Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tullyvale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rosco II

For those who still are left with the crappy broadband, leave an angry post in the eircom forum. I just left one there, if we all do it then it may grab their attention.

I had an "engineer" out to look at the line and he says im getting the max service! .450mb/sec is considered the max here. Jesus wept.

Great news for anyone in west and the Oval, KN networks have started digging up the front at the car park this morning, we will have efibre by Christmas.

According to the builder, the reason it was so late is that Eircom had troubling getting permission from the management company to come in and dig up the entrance at west courtyard.

Happy Christmas y'all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brenosullivan

THAT IS AMAZING NEWS!
    I can't believe the delay was the management company!!
    I saw the KN crowd digging away this morning. Felt like hugging them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rosco II wrote: »

According to the builder, the reason it was so late is that Eircom had troubling getting permission from the management company to come in and dig up the entrance at west courtyard.

I take this excuse with a large pinch of salt.

I was speaking with the Management company a few weeks ago, and they said they were very eager to get fibre installed, that Eircom had finished the external work and they were waiting on Eircom to supply them with a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah. saw the kn guys digging today, they just had to wait for afew cars to move so they could get the digger in place. Plan was then to get the entry hole into basement from the new trench. shouldnt be too long now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 g0nzo

Great news for anyone in west and the Oval, KN networks have started digging up the front at the car park this morning, we will have efibre by Christmas.

Hopefully this time the good news is true ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wannabejay

Anyone else in East Courtyard Block G..? can't get a straight answer from eircom as to why we seem to be the only east courtyard block not to be fibre enabled. It's doing my head in, mostly using the hotspot on my phone instead.

Dunno wannabejay. There is now a cabinet over where the cables terminated, how many blocks it serves.... anyones guess. You might well be in luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brenosullivan

Anyone get an update on this? Last I saw were the Eircom vans wiring up the new boxes on the 23rd of December. Are we there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Leeroy!

East Courtyard getting full signal 81Mbps down and 13 Mbps up :cool:

im in heaven ... after many many years and to think any other provider could have had all of our business had they got in before.

either way the end is nigh gentlemen, if not right anyway it will 100% be turned on soon, maybe they are just using East courtyard as a trial before they make live the other cabinets ...?

• Advertisement

Hi Leeroy,
    that's fantastic news! although still when I use the eircom line checker I'm told that it's not yet available. I'm in Block G, east courtyard. How have you been able to check the new speeds? Have you already signed up to fibre previous to it going live?
    Can I ask what block you're in?

thanks

I have DSL from digiweb. Whats the cheapest way for me to get Fibre?

I use speedtest.net to check the speed. just checked a second ago and got 95.2Mbps down and 19.08Mps up ... incredible!
    Also I can log into my router and see all the stats there and work out exactly what im getting.

If you call Eircom or Vodafone they can test your line to see if its enabled and if so what speeds you'll get roughly.

make sure to give them your landline number if you have one. It makes it a whole lot easier.

Leeroy! wrote: »
    I use speedtest.net to check the speed. just checked a second ago and got 95.2Mbps down and 19.08Mps up ... incredible!
    Also I can log into my router and see all the stats there and work out exactly what im getting.

If you call Eircom or Vodafone they can test your line to see if its enabled and if so what speeds you'll get roughly.

make sure to give them your landline number if you have one. It makes it a whole lot easier.
    Rocking ping time there too Leeroy........

Does anyone know if I can get fibre from Digiweb?

Edit: Ok, I can get fibre from Digiweb, but I will need to call them to verify I can get it from them. It will make things easier as I have digiweb already.

Thanks Leeroy,
    called eircom again and after speaking with about five different people, finally told that my apartment is one of only two in a block of ten that are not switched over and no explanation as to why. A manager would call me "no later than friday" which of course they never did. More calls tomorrow I guess. Doesn't make any sense to me at all why a technician would go to the trouble of opening the cabinet and setting eight out of ten connections and leaving two. Half day? dentist appointment? wtf. baffled.

wannabejay wrote: »
    Thanks Leeroy,
    called eircom again and after speaking with about five different people, finally told that my apartment is one of only two in a block of ten that are not switched over and no explanation as to why. A manager would call me "no later than friday" which of course they never did. More calls tomorrow I guess. Doesn't make any sense to me at all why a technician would go to the trouble of opening the cabinet and setting eight out of ten connections and leaving two. Half day? dentist appointment? wtf. baffled.

My god ... I really feel for you. There is nothing more frustrating that a situation like that which surrounds a genuine need for a service only to find no explanation. I would definitely take it up with Eircom continually until you get an answer.

Do you have an eircom phone line right now yeah? because if you have the phone line I honestly cant see why they wouldnt add your line from the cabinet. Unless based on what block and what apartment your in there is some layout issue that prevents them running a telephone line in ...

really hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks lads,
    Called eircom again today - useless and tried tea-drinkers contact too with no luck either (but thanks!)
    I had a look inside service riser marked eircom in the apartment block and took a picture of the telephone distribution panel etc.

Is the fibre/not fibre state already established before this panel (i.e, at the new green cabinet outside or a computer in limerick or wherever).?

If the engineer were to "flick the switch" or rewire or whatever is needed,
    I'm guessing this would physically happen before this panel or am I wrong?
    after the effort of photographing etc, boards wont let me put up an image because I'm new.

so here's a the same link with an extra space bewteen each and everyone character which hopefully finds the right person.

h t t p s : / / i m a g e s h a c k . c o m / i / i p q Z W l B z j

If I'm wrong and this panel is useful to me, then I've included the details on how each wire is connected up if anyone knows how I can magically reconfigure it to show my number as fibre enabled and allow me to call eircom, play dumb and buy broadband.

Clutching at straws here I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Hi,

Has anyone in The Oval had any joy getting info from eircom?

I'm still being told "We have no date for rollout in your location".

Eircom finally got back to me yesterday and said my line is not included on the new cabinet and that I'll have to wait for the next cabinet to be installed which "should" be within the next twelve months. Maybe the Oval are in the same boat bricky06.

Just seems really strange to me that the cabinet split is 8 apartments versus two apartments in the same east courtyard 10 apartment block.

I'll just had to accept crappy broadband for now. Priced satellite broadband but it's crazy money with very low download limits that Netflix would eat up within a matter of hours.

If any lucky fibre neighbours closeby want to share their wireless key, I'll split the monthly cost with them

• Advertisement

That sucks man, maybe you will be connected when the new cabinet that was set up at West goes online?

Leeroy am I right in saying that the cabinet at the druid valley entrance was installed as much as a year ago but you only recently got efibre? this doesn't bode well for us on the other side, could be waiting months!

How long after you got your install date did it go live? Were you all automatically boosted up or did an "engineer" have to set it up? Cheers

wannabejay wrote: »
    Thanks lads,
    Called eircom again today - useless and tried tea-drinkers contact too with no luck either (but thanks!)
    I had a look inside service riser marked eircom in the apartment block and took a picture of the telephone distribution panel etc.

Is the fibre/not fibre state already established before this panel (i.e, at the new green cabinet outside or a computer in limerick or wherever).?

If the engineer were to "flick the switch" or rewire or whatever is needed,
    I'm guessing this would physically happen before this panel or am I wrong?
    after the effort of photographing etc, boards wont let me put up an image because I'm new.

so here's a the same link with an extra space bewteen each and everyone character which hopefully finds the right person.

h t t p s : / / i m a g e s h a c k . c o m / i / i p q Z W l B z j

If I'm wrong and this panel is useful to me, then I've included the details on how each wire is connected up if anyone knows how I can magically reconfigure it to show my number as fibre enabled and allow me to call eircom, play dumb and buy broadband.

Clutching at straws here I know.

just checkout out the link https://imageshack.com/i/ipqZWlBzj and what your looking at is the simple phone line connection. The engineers wont touch them and you wouldnt get any benefit from doing so either.
    the way the fibre works is that they wire actual fibre optic cable from the exchange up to the cabinets in the estate and then from there they hook onto the existing phone lines. No upgrades of lines internally at all. Hence the phrase "fibre to the cabinet" which is what eFibre is.

so to mess with the internal lines would be of no use as they dont play any role other than receiving the new signal from the cabinet close to your home.

this is not real "fibre" broadband like UPC but only "fibre to the cabinet" thats why were up to 100Mbps and UPC are currently at 240Mbps to homes.

what we get is a mix of copper and fibre but it works and solves a problem liek the one we have with ducting issues up in Tullyvale without any need to dig up the roads and plum new fibre into our houses.

As to why the hell they excluded some homes and not surroundings I would say the enginner probably left early / forgot / was too lazy ... or there could be a genuine reason. But as i said if you have a phone line from eircom there is no reason you couldnt get fibre from the cabinet.

That sucks man, maybe you will be connected when the new cabinet that was set up at West goes online?

Leeroy am I right in saying that the cabinet at the druid valley entrance was installed as much as a year ago but you only recently got efibre? this doesn't bode well for us on the other side, could be waiting months!

How long after you got your install date did it go live? Were you all automatically boosted up or did an "engineer" have to set it up? Cheers

It was December 2013 when they started to dig up the road and January 2014 when they "wired" up the cabinets. however it wasn't until a year later that it was turned on.

Were close guys to all having it, and from our horrible situation in Tullyvale <snip>, we shoudl just take it as a good thing (albeit frustrating) that the end is close.

the cabinets are there, East courtyard is live, I'm sure East courtyard is the guinea pig and the others will follow suit soon, but unfortunately in Eircoms eyes soon can mean 12 months ... :confused:

anyway. Keep the pressure on and maybe they will come through earlier than expected.

*** forgot to answer the last bit -> Ye an engineer needs to come out to the house to install the new cable router and test the line. He will spend about 20 mins, testing the line and slowly starting off at about 20Mbps bumping it up in notches to makes sure your line has no faults and can handle the new upgraded speed. When he left i was at 24Mbps ... thinking that was pretty crap but still happy, then over 2 days it went up to over 90.
    And no there is no auto bump as without the new router and the engineers system to tell the exchange to connect the line and make it active there can be no fibre speed given to the line, youll be just running off the old phone line and exchange. Engineer was out 5 days after i made the appointment right on the day and tim time that was scheduled. really nice guy too.

Thanks Leeroy, from looking a the Eircom fourm it seems that you were one of the lucky ones who had it installed as per the date they were given. I guess then that you had to sign up for a couple of years anyway?

Eircoms history would suggest that we wont be getting it anytime soon in West, what gets me the most is their unwillingness to share information. They say they cant give us a time line but who is this planning team and why cant they access their data. Its incredibly annoying and I have left several angry posts lately on the forums but they ignore all of them (funny I know!).

At least I know that when we eventually get it it will be awesome!

Anyone any updates?

My hopes were raised when I got a UPC flyer in the mail box this morning. OH rang UPC and they said we are still not covered.

We are in the Oval, on the west side, anyone there gotten fibre yet?

syklops wrote: »
    Anyone any updates?

My hopes were raised when I got a UPC flyer in the mail box this morning. OH rang UPC and they said we are still not covered.

We are in the Oval, on the west side, anyone there gotten fibre yet?
    *Waves out window at Skylops
    Yeah I got a call from Eircom today, he said the cab I am in is scheduled to be prepped for e-fibre in 1- 3 months.
    I'm block K I think, 102 -119 anyway.

*Waves out window at Skylops
    Yeah I got a call from Eircom today, he said the cab I am in is scheduled to be prepped for e-fibre in 1- 3 months.
    I'm block K I think, 102 -119 anyway.

OT but, did you enjoy the bit of drama in that block a few weeks ago?

This is starting to sound like good news, but we'll be moving out in the next 9 months or so. I wonder is it worth it. Especially if I move my phone to 3 and get unlimited data.

Digiweb just rang me to tell me my fibre is being turned on around the 15th of April.

The Eircom line checker tells me that Im fibre ready.

However I switched to sky recently and they said that its not available yet.

has anyone in West or Oval tried getting it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Typical - I live here for 4 years, and the week before I move out we get Fibre. I ran the checker and it's enabled (West).
    One of the first things I checked when looking at a new place was what broadband they had - I would hate to be in another situation like this for the next few years.

Advertisement