Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pc

Options
  • 28-02-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? well max 2K

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, live streaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer ? no

5. Do you need a monitor? no i have 2

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? hannspree hf257and HP L2151ws there ok

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? i'd like to not have to so i could get longer from them

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? soon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? i'll try myself but i live in dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tosh_2006

where can i get a high spec computer build and fully tested for a fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Hardwareversand.de will build for €5 until the 4th of March. They have a huge selection and good prices.
    However, you have to pay by bank transfer as this is more standard that credit cards in Germany.

^^^ Great build, but isn't two 7970s a little gratuitous?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Probably. :D

I did mention he could go with one, but I usually treat the "limit" as more of a "target", so...

• Advertisement

ok it turns out i can get a computer to start off with here is the spec and what can i upgrade to do what i'd like

Case: Coolermaster HAF Mini
    PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w
    Motherboard: Asus M4A79 Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850
    RAM: 8gb Geil DDR2 1066 dual kit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he can knock off the price of the OS as well as he said he didn't need one unless it is 32bit

Case: Coolermaster HAF Mini
    PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w
    Motherboard: Asus M4A79 Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850
    RAM: 8gb Geil DDR2 1066 dual kit

i'm starting from this now just need to see what i can upgrade to get what i want or so i just use the case and psu

The new system would certainly be better in most aspects but it depends on how much you'd want to save.
    Getting the SSD is still a good idea, but that motherboard only supports SATA 3Gbps so it would be a little slower than a new one unless you get a suitable 6Gbps SATA card. A 2500K is a very powerful CPU although if gaming is a priority, GPU is more important.

Graphics... the 5850 is still a good card. It would manage high detail in most games, but a 7950 would be much better. You would have to weigh up your expectations of the system, but you can always upgrade later.

You'd still need a hard drive too. A heatsink as well if you want to overclock the 955.

i was thinking about just keeping case psu and HD 5850 but get a second 1 to crossfire and replace everything else

• Advertisement

I wouldn't invest in a second 5850. Firstly, crossfire doesn't scale as well as 6000 series. Secondly, you won't find many new ones around and they will be overpriced. Even the second hand ones are a bit overpriced.
    Thirdly, it's two generations old. The 7950 is out now and the 7850 & 7870 are due in a week.

You might get a bit of money from selling those parts as they would certainly be useful to someone.
    IMO - stick with the one 5850 or get two if you get a very good deal. Otherwise, get a single new powerful card and sell the 5850. You can always add a second one later.

will the case and psu do or should i replace that as well i was thinking about getting a i7 2600 i think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that case is great, it's the same one as in my signature and the psu you have is a similar one to mine which will support 3 high end cards

tosh_2006 wrote: »
    will the case and psu do or should i replace that as well i was thinking about getting a i7 2600 i think it was

2500K > 2600.

2600 comes with hyperthreading which isn't that much use unless you're doing heavy encoding or the application avails of it whereas the 2500K can be overclocked to give a much bigger advantage.

There's a 2600K too but again, really only worth it if you're going to use the hyperthreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Yea the psu and case would be fine for any build your going to create from 2k and under imo. That psu can power two 7970's.

hmmmmmmm ok i'm at the point of new computer or go travel hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well, you're on a PC building and upgrading forum, so you can probably guess the answer. Then again, if you've never been skiing, I'd go do that. :)

What you have already is by no means horrible. Games don't rely too heavily on CPU, so on average, gains wouldn't be enormous here. The 5850 is still good, considering it is more powerful than the 6850. You are in a pretty good position with regard to upgrades, having a case and a capable PSU. You can always upgrade CPU+Board+RAM in a while and graphics card later, or vice versa.

Advertisement