Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband

Options
  • 28-02-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting broadband in the house. Im living in Kilkenny City and there will be two laptops on the go most evenings. Anyone know which would be the best to go with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

UPC is far and away the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I was with vodafone but moved and got UPC. Its fast and cheap enough for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

As already stated UPC are by far the best broadband provider in Kilkenny. They are not everywhere in KK but do cover a lot of the city.

Reliability was an issue with the 7Mb bb with UPC. I had several of their Cisco routers and they were poor with loads of connection drops.
    Since I upgraded to their 100Mb package I haven't looked back. The Thompson router is 100% perfect. Never dropped once in 6/7 months, steady pings and connection speeds.

I had the Eircom package in my old house and while it was reliable but it did drop connections a bit and was very expensive when you include the line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Reliability was an issue with the 7Mb bb with UPC. I had several of their Cisco routers and they were poor with loads of connection drops.
    Since I upgraded to their 100Mb package I haven't looked back. The Thompson router is 100% perfect. Never dropped once in 6/7 months, steady pings and connection speeds.

That's interesting to know.

Do they give that router with the 25mb package?

Anyone on the 25mb one at the moment? What kind of D/L speeds are ye getting?

Thinking of getting UPC in over the next month for the TV broadband and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

upc are ace, had the 25mb never had a problem when i lived in kk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

PaulKK wrote: »
    That's interesting to know.

Do they give that router with the 25mb package?

Anyone on the 25mb one at the moment? What kind of D/L speeds are ye getting?

Thinking of getting UPC in over the next month for the TV broadband and phone.

Don't quote me on it but as the router is designed for high speeds I believe you will only get the Thompson router with the 50Mb/100Mb packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Don't quote me on it but as the router is designed for high speeds I believe you will only get the Thompson router with the 50Mb/100Mb packages.

Cheers, might go with the 50mb to get the good router so and drop back to the 25mb after ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

I tried UPC but unfortunatley they said I couldnt get it where Im living. I live fairly near the city centre tho. Only a 2 minute walk away from the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daisygirl

I rang UPC too, no coverage, I think they only service they city centre. I rang three and they have coverage, no landline required just plug in the dongle.
    Sorry to gate crash your post but has anyone had any dealings with Three??? Good, bad?? I haven't ordered yet trying to get some info on them

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Raver8

I'm with UPC now, and never have any problems with speed, and there would be many laptops/desktop/phones & xbox using it daily. Previously I had the o2 mobile broadband, and for what it was, it was .. acceptable. If you're not downloading much (15gb month for €20), and you're in an area with good coverage, it's definitely an option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement