Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant calls from an 'unknown number'...

Options
  • 28-02-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I have been getting calls to my mobile from an unknown number, when I answer there is just silence on the other end, sometimes I hang up straight away sometimes I listen for a while to see if I can hear anything that might indicate who it is.

This has been happening for 3.5 years now...I have changed my handset three times in the last few years, although my number has stayed the same.

A good while back I went into Vodafone and asked them if they could check it out for me, they said something along the lines of having to formally make a complaint of harassment to the Gardai in order to do anything about it.

There has only ever been silence on the other end when I answer...I originally thought it was a problem with an automated phone call alarm thing that I have seen as an option on some phones, but after asking Vodafone (& changing handset so many times) this came as unlikely...

...its intimidating to think it could be someone being freaky (I mean 3.5 years!!??), that's what gets me about it, even though its not a specific threat.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Or is there anything I could ask Vodafone to do, surely they can check unknown numbers out for what they really are? Maybe I just got a pretty unhelpful person at the desk that day (not unusual when it comes to Vodafone in my experience).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Contacting the Gardai is all you can do, that or change your number, as far as I'm aware network providers can't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

You should change your number and inform your friends family etc. If it still happens after that then its someone you know who is doing it to you. you can implement a process of elimination then to discover the abuser.

I had some wagon sms me on and off for months. It is a stressful thing but done and dusted when I got a new number.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

I have been toying with the idea of changing my number...I have had it for many years now and I'd really hate the major hassle of changing it...I guess I was looking for a way out other than that, but it seems to be the only way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

I have been toying with the idea of changing my number...I have had it for many years now and I'd really hate the major hassle of changing it...I guess I was looking for a way out other than that, but it seems to be the only way to go...

I had this problem with my landline a number of years ago. Went to the Garda and was informed that I would have to make application for the Garda to gain access to this information and when the number had been indentified, that it would almost be necessary for them to catch the individual making the call as anybody who had access to the number could be making the calls.
    Do you have access to your call history on the internet and what is recorded for the times the calls are received by you.
    Beyond this, changing your number is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get an android phone and an app that will ignore calls from private numbers

• Advertisement

- I don't know if I can access my call history online, I have a feeling Vodafone can access it though as they looked through my history when I asked them about it years ago
    ...but they said I would have to make a formal complaint to Gardai in order for them to do anything about it...& even then I wouldn't be allowed to be informed who the caller was (if they found out) unless I was taking him/her to court.

- I do remember a Garda telling me if there was just silence on the other end of the line & no verbal harassment then I couldn't really do anything about it...

- I have an android phone now, the app was suggested to me but I take alot of calls to do with work that are blocked numbers too so that wouldn't work unfortunately

...guess its change my number or put up with it (& hope I don't get approached by this freak some day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

- I don't know if I can access my call history online, I have a feeling Vodafone can access it though as they looked through my history when I asked them about it years ago
    ...but they said I would have to make a formal complaint to Gardai in order for them to do anything about it...& even then I wouldn't be allowed to be informed who the caller was (if they found out) unless I was taking him/her to court.

- I do remember a Garda telling me if there was just silence on the other end of the line & no verbal harassment then I couldn't really do anything about it...

- I have an android phone now, the app was suggested to me but I take alot of calls to do with work that are blocked numbers too so that wouldn't work unfortunately

...guess its change my number or put up with it (& hope I don't get approached by this freak some day!)

Have a look at https://www.vodafone.ie/myv/services/registration/index.jsp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

That must be pretty annoying to get all the time. When you said "unknown" number, did you mean there was a phone number showing on CID but came out without a name or is the caller name withheld and came out as "private"?

If you have a phone number, you can actually the the person. It must be some prank callers because telemarketers don't do that. They call and sell to you, not fall silent and listen to your voice. You can refer to local authorities and file a formal complaint. Then you can subpoena the telephone company to release caller information. Once you have that, then you have your legal options.

But if it's showing as "private", it'd be more work. If the calls continue, you have to keep record of the calls: time and date, nature and duration. After you've gather sufficient information, then you can file for a complaint and subpoena telephone company to release caller details. Then sue the man.

I've actually had a similar experience before and I got the same advise when I reported the phone number at http://www.callercenter.com. I hope you get to sort this out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

This is stalking. There's no point denying it. Contact the Gardai. There's not much else you can do.
    Also, if the caller gets your new number every time you change it then there's a good chance you know the person. Just my 2 cents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Sounds like someone is stalking you!! Inform the Gardai ask them to investigate and keep a record of all the calls.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. It was my fiancee's ex GF. The reason we found out it was her was because she must have accidently forgot to put the phone on private one day because a number came up and we had no idea whose the number was as it wasn't registered to anyone just "a woman" so a pay as you go num.....
    I was looking at a flyer she had put up in a local shop and bingo there was the number!!!! She had bought it as her business number. The guards rang the number and asked could they come and see her said it was something to do with something else. Didn't mention the crank calls. She totally denied it when they went to visit her, she said she got the phone from a friend but couldn't remember the name of the friend etc etc....anyway the phone calls stopped for a while....and then started again so I got I just kept recording the calls.

The easiest thing you can do is change your number.

• Advertisement

janiceross wrote: »
    That must be pretty annoying to get all the time. When you said "unknown" number, did you mean there was a phone number showing on CID but came out without a name or is the caller name withheld and came out as "private"?

If you have a phone number, you can actually the the person. It must be some prank callers because telemarketers don't do that. They call and sell to you, not fall silent and listen to your voice. You can refer to local authorities and file a formal complaint. Then you can subpoena the telephone company to release caller information. Once you have that, then you have your legal options.

But if it's showing as "private", it'd be more work. If the calls continue, you have to keep record of the calls: time and date, nature and duration. After you've gather sufficient information, then you can file for a complaint and subpoena telephone company to release caller details. Then sue the man.

I've actually had a similar experience before and I got the same advise when I reported the phone number at http://www.callercenter.com. I hope you get to sort this out soon.

Yeah it comes up as 'unknown number' on my phone...I know that some calls I receive for work are private or blocked numbers & come up on my phone as 'unknown' also.
    I think this is why Vodafone & Gardai have put me off getting anywhere with it, they were very unhelpful!
    I was keeping track of every time they called the first 2 years then theys eemed to call less frequently (like once a week instead of 3+ times a week)...then it was a few weeks without hearing from them, then back to weekly....then I got another one 3 weeks ago and noticed I haven't heard from them in a while (around 3 months)...and have gotton 2 calls in the last 3 weeks again....so they are sporadic these days to say the least...but still freaky due to the years they have put in to harassing me!

rayh wrote: »

I am registered with My Vodafone online, but I am on Pay As You Go so I cant look at a 'statement' type bill to see the calls...if thats what you meant by the link?

notsobusy wrote: »
    Sounds like someone is stalking you!! Inform the Gardai ask them to investigate and keep a record of all the calls.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. It was my fiancee's ex GF. The reason we found out it was her was because she must have accidently forgot to put the phone on private one day because a number came up and we had no idea whose the number was as it wasn't registered to anyone just "a woman" so a pay as you go num.....
    I was looking at a flyer she had put up in a local shop and bingo there was the number!!!! She had bought it as her business number. The guards rang the number and asked could they come and see her said it was something to do with something else. Didn't mention the crank calls. She totally denied it when they went to visit her, she said she got the phone from a friend but couldn't remember the name of the friend etc etc....anyway the phone calls stopped for a while....and then started again so I got I just kept recording the calls.

The easiest thing you can do is change your number.

Some strange people out there huh? I think changing my number is the way to go unfortunately...Maybe have 2 phones for a while, still be contactable at my old number for a few months & gradually change over to the new number

sh__93 wrote: »
    This is stalking. There's no point denying it. Contact the Gardai. There's not much else you can do.
    Also, if the caller gets your new number every time you change it then there's a good chance you know the person. Just my 2 cents :D

A part of me is still making excuses for what it could be as I am baffled as to who would want to stalk me! *shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 1 utkarsh king

how does site help me??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I had this too on my mobile but it stopped. When I googled the number it seemed to come from UPC... Also had it happening on the landline, many calls from unknown and many calls from India.

There are various automated phone scams running - this makes a probing call checking to see if the number has a person answering it. If active then this number gets added to various scam lists, then you get a call from India offering you technical support :D

Vodafone did nothing for me, and I cba complaining to the guards. Loads of people get these annoying calls and it seems there is little to be done about it. Blocking all calls from India would be a start.

So OP: don't worry noone is stalking you. It's just annoying scammers, and many people have to put up with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement