Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fungicide for seed potatoes to prevent blight?!

Options
  • 28-02-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently gotten an allotment and have some seed potatoes (early variety) that I want to plant. I've been advised to use a fungicide to prevent blight, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to any product names? Also do you spray the seed potatoes before covering them with soil?

Cheers,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

hi blight is not that simple unfortunately. ditane 945 would be one of the main product. its applied to the leaves rather than the tuber. once a blight warning is issued from met eireann spray leaves every 7 days. good luck home grown v tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Yes as above blight attacks potatoes through the foilage rather than the tuber unless the seed you have is already infected from the previous year. Any application should be after the foilage appears above the ground especially during blight conditions(hot humid weather), Met Eireann usually gives out blight warnings. Always read the product label for the harvest interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Once the first foliage appears keep mounding soil onto them for a couple of weeks until the risk of Frost has gone.

Also follow the info provided by the Cardinal and Gingernut

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I have access to months old horse manure, is this good for seed potatoes or is there some type of potato fertilizer I need to get

Advertisement