Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Broadband outside city

Options
  • 28-02-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm moving house to just outside the city and after ringing UPC it turns out that the lines where I'm going wernt upgraded and can only handle TV.

So does anyone have any experience if using other broadband services around Waterford and be able to let me know what would be the best to get. I'm not 100% sure about using eircom aswell because I dont know what the story is with the phone line is.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Ok I'm moving house to just outside the city and after ringing UPC it turns out that the lines where I'm going wernt upgraded and can only handle TV.

So does anyone have any experience if using other broadband services around Waterford and be able to let me know what would be the best to get. I'm not 100% sure about using eircom aswell because I dont know what the story is with the phone line is.

Thanks
    i live in kill st lawrence and have imagine wimax out here and it works brilliantly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

A friend is living out near the airport, and has Wimax. Hasn't had any issues with it, other than having that Wimax song in his head whenever someone asks him about his broadband! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah i was just looking around and I'd say that would one my my best options. Mind me asking what plan your on and do you actually get the speed your supposed to be getting?

Yeah i was just looking around and I'd say that would one my my best options. Mind me asking what plan your on and do you actually get the speed your supposed to be getting?
    yeah getting the right speed, i,m on the 7mb package its 35.58 a month and finding it really good the only issue i,ve had is when it went down all over waterford one night two weeks ago have it 5 months and thats the only issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

yeah getting the right speed, i,m on the 7mb package its 35.58 a month and finding it really good the only issue i,ve had is when it went down all over waterford one night two weeks ago have it 5 months and thats the only issue

Ouch, , , That's a pretty sick downgrade from the 25MB UPC :(

• Advertisement

Ah right, I'll have to double check about the phone line. Because I'd prefer to be getting a fixed line over wireless.

Worst thing is that I'm about 100 meters from where UPC stopped upgrading lines

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ouch, , , That's a pretty sick downgrade from the 25MB UPC :(
    ah shur it does me, aint as if i,m running a whole office of pc,s from me house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I would definitely recommend a DSL solution over that provided by WiMAX/3G providers. The line rental can be a bit off putting but this is absorbed in some of the bundles that are advertised!

well yeah I'll definitely try and get a DSL if i can at all. Any recommendation for that? Considering there's gaming and a nice bit of downloading involved :)

AdMMM wrote: »
    I would definitely recommend a DSL solution over that provided by WiMAX/3G providers. The line rental can be a bit off putting but this is absorbed in some of the bundles that are advertised!
    wimax is 4G
    well yeah I'll definitely try and get a DSL if i can at all. Any recommendation for that? Considering there's gaming and a nice bit of downloading involved :)
    i do loads of gaming on the wimax and have no problems ever with it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I have wimax and its great and im getting more speed than i should be :D it has 2 ipods a macbook 3 xbox 360s and 2 smartfones running off the connection and it doesnt lag at all so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

one thing ill say, stay away from eircom broadband...

paul-2008 wrote: »
    one thing ill say, stay away from eircom broadband...
    why do ya say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I live 2 miles from Waterford on a main road , I had Eircom narrowband and nearly went off my skull, it was worse than dial up at times, I got Wimax, ported my telephone number, two years ago and never looked back, have VOIP two pc's thtree lap tops in the house and rarely a problem, and no €29.00 line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Ah right, I'll have to double check about the phone line. Because I'd prefer to be getting a fixed line over wireless.

Worst thing is that I'm about 100 meters from where UPC stopped upgrading lines

Jack you never know you may be able to get BB from UPC.

My folks (On the outskirts of the city)were told they could not get Broadband Ect from UPC yet 50% of their neighbours had it. We knew the cables were there but UPC we said they were not.

UPC also said it would cost too much to upgrade the area considering there was only 30 or 40 connections they would gain - again we persisted and told them the cables were there - as we remember them been installed plus 50% of the neighbours houses locally had the full service, so they said they would look into it.

Upon investigation they found out we were right all the time and it was down to UPC internally logging the address of the local properties incorrectly ( County Vs City Address), within 2 days they were connected up - and upc gained 30 ro 40 customers instantally !! This was all of 6 weeks ago.

Sometimes it takes putting in a little groundwork - these folks on the other end of the phone can only tell them what their computer and manuals in from of them says and it up to the customer to reliably inform them different !

yeah thats exactly what I was told to do by someone else.

Trying to find a number for the Waterford office now

Ah no, looks like I could have gotten analogue tv there back in the day but the lines wernt upgraded for fibre.

So my options now are to either pay eircom 55 a month for 8Mb (lovely hidden 25 a month line rental that isnt mentioned on top of 30 a month)

Or I can get WiMax 10Mb for 45 a month

Dunno which to go for. I'm on eircom atm and my "8Mb" is really 4-4.5
    Could I be better off with the 10Mb with Wimax?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Vodafone offer 8mb for €40, which includes line rental...

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/broadbandonly/

Forgot to say the phone line is disconnected haha

Forgot to say the phone line is disconnected haha
    i,m tellin ya!! go wimax ya won,t be dissappointed

• Advertisement
Advertisement