Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin unemployment 1975

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Unemployment is high, of course. But the 14.5% rate is national, the rate in dublin is only 10%. I say only, of course it is still high. But its the same as london. Parts of western ireland have rates at near 19%. Also, there are still people migrating to ireland in their thousands. Something the press dont focus on. Its less than leave no doubt, but the net loss isnt as drastic as some would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

They should have gotten a hair cut lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

patwicklow wrote: »
    They should have gotten a hair cut lol

Not funny(;), long hair was the fashion back then. On another note Dublin Industrial Estate was renamed to Glasnevin Industrial Estate despite it being in Cabra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

That's strange, I didn't think the 70's were that bad as far an unemployment went, compared to the 50's or 80's certainly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That's strange, I didn't think the 70's were that bad as far an unemployment went, compared to the 50's or 80's certainly.

In the 2nd video posted by starviewadams, the girl who couldn't get a job(think she was 17), did say most of her schoolfriends could get a summer job. It probably was worse in the 80's, many young people couldn't even get a summer job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Note the amount of people who used to work in cinemas but were let go when television became more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Anyone know what the unemployment rate would be if we used the uk calculation? I.e. Classify all part time workers as employed. I guess it would drop from 14% to 9 or 10%.

Advertisement