Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal HDD issue

Options
  • 28-02-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

I have 2 internal HDDs, 1 master for the OS, the other slaved that i use to store movies and tv shows on.. The slave is the one with the issue, its a 2TB samsung drive and every since i bought it over half a year ago. I would be using my machine not doing anything to do with the 2TB drive or anything and it would spin up. Id here alittle whine for it spinning up, when the HDD spins up my system freezes for about 2 or 3 seconds. I recently build a new machine and put this HDD in it and hoping the first time around i had done something silly.

But i noticed even in the new machine the HDD does the same thing, it randomly spins up freezing my machine. Or if i have not used that particular HDD in a while and i go and click into it, it spins up then, freezes machine for 2-3 seconds, then goes into the HDD.

Anyone any ideas what could be causeing this? Iv checked the conenctions and everythings plugged in fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

You could try turning off the hard drive power save mode.
    It could be going to sleep on you, so when either you or an application in the background try to access it, it has to start up again and your system is left waiting until the drive starts up again.

Go to - Power Options screen, select Change Plan Settings
    - Change Advanced Power Settings
    - Open the hard disk power options, by clicking on the + next to Hard Disk
    - Change the time listed under Turn Off Hard Disk After to 0

Might work for you but if not, you can always change it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

Hmm this sounds probable. Though i dont know why it would be in power saver mode. But what you say makes sense. Im in work atm but when i get home later ill give that a go. thanks for the post

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

The power save mode is just a default setting in windows, its usually pre-enabled when you install windows. The default settings for hard drives btw is if it's been completely inactive for more than 15minutes it will turn off

Advertisement