Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Exactly Is The Difference Between a Canadian and an American Accent??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

The further north you go the more Fargo sounding it gets: "Oh heya, Margie! Howya dooon, Margie!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

old hippy wrote: »
    I wasn't aware there was a generic, homogenous American accent. I was under the impression that there are a myriad of different inflections/tones/accents - certainly my family down south sounds very different to my family in the north, or mates from the west coast. My fave accent from the US would have to be Hawaiian, it's such a mix :)

There is a standard American accent unlike other countries - so common is this that I have heard Americans who were born 1000 miles apart ask each other where they were from, in this case it was Idaho/Wyoming and Indiana. A tipp man never has to ask a Cork man - distance 100 miles. The standard American accent is the accent of the large middle groups, and is the accent of TV, most movies, News reporters, radio and so on. The South and East, and rural parts everywhere have regional accents, but most people have very similar accents, as do Canadians.

NewFoundland is not the standard Canadian accent.

People are playing a bit dumb here. If I could find recordings of people - who weren't already famous - and ask where in American they were born, I don't think anybody would get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Where do you put the syrup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

thats it buddeh

I'm not your buddy, guy!

Canadians drink something called pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Vowels. All about the vowels.

Ask a Canadian to say "process".

We say prah-cess and they say pro-cess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    thats it buddeh

I'm not your buddy, guy!

I'm not your guy, buddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

isn't that what the Vietnamese used to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

It's the vowels :P

OP, have you never seen How I Met Your Mother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

If their head separates as they talk they're Canadian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I can easily tell the difference between Canadian and American for the most part.

I was born in Canada and lived there until I was 6. I have a Kerry accent now, but sometimes some Canadianisms slip out. With words like 'out' and 'house'.

If I'm back in Canada for a few weeks I tend to get some of the accent back. Though that could be a subconscious thing so they understand me easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

There is a standard American accent unlike other countries - so common is this that I have heard Americans who were born 1000 miles apart ask each other where they were from, in this case it was Idaho/Wyoming and Indiana. A tipp man never has to ask a Cork man - distance 100 miles. The standard American accent is the accent of the large middle groups, and is the accent of TV, most movies, News reporters, radio and so on. The South and East, and rural parts everywhere have regional accents, but most people have very similar accents, as do Canadians.

I think there is a generic Irish accent as well though. A lot of people don't have a local accent, and it is tough enough to pinpoint where they're from. I don't have much of a Limerick accent (although watching sport or arguing seems to bring it out of me). Its the same with some of my friends from Cork, some you can tell within seconds where they're from, a couple managed to avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Well, if the person is speaking French, then you are most likely hearing a Canadian accent. If the person has never even heard of France, then you are most likely listening to an American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

A Canadian accent is just so much "niiiiice-er"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I live in Newfoundland. Maybe da funniest English speaking language on de planet b'y.

And its NEWfoundland, never call it newFOUNDland

We have our own dictionary too and proud of it!

I have a certificate to say I'm an honorary Newfoundlander since I kissed a fish last night. True story.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

If the person has never even heard of France, then you are most likely listening to an American accent.

Yea because most Americans do not know about France and don't have some irrational hatred of the country. "We saved your ass in WWII" words you never hear in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yea because most Americans do not know about France and don't have some irrational hatred of the country. "We saved your ass in WWII" words you never hear in the US.
    ...just poking fun at the stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I "heet" the canadian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

What exactly is the difference between a Canadian and an American outlook? east coast not included

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but did anyone say "Aboot three fiddy" yet? If not, then I want to say it now:

Aboot three fiddy.

Do I win?

EDIT: See below:
    mathie wrote: »
    It's aboot three fiddy.

I'm sad now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

simple ask them what state they are from

if you wake up dazed and confused with a group of bystanders looking down at you then they were probably canadian

Just like the Irish are the blacks of Europe, and Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin, so Canadians are the blacks of North America.

Well, Canadians and African-Americans. But mostly Canadians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Adiboo wrote: »
    I can easily tell the difference between Canadian and American for the most part.

I was born in Canada and lived there until I was 6. I have a Kerry accent now, but sometimes some Canadianisms slip out. With words like 'out' and 'house'.

If I'm back in Canada for a few weeks I tend to get some of the accent back. Though that could be a subconscious thing so they understand me easier?

That's too funny. Im from Northern Minnesota, so when I first came here was always mistaken for Canadian. Not anymore, now I too have a Kerry accent littered with a lot of 'ou' words. Actually its quite terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

O's and E's are strongly accentuated, you'd need to hear the two accents and eventually you'll get it, see we only hear american accents on tv or in movies you don't hear Canadian actors but after watching a few Canaaayedian youutooburhs lately, its similar to Sarah Palin's accent, think Fargo eh.

Now what I am only getting to grips with is deciphering different American accents from one another, and I'm a lot worse with Canadian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

If you ever think you are seeing a very quiet American walking around the place, you're not - you are seeing a Canadian.

Canadians are not taught how to "voice project for ten square miles" when they are in school - Americans are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

i would say a lot of people from america canada may not be able to tell the difference between an irish accent and an english accent. from my own experience, most europeans i.e. germans, spanish because they are as thick as two planks

FYP

If they say the word Supper, they are no doubt Canadian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Eh? and Aboot. That's all

Eh? and Aboot. That's all

No its also in how they pronounce Sorry and Tomorrow.

Sore-y, Tomore-ow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

No its also in how they pronounce Sorry and Tomorrow.

Sore-y, Tomore-ow.

Almost forgot about those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Gnobe wrote: »
    Excellent becomes 'iggcellent' an accent becomes iccent, special becomes 'spicial', batter/better becomes 'bitter' etc. It becomes dead obvious after a while

that sounds like a south african accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

NewFoundland is not the standard Canadian accent.

People are playing a bit dumb here. If I could find recordings of people - who weren't already famous - and ask where in American they were born, I don't think anybody would get it.

are you saying that somebody from boston sounds the same as somebody from Maine or New York - I don't think so honey. Somebody from the East Coast sounds completely different to somebody from the North or mid west - maybe you just haven't spend enough time there yet, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The way they pronounce the 'ou' sound, as in 'house' and 'out', is noticeably different imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

When I was touring Mexico It was quite common to come across US Nationals with Canadian embroidered flags on their back packs pretending not to be Gringo. I can tell the accents as I lived in Seattle for a year and would drive up to my relations in Vancouver BC quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

very hard to tell the difference op. but it got me thinking. i would say people from america/canada may not be able to tell the difference between an irish accent and an english accent. from my own experience, most europeans i.e. germans, spanish whatever find it difficult to
    know our accent from the british accent.
    I find that hard to believe. The difference is so obvious.
    There is a standard American accent
    There isn't. We see the California/Hollywood accent the most, because that's where most of the American media is produced. There is a big difference between the Colorado, California, and Minnesota accents for example. The Pennsylvania accent is very different to the Boston accent, etc.
    The same is true of our media-how many different accents are there in RTE? I can only think of 3 off the top of my head, and two of them only apply to two distinct people whose accents stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There isn't even a general Californian accent. Someone from San Francisco will sound different than someone from Los Angeles and again from rural dwellers of the State. I've a roughly 50-50 success rate of distinguishing the more common American and Canadian accent apart. It's hard at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I'm from near san francisco lived there when i was a kid, but havent got a clue about the accent there. But I can tell the difference between places like Milwaukee, Chicago, New York just through tv and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

dsmythy wrote: »
    There isn't even a general Californian accent. Someone from San Francisco will sound different than someone from Los Angeles and again from rural dwellers of the State. I've a roughly 50-50 success rate of distinguishing the more common American and Canadian accent apart. It's hard at times!
    Yeah, perhaps I should have typed "California"/"Hollywood" accent, as I was talking about that specific media accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 IrishStew12

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They're essentially the same, Canada is just America without guns

that's like saying Irish are no different then English...oh wait, that's what Americans say...Canadians know the difference.

Advertisement