Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog weeing

• 28-02-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Our nearly 14yr old dog is having a hard time lately keeping up his wee. He normally starts barking to get out early in the morning, which I never hear but the parents do (and they don't like). This past week or so he has started to wee indoors, something he hasn't done since he was house trained. Normally he barks when he has to go, except now he seems to just do it before he even warns us he has to go.

I realise it's because he's getting old but is there anything that can be done about it? Truth is, my folks want to put him down which might be the best thing for him? He's old, stiff, deaf going blind (well, cataracts) but he still seems to be a happy dog :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

jozi wrote: »
    He's old, stiff, deaf going blind (well, cataracts) but he still seems to be a happy dog :(
    If its a simple case of urinary incontinence its very very treatable. 14 is pushing on for a Labrador alright, but he's by no means past it and the fact you said he appears to be happy is the main thing. Go and see your vet and see what they have to say. You could easily have another 1-2 years with him at least with simple medication. Your photos are gorgeous of him by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

He seems to be happy anyway, tail up and swinging when ever he's getting attention or wobbling about. Hopefully it's just something like you say. I think so long as he's not blind and not in pain he shouldn't be put down, parents who take care of him might disagree.

Would urinary incontinence also be the cause of him wanting out a few times in an hr? He tends to do this in the evenings where he'd only be in 10mins and he's barking to get out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

He seems to be happy anyway, tail up and swinging when ever he's getting attention or wobbling about. Hopefully it's just something like you say. I think so long as he's not blind and not in pain he shouldn't be put down, parents who take care of him might disagree.

Would urinary incontinence also be the cause of him wanting out a few times in an hr? He tends to do this in the evenings where he'd only be in 10mins and he's barking to get out again.

My old lab had a problem with unitary incontinence, whenever she got up after laying down there was a wet patch however sometimes she would just go for a pee in front of you in the house! My vet said incontinence is when they don't realize they are leaking and if they are peeing in front of you it may be a urinary Tract infection. We put her on propalin for 2 weeks and she stopped leaking. She is now off it and hasn't leaked in a while, she still will have the odd accident but it's no big deal which the vet is baffled by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Truth is, my folks want to put him down which might be the best thing for him?
    wrote:
    he shouldn't be put down, parents who take care of him might disagree.
    confused.gif Why are your parents so adamant in having in put down when they havent even gotten him vet checked? Are you not furious? He's old, with a lot of the problems that come with ageing, but none you've described warrant putting him down unless theres something underlying thats more serious.
    I think so long as he's not blind
    Even blindness isnt a reason for him to be PTS either.Dogs cope fine with losing their sight.
    wrote:
    Would he pee everytime he's allowed out or is just barking to get out because someone opens the door for him everytime? This simply could be a learned habit rather than a medical problem. Watch him the next evening he does it. A urinary tract infection would give him the need to urinate more often more so than incontinence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, that's a good age for a lab, so you're doing something right!
    However, as your dog has been asking, albeit not particularly accurately, to go out, it suggests there's more to this than incontinence.
    At his age, any number of health problems could be causing or contributing to the problem: problems with kidneys, liver, bladder, prostate, diabetes... lots of different health problems can cause peeing problems in elderly dogs.
    As a matter of priority, he'll need a thorough check up with the vet, including bloods, as many of these conditions can be managed to preserve quality of life for a little while more.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MurphinMeath

Millem wrote: »
    My old lab had a problem with unitary incontinence, whenever she got up after laying down there was a wet patch however sometimes she would just go for a pee in front of you in the house! My vet said incontinence is when they don't realize they are leaking and if they are peeing in front of you it may be a urinary Tract infection. We put her on propalin for 2 weeks and she stopped leaking. She is now off it and hasn't leaked in a while, she still will have the odd accident but it's no big deal which the vet is baffled by!

My dog was on propalin for years, worked very well. She had great quality of life and no leaking ever.

Advertisement