Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Exactly Is The Difference Between a Canadian and an American Accent??

• 28-02-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

What is exactly the difference between a Canadian and American accent?

I've just come back from a 5 week holiday in Australia and I know I confidently can say I know the difference between an Australian accent and a New Zealand accent. I knew it before I left kinda but I definitely know it now. If a New Zealander spoke to me I would detect his accent within a few sentences easy. Their constant mis-pronounciation of replacing any vowel with an 'I' where possible becomes apparant. Excellent becomes 'iggcellent' an accent becomes iccent, special becomes 'spicial', batter/better becomes 'bitter' etc. It becomes dead obvious after a while.

Canadian and American I can't though? :confused:

On the way back I was in Dubai, and I spoke to a guy to a Canadian guy who I thought was American but then told he was Canadian (from Saskatoon). I ended up speaking to him for a few hours and I couldn't figure out for love nor money where his accent was supposed to different exactly to rest of Americans. I tried hard but I couldn't. :confused:

My father was born in Canada and I feel quite embarresed to not know the difference. I'm usually quite good at understanding accents, but the difference between American/Canadian is some of the hardest I've come across at distinguishing. About 98% of Irish people wouldn't understand either probably.

Could someone tell me what the difference is supposed to be? Do they even have one? If that Canadian guy was speaking to an American, would an American know that guy was Canadian within a few sentences? Is it that different?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what's this aboot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Eh?

Haha - beat me to it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Aeeeeehh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I think South Park did a few bits and pieces on this, didn't they?

Anyway - I don't think it's the same as comparing an Australian and an NZ accent. They're both different countries, yes, but Australia and NZ are also different islands, geographically separated...Canada and the US are right beside each other, border-wise. There'd be much more of an audible 'overlap' of accents with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

There is a real difference and after hanging aboot with Canadians and Americans for teh past few months I can definitly tell the difference. Although, you'll find that some northern American states have quite a Canadian accent to them.

There's defo a distinct difference though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

There's a difference alright, I always found they sound almost a little bit irishy, the ones with strong accents anyway, especially in the Maritimes. But you can tell Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba people apart quite easily usually from Americans, although it's hard to explain the differences in words. I found in Vancouver the people were pretty much the same as yanks, same goes for Toronto, or at least much harder to differentiate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Gnobe wrote: »
    Could someone tell me what the difference is supposed to be? Do they even have one?

There is a difference. You can usually tell by the Canadians dragging out and putting an emphasis on certain vowel sounds, and then other quirks like ending sentences with eh? But some American accents have this aswell, like Minnesota and the Dakotas I've found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

"stoopid fat gun-toting american's, eh"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

very hard to tell the difference op. but it got me thinking. i would say people from america/canada may not be able to tell the difference between an irish accent and an english accent. from my own experience, most europeans i.e. germans, spanish whatever find it difficult to
    know our accent from the british accent.

going back to you question, i cheated as i looked up this site which again points to the similarities yet mentions certain words which americans and canadians say differently, the words being "out" and "got"

here is the link

http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic13412.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They're essentially the same, Canada is just America without guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Canada = America-Lite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

It's aboot three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Canada is the American Dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

No the Canadians have plenty of guns. They just don't feel the need to use them on each other quite as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Canada has never had a girlfriend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Like asking what's the difference between an Irish and Scottish accents :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

old hippy wrote: »
    Like asking what's the difference between an Irish and Scottish accents :D

Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

very hard to tell the difference op.

It's really not.

Superficially similar but very easy to tell 'em apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

Ask a Canadian person to say "we went out and about again and again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

Make them answer a question with OK

OOOK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

They sound different

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I used to not be able to tell the difference but I can a little bit now. I find the American accent immediately very irritating but not Canadian. Canadian accent is almost sweeter or something? All that maple syrup :P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I used to not be able to tell the difference but I can a little bit now. I find the American accent immediately very irritating but not Canadian. Canadian accent is almost sweeter or something? All that maple syrup :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Sounds more Irish to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Canadians are Eh Holes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kristin_87

Being Canadian, sometimes even I have trouble telling the accents apart. A lot of this depends on where your from in either Canada or America. The people from the East coast of Canada (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland etc.) generally have a different accent to those who are from the rest of Canada. Also Americans from the east and south tend to have a more distinct accent. To be honest not a lot of people cant tell the difference i've been called American more times then I care to remember, I'm used to it at this point, only 2 people in Ireland have ever called me Canadian right off the bat.

Additionally using shows like trailer park boys and south park as a reference for a Canadian accent is like using Ps I love you as a reference for an Irish accent. And for the record I've never heard a Canadian person say "aboot" although "eh" does tend to pop up a lot in conversation :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Canadians are the pleasant ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Kristin_87 wrote: »
    Additionally using shows like trailer park boys and south park as a reference for a Canadian accent is like using Ps I love you as a reference for an Irish accent. And for the record I've never heard a Canadian person say "aboot" although "eh" does tend to pop up a lot in conversation :).

That's a common misconception - many Canadians however will pronounce the word 'about' as 'aboat' and 'out' as 'oat'.

Trailer Park Boys versus PS I Love You is hardly a like for like comparison.

TPB affords viewers an opportunity to hear a distinctive lexicon and phonology present in Canadian English, delivered by Canadian actors. That of course does not mean all Canadians sound like that. It may be Maritime-centric, but it is authentic. As for Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank's Oirish brogue....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Giv'r!

I lived with an American guy, well he was Hawaiian, in Vancouver and I found it hard to differenciate between his accent and Vancouverites. Generally I could tell if someone was from eastern Canada or the prairie provinces. I think Vancouver and Toronto/Southern Ontario sounded more American to me. One of my friends from Toronto used to do a take off of a culchie Canadian accent, it sounded like a mid western US accent. I got asked a few times by Canadians if I was from Newfoundland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Newfoundlanders sound pretty much like Travellers. I've yet to hear an American accent that can say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

God... wrote: »

A lot of Irish ended up emigrating there and for some reason they were able to hold onto a kind of Irish twang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

To me - the Newfie accent has always sounded as if made up of 1 part Cornwall, 1 part Wexford and 1 part American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Canadians are the ones that speak french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

ive jus fonished compilin ya spreadshoot with za sole goal of determining whoot exactloy is za dofference betwoon a Conadioon and an Americoon Accent and aport from the pie charts the only answer I can give is aboooot 20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well if there's one difference between Canada and the US, it's that they celebrate a different 9/11

http://www.thewrestlingfan.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/119neverforget.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Mostly it's just how they pronounce certain words. But they also use some phrases slightly different. This is particularly true of slang and less-formal words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Yanks don't say "hosers"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Are they supposed to be different? - - - who said so?

I'b be more worried about the Irish yoof and their little American accents, anyway, I'm off to watch the news noose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Canadian accent is a little less in-yer-face, a bit more neutral. They also speak a little slower than your average yank, though I guess it depends who you're talking to.

Colloquialisms can differ too - I hear 'I know, eh?' and 'for sure' at least 20 times a day here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I find that Canadians put more emphasis on T's at the end of words.. thaT, whaT, don'T...

danslevent wrote: »

I wasn't aware there was a generic, homogenous American accent. I was under the impression that there are a myriad of different inflections/tones/accents - certainly my family down south sounds very different to my family in the north, or mates from the west coast. My fave accent from the US would have to be Hawaiian, it's such a mix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

If you're not sure whether someone is Canadian or American and are too polite to ask, get them to recite the alphabet!

Canadians generally pronounce the letter "z" as "zed," like real people, not "zee."

If you're not sure whether someone is Canadian or American and are too polite to ask, get them to recite the alphabet!

Canadians generally pronounce the letter "z" as "zed," like real people, not "zee."

LOL. Being American; my mom brought me up to say "zee" - I still get grief for occasionally saying it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

old hippy wrote: »
    LOL. Being American; my mom brought me up to say "zee" - I still get grief for occasionally saying it :D

I've always alternated between both, mostly saying "zed." I think most Irish people do, because of the alphabet song. Ending it on "w, x, y and zed" just sounds wrong, so we always said "zee" whenever we sang it in school.

I've always alternated between both, mostly saying "zed." I think most Irish people do, because of the alphabet song. Ending it on "w, x, y and zed" just sounds wrong, so we always said "zee" whenever we sang it in school.

Since moving to London (12/13 yrs now) I've slowly lost some of the Americanisms I grew up with in Ireland and at long last people hear my accent and they immediately know I'm Irish. Dammit, had to leave my home country to get to that stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Canadian accent tends to be more neutral. Where it isn't, it is more heavily influenced by European accents than the American one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats it buddeh

• Advertisement
Advertisement