Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tullyvale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 uniball

I have been in contact with Eircom today and they have informed me that eFibre will be available in Tullyvale from the 29th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

uniball wrote: »
    I have been in contact with Eircom today and they have informed me that eFibre will be available in Tullyvale from the 29th October.

This better not be a cruel joke :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Leeroy!

uniball wrote: »

Crap you beat me to it! I just wanted to let everyone know that efibre is coming to us on the 29th this month. If you pre order or order on the 29th they say it is up to 10 days until an engineer comes out.

They do TV, mobile and landline also. Tv choice is not amazing but 50 channels better than what we've got :D

One bit of advice I'll say though is perhaps go with Vodafone if its just broadband your after as they do the exact same service "broadband only" for only 35 a month :D

happy days, congratulations to all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 g0nzo

wow... did it finally really happen?

Can they estimate yet which connection speeds we can get?

So if I have eircom already, my speeds should just jump on the 29th right! ?

• Advertisement

g0nzo wrote: »
    wow... did it finally really happen?

Can they estimate yet which connection speeds we can get?

right now all the system says is that is is available on the 29th and that my landline is capable of the full connection 70Mbps with Eircom.

When I checked with Vodafone (providing the exact same service) their site said my line is capable of 100Mbps.

Either way I don't really care I'm just delighted that I will for sure get a minimum of 20meg which is 10 times better than im currently getting. Anything after that is just a bonus to me :D

5 years I'm waiting for this and theres a part of me that feels that knowing the history of Tullyvale there will be something that will come up to get in the way. only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im with Digiweb, should I be able to get this as well?

Wait a minute, does this mean we can get UPC?

Leeroy! wrote: »
    right now all the system says is that is is available on the 29th and that my landline is capable of the full connection 70Mbps with Eircom.

When I checked with Vodafone (providing the exact same service) their site said my line is capable of 100Mbps.

Either way I don't really care I'm just delighted that I will for sure get a minimum of 20meg which is 10 times better than im currently getting. Anything after that is just a bonus to me :D

5 years I'm waiting for this and theres a part of me that feels that knowing the history of Tullyvale there will be something that will come up to get in the way. only time will tell.

I need to buy you a pint some night and hear the history of Tullyvale.

syklops wrote: »
    Im with Digiweb, should I be able to get this as well?

Wait a minute, does this mean we can get UPC?

UPC is different. Eircom have put in their own cable to service this and its all done through their existing ducts. For UPC to come in they could have to wire new cable through the ducts that the other shower own and wont let anybody at.

BUT

As long as you have a landline you can get the eFibre from Eircom or Vodafone. One thing I might warn people of is that is your are in West courtyard or the Oval it may or may not be available at the same time. I'm hoping for everyone it might but the lady I spoke with on the phone did ask me if I was East Courtyard which I am, so It might be worth calling to check or using this tool to check your number https://www.eircom.net/broadband/ (click learn more or buy and there will be a link for line checker on the next page)

I remember from talking with the technicians that they have put a cabinet in at the entrance to East courtyard and another one by the entrance to West so hopefully both will go live at the same time

:D

UPC is different. Eircom have put in their own cable to service this and its all done through their existing ducts. For UPC to come in they could have to wire new cable through the ducts that the other shower own and wont let anybody at.

BUT

As long as you have a landline you can get the eFibre from Eircom or Vodafone. One thing I might warn people of is that is your are in West courtyard or the Oval it may or may not be available at the same time. I'm hoping for everyone it might but the lady I spoke with on the phone did ask me if I was East Courtyard which I am, so It might be worth calling to check or using this tool to check your number https://www.eircom.net/broadband/ (click learn more or buy and there will be a link for line checker on the next page)

I remember from talking with the technicians that they have put a cabinet in at the entrance to East courtyard and another one by the entrance to West so hopefully both will go live at the same time

:D

I'm in The Oval, next to my lift is a panel that says "Eircom connections", so Im hoping Eircom have access. If Eircom have access then Vodafone do as well, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 g0nzo

I live in the Oval too and I just had a chat with the Eircom support. The lady told me that:

' I have checked your number and as yet there is no date as to when you will be enabled , however you will be contacted directly once you are enabled.'

Also the tool on the website still says only up to 4Mb... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I rang Vodafone and got a similar answer. I'm in West Courtyard. Would be great if it went live on the 29th.
    They did say that if/ when it does go live my line will be upgraded and I won't have to pay more, but I will be on a new 18 month contract.

fjon wrote: »
    I rang Vodafone and got a similar answer. I'm in West Courtyard. Would be great if it went live on the 29th.
    They did say that if/ when it does go live my line will be upgraded and I won't have to pay more, but I will be on a new 18 month contract.

Ok. Please report back in 2 weeks time.

okay so just to state that this is only an assumption...

I do recall chatting with the engineers who were installing and wiring up the cabinet at the entrance to the East Courtyard and they mentioned that there is another separate cabinet in the West Courtyard. SO to make an assumption based on how Eircom seem to be releasing and commissioning their cabinets I would say they will release the cabinet in East Courtyard on the 29th, test it for a period and then decide to release the cabinet in the West Courtyard.
    This synopsis is backed up y the fact that people are stating that there are no notes on their system as to when it will be available in the West or Oval but yet when enquiring about the East Courtyard we have a date of arrival.

what do you guys think?

fjon wrote: »

Vodafone have told me (I'm currently out of contract) that its flat rate €30 per month on an 18 month contract for Fibre Broadband. Cheaper than Eircom but without the option of the phone.

My only concern with going with broadband only from Vodafone is that now that Efibre is available we can also get phone and TV included in the package. The channels on the TV package are nowhere near as good as UPC or SKY but as a package for everything its quite cheap. Should I choose to go for broadband only with Vodafone then if I want a TV package I have to get Eircom or Sky and it may work out more expensive. Ive yet to compare all of the costs etc

syklops wrote: »
    I'm in The Oval, next to my lift is a panel that says "Eircom connections", so Im hoping Eircom have access. If Eircom have access then Vodafone do as well, right?

Tullyvale is as far a s I know 100% covered by Eircom lines, meaning that you can definitely get Vodafone as long as you can get a landline from Eircom. So once it becomes available you should have no issues, unless for some mad reason you cant get a landline into your apartment. The telephone line hub in my building is located behind one of the wooden panels in the hallway on ground floor. Its a very small grey box with a tonne of wires leading in and out of it. (saw it one day when an "engineer" had it open :rolleyes: ) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wannabejay

Good afternoon all. I'm new to boards but I've been watching this thread for ages and thanks for all the effort. I live in the East Courtyard Block G (that's the centre three-story block on the east courtyard side closest to the dip/valley at the front). I called eircom also but I'm told that although the other blocks in the east courtyard have been given a date, there is no allocated date against block G. I can't see why Block G would be singled out not to activate and I'm hoping it's just an oversight on the system but I'm looking forward to next week to find out for sure. Like the rest of you, my broadband with Digiweb is awful, I'm lucky to get even 100 kb/s on a very good day.

Any luck today with anyone? I've had no postal offers and the eircom number checker is still telling me that fibre is not available yet.
    I'm in east courtyard, block G.

I was speaking to eircom just now, block G won't be live until december but perhaps sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Eircom told me yesterday they have NFI when The Oval will be done.
    I believe them.

• Advertisement

Eircom told me yesterday they have NFI when The Oval will be done.
    I believe them.

I feel like they're going to switch on east, then west and we'll be left out in the cold in the oval

so has anyone got it yet? I'm looking for some feedback on speeds, I'm 2 clicks away from ordering the TV and eFiber bundle €38 per month first 6 months then 63 afterwards.

any thoughts on options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

so has anyone got it yet? I'm looking for some feedback on speeds, I'm 2 clicks away from ordering the TV and eFiber bundle €38 per month first 6 months then 63 afterwards.

any thoughts on options?

Still not available in West. Anyone in East know if it has been switched on?

Still coming up as not available on the Eircom line checker. It tells me that up to 24mb regular broadband is but it also says the line is only capable of 3 Mb/s. Currently I get 0.75 mb/s down and 0.2 mb/s up if I'm lucky.
    I'm in block G though and I think for some reason we've been overlooked this time.

Strangely enough though, netflix is usually fine. I've bought a PS Vita to go with the PS4, the idea being I can play my PS4 when abroad or out somewhere with wifi. But because the upload of my own broadband is so terrible, I might as well have bought a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rosco II

Nothing in West, of course. If anything, the internet has gotten SLOWER. I play games online and the lag the last 2 weeks has been ridiculous. Tho I did see a KPN Networks guy messing around with the cab at East. Would not be suprised if we still havent gotten it in the New Year

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rosco II

And my max download has bee 350kb for the last few months. Jokee

Make sure ye are calling eircom and complaining, otherwise sure we are wasting our time. Don't accept a line check as functionally the line is working, just slow and getting slower. Sure when there is a stack of lads and lassies looking for service we might get somewhere

Okay so heres something you all can do to get the best out of your "existing" connection. Provided its coming down the telephone line. So here we go.

Step 1.
    type 192.168.2.1 into your browser to get connected to your router
    Note : this address might change depending on what router you use.
    If you have trouble finding the IP of your router you can run ipconfig in your command line on windows or ifconfig in terminal on mac and you should find it.

Step 2.
    From here you should be able to navigate to your connection overview where you can see the "actual" connection speeds that your router is "genuinely" receiving down the line.
    From that you can work out what your receiving.
    Write this figure down.

Step 3.
    Call eircom/Vodafone and ask for a line check...
    So if they say your line is only capable of 3 and your figure from your router is somewhere between 2.5 and 3 then ask them to make sure that your on a 3Mb profile ... Profile is the key word here.

another example if your line is capable of 3 and your only receiving 2048kbps to your router then ask them to put you on a 2Mb profile.

(the reason for all of this will be explained below)

Step 4.
    Based on the new profile that you've been put on you can now restart your router and wait 2 mins for the changes to take place. This should in theory deliver a much better quality of service even at low speeds.

EXPLAINATION.
    So I know that is brief and theres probably a tonne more explaining I could do around each step but thats the general approach.

So why should I do this?
    Well basically, in Tullyvale due to us being approximatley 4Km of cable away from the exchange we all suffer from a low noise margin. meaning that we lose signal as it travels across the 4Km. So when they say capable of 3 you might only after 4Km be receiving 1.5 or 2Mb connection.
    Now if they are always sending 3Mb worth of connection that means your losing packets across the network.

SOLUTION.
    By adjusting your profile (the amount of broadband - packets) that eircom or vodaofn send you to match the amount that your receiving you will end up with a service with no loss of packets and no jittery crap connection.
    Now it will only be the speed that your receiving BUT it will be much much better.

Hope this makes sense and hope it helps.

Ps: My connection is "capable" of 3Mb but I am on a 2Mb profile in order to get a 'solid' connection which I can game (PS4) and watch Netflix no problem. (or at least with much less issues than before I adjusted the profile to match my received download speed.)

Leeroy! :)

Met a guy from KN networks this evening, he installed Eircom (new) broadband in one or 2 of the lower numbered Oval apartments.
    He reckons 96 megabit is what it came in at. He has no idea when the other oval aprtments will be done ;-)

• Advertisement

96 Megs. Currently getting 4. Yeah I'll take 96. Take my money!

Advertisement