Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino and Kilimanjaro backpack advice

Options
  • 28-02-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I’m hoping to have a busy couple of months coming up, thinking of doing both the Camino and Kilimanjaro in June and September. I’ve started looking into backpack for the Camino that might double up as a good day bag for Kilimanjaro. I’m thinking June in Spain is going to be warm so I was looking at a bag with a good back support and ventilation system. I popped into 53 degrees north and they suggested something in the range of 40-60 litres. I like the look of

http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/berghaus-men-s-freeflow-pro-50-backpack-61492.html

It seems to have a good system and feels reasonably light. there’s also a smaller 40 litre version available as well. From what I’ve read Berghaus offer the best back support systems but I’d be interested to hear people’s opinions the bag or other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

hey q&a, did you end up getting a backpack for this? I'm in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

general pack info. food for thought>>>
    more important to getting this or that piece of kit, is becoming familiar with the kit. in the case of back packs, you need to know what you want to bring in it, and figure out how you are going to pack it. i have many packs, from cheapo up to total monsters, and the most important factor to them all is not the bells and whistles, but just me becoming used to packing and using it.

most packs that try and factor in airflow, will not really do a great job. it would be more important to make sure you have a good light wicking layer of clothing on your back. after that air on your back is a bonus.

check out ebay regularly if budget is an issue. sometimes people flog nice packs on there.

pack-size. i would always go big, and use the compression straps to take in room i do not need, rather than go small and go without. this is me though, and i am big and strong enough to run about the place with a 130 litre pack for a week at a time. pick something that you are sure will carry everything you need. too many times i have seen people with a load of gear all over the outside of their packs, and sure enough, they are the things that get lost.

beyond this; all packs are pretty much the same. it is like comparing cars. they all have wheels, engines, etc. the rest is frills. play with them to your heart's content, but they are not going to change your life.

hope this rambling helps people in their choices of packs.

Advertisement