Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Parnell Road part of Harold's Cross or Crumlin?

Options
  • 28-02-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Not been from Dublin i'm not sure if Parnell Rd is in Harold's Cross or Crumlin, I moved into a shared house last year and was told by the landlady that it was Harold's Cross, postman said it was Crumlin after I had a week delay getting a letter.
    Now I see a number 7 Parnell RD in property.ie listed as Crumlin and number 8 Parnell Rd is in myhome.ie as Harold's Cross..

I've since moved out but I see the landlady is still advertising in daft.ie as been in Harold's Cross, I know now after been a year in Dublin that Crumlin is not seen in the best light, so that's the reason. Surly daft should not allow this as it's blatant false advertising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 noisehelp

It's in Crumlin officially. It's a bit of no mans land in reality. It's on the very fringe of Crumlin. The absolute outer extremity. It's actually really far away from the heartland of Crumlin and right on top of the heartland of Harolds X. I'm sure that's why it is advertised as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

i just checked in the new google maps where they map out all the villages, and its well in crumlin. Not saying we should take googles word but looks like it is crumlin

• Registered Users Posts: 15 noisehelp

I just checked that it was the same place I thought it was and it is. According to google maps it's 1.5km away from Harolds X stadium. I'd call that the middle of Harolds X. And 3km away from Captains Road and I'd call that the middle of Crumlin.

That's my rationale for saying it's closer to the heartland of Harolds X than Crumlin and that's probably why it's advertised as such. And yes because Crumlin isn't seen in the best light it's probably advertised that way.

However I'm not arguing the toss with you. Parnell Road is in Crumlin. No two ways about it. It probably shouldn't be allowed be advertised as being in Harolds X because it's just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Which end of Parnell Road? The Grove Road End? I'd have a hard time seeing that as Crumlin but it seems to be in Dublin 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aughvannagh Road and west is Dolphins Barn, east is Harold's Cross. None of it is Crumlin. Crumlin is from Sundrive Garda Station west to Walkinstown Road. Crumlin Village is at Agnes Road.

However, for postal purposes, what is important is the street address and the post code. I don't have my postcodes map to hand, but its all Dublin 12, although I think some of the minor streets at the east end aren't.

Arbutus Avenue is Dublin 12: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Dublin+12&hl=en&ll=53.330175,-6.281637&spn=0.00148,0.010568&sll=53.327387,-6.288342&sspn=0.012995,0.042272&hnear=Dublin+12&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.330009,-6.281701&panoid=nIhabdU7oMSNG2-A2YI3VQ&cbp=12,274.4,,0,9.13 as is Clogher Road: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Dublin+12&hl=en&ll=53.330489,-6.283987&spn=0.00148,0.010568&sll=53.327387,-6.288342&sspn=0.012995,0.042272&hnear=Dublin+12&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.330219,-6.2842&panoid=nclI3u90-esc_1Tj0ZhH2A&cbp=12,108.89,,2,-6.76

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Hey,

Not been from Dublin i'm not sure if Parnell Rd is in Harold's Cross or Crumlin, I moved into a shared house last year and was told by the landlady that it was Harold's Cross, postman said it was Crumlin after I had a week delay getting a letter.
    Now I see a number 7 Parnell RD in property.ie listed as Crumlin and number 8 Parnell Rd is in myhome.ie as Harold's Cross..

I've since moved out but I see the landlady is still advertising in daft.ie as been in Harold's Cross, I know now after been a year in Dublin that Crumlin is not seen in the best light, so that's the reason. Surly daft should not allow this as it's blatant false advertising.

Number 7 is at the East end of Parnell Road, between Harold's Cross Bridge and Greenmount Lane.

Postcodes and Google maps notwithstanding, personally I think your ex-landlady is being fairly honest in her description of the location of the property to rent ... certainly more than many, many other advertisements I've seen in property websites.

You're correct, for many people Harold's Cross is considered a better location than Crumlin, but if I was looking for somewhere to rent in Crumlin and Number 7 was listed as being there, I'd feel it was incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Victor wrote: »
    Aughvannagh Road and west is Dolphins Barn, east is Harold's Cross. None of it is Crumlin. Crumlin is from Sundrive Garda Station west to Walkinstown Road. Crumlin Village is at Agnes Road.

[/url]

Aughavannagh road is most definitely in Crumlin....lower Crumlin as its known (from behind Clogher road church down to the canal) - its all part of the Crumlin housing scheme.....so is Parnell road....but hey I would nt' move outta the house on that basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I tried to buy number 8, but ran into problems getting any one to insure the property. I see it has just been sold for 210k (70k less than we had agreed, before we couldn't complete).

It is in Harrolds cross, check out the ordancy survey maps on www.osi.ie (and also going through the legal process of trying to buy it).

However it, like all of Parnell road is in Dublin 12. The houses behind number 7 & 8 Parnell road are in Dublin 6. Hence the confusion, with An Post and google maps etc often getting it wrong.

Harrolds cross stradles post codes 6, 6w and 12. The post codes are for the convience of An Post and don't always follow the actual boundries of areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

An post have an address checker on their site. It would be the most realiable place to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Does it matter ? The landlord is trying to put his property in the best light possible, although probably pushing the boundaries in terms of the description.

Show me one house for rent or for sale that doesnt ?

I find it hard to believe anybody would rent it because the address says harolds cross instead of crumlin regardless so it becomes a moot point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement