Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Research

• 28-02-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

I'm working on a development project for a TV drama series and need to research the PSNI.

As it's "in Development" there's no money on the table yet, but if the series get's picked up then there may well be, and I would then approach the PSNI press office through the developing production company.

I've written on many TV series in the past including The Bill, Thief Takers, The Chief.

What I'm looking for is someone who is currently in the PSNI who doesn't mind helping me with some basic inquiries. Such as:

Call signs / protocols and how they differ from the Met / do all IRV's now carry computers for vehicle checks or is it still called back as a PNC check... Current slang that's used, acronyms etc

So that when I pitch the script it reads authentically.

The tone of the scripts is very adult and includes a lot of humour.

If you click on the link in my Sig it will take you to my IMDB page so you can see what I've worked on before.

Thanks for reading and please PM me if interested in helping out.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Fatboydim wrote: »

What I'm looking for is someone who is currently in the PSNI who doesn't mind helping me with some basic inquiries. Such as:

Call signs / protocols and how they differ from the Met / do all IRV's now carry computers for vehicle checks or is it still called back as a PNC check... Current slang that's used, acronyms etc
    If there wasn't a very high threat level from dissidents, you might stand a chance of getting what you're looking for. Because this information could easily be used by dissident groups to mount an attack on PSNI Officers and Staff, you have absolutely no hope of getting a hold of the above.

The problem is not with you, it's with a section of the people who will see what you produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Shield wrote: »
    Because this information could easily be used by dissident groups to mount an attack on PSNI Officers and Staff, you have absolutely no hope of getting a hold of the above.

Hi Shield

I'm well aware of concerns such as those you raise and I've had to deal with them before. Most of what I want to know would be information that is readily available to anyone living in NI and would be of no use to dissidents or career criminals at all.

As an example: I know the PSNI is the only UK police service to be routinely armed. However do they carry tasers and or pepper spray as well?

I'd say that could be answered rather easily, and wouldn't be an issue. Quite often I'd have similar small inquiries that help with the feel of the piece. If it's ever to go into production then it would need the help of the PSNI anyway... and of course anything contentious with regard to security issues would be removed.

You may well be right of course, that I won't get the help I need here and I understand that. I hope there's no harm in asking, but please feel free to remove my post if you're concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Go live in Northern Ireland for 6-9 months, in north, east or west belfast - get a feel for the place, see the police out and about. That will help you get a good 'feel for the piece.' Really thats as close as you'll probably get, they really do treat quite innocent stuff as water tight locked out, from a security point of view. They really are a lot different to the MET or other UK services. I'm struggling to think of any TV or film with NI police in it portrayed (or portrayed accurately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Ah would that the budget were there for a move. Yes in an ideal world you are right Locust. And indeed - the PSNI have not been covered and are very different from other police services. Well fingers crossed that we can get it off the ground.

Advertisement