubled minds

• Advertisement

Oh I'll just say I thing. If everyone starts to call up eircom requesting the efibre this may actually help speed things up.
    I've been literally wrecking their heads for months hoping that someone in there will see the amount of calls from Tullyvale and pass on he message to start the line out from the exchange.
    I think it bulk we are better off calling and adding more pressure.

Just a thought

Advertisement