Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card lost and used

• 28-02-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi There,

So sad and upset today, just check my online banking and realised i was well into my overdraft. Someone had used my laser for over 900EUR worth of transactions.

I didnt even realise my laser was missing so it hadn't been reported stolen. Transactions happened yday and I reported today.

Bank says theyll investigate and get back to me in a couple of weeks and could comment no further on the issue.

Has this ever happened anyone before? My Dad's 50th is coming up and I have a CENT to buy him anything, I'm just so upset by the whole thing :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Something similar happened me, yeah. It was in December 2010. I always had my card on me, and didn't use any sites I hadn't used before for online shopping (your generic ASOS and the like, nothing dodgy) but there was a transaction to a UK address for about €250 or so. I still don't know how it happened but I did get the money back. It took about 6 weeks but that was including Christmas.

I do feel sorry for you, OP...that amount of money would bankrupt me. My dad not only wouldn't be getting a present, he'd be getting me asking him for cash :o Keep on at the bank, it should be fine, especially if you can prove you weren't anywhere near wherever the transactions happened.

Curiosity - was it online or in a shop? Do you know how they got your PIN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curlym0zzy

Hi There,

Thanks for reply.

Ya it’s not nice to happen to anyone but when you’re broke you feel these things even more, I’ve college fees and tax on my car due and not a clue how I’ll pay, so frustrating.

They seem to have used it for laser transactions in shops…maybe it was online. They bought 299EUR of stuff in Tesco (really taking the piss with the 299!) Then another 510 EUR in a EMobile store and somemore stuff in Awear.

Maybe it was all online I can’t really tell….I’m scared to be hopeful that I’ll get anything back, fingers crossed that I do : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

If it was used in person then i have to ask how they got your pin number?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Slightly off topic directly but relevant none the less I wonder why they put the three numbers on the back of the card which are often required for online purchases?

Online purchases rarely required the pin number but do look for those three numbers which are handily printed on the back of the card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should call the Gardai too. They can probably get cctv of the person and seek prosecution.

Thanks for all ye're posts. I've zero idea how they got my pin! Not even my dear old daddy knows this. It scares me even more to think someone could've been peering over my shoulder, watching.

Lady in the bank said nothing about the guards but I might pop into them today just to let them know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

yes i would report it to the guards and get a crime number.
    They bought 299EUR of stuff in Tesco (really taking the piss with the 299!) Then another 510 EUR in a EMobile store and somemore stuff in Awear.

all those stores have an online presence, but that would easier to catch the thief as it has to be delivered somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If someone finds a card, they should return it to the bank or destroy it.
    Using the cards is fraud / theft and is a criminal offense, so DEFINITELY report it to the Gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    Thanks for all ye're posts. I've zero idea how they got my pin! Not even my dear old daddy knows this. It scares me even more to think someone could've been peering over my shoulder, watching.

Lady in the bank said nothing about the guards but I might pop into them today just to let them know...

Do, and keep us posted...I'd love to know how it pans out.

I never even thought about going to the guards with mine...but as I had the card on me all the time it was pretty different!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Just to update you all on the situation.

All my money has been redeposited to my account (within a couple of days)

Turns out my card was not lost (I had it) but details were compromised. Fraud dept are inundated with this problem apparently, people selling on peoples card details. They can't tell me where or who took them but were super helpful and efficient in sorting it for me....phew

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just to update you all on the situation.

All my money has been redeposited to my account (within a couple of days)

Turns out my card was not lost (I had it) but details were compromised. Fraud dept are inundated with this problem apparently, people selling on peoples card details. They can't tell me where or who took them but were super helpful and efficient in sorting it for me....phew

Glad to hear that you got sorted out but is it any wonder that they are overwhelmed when you have recent occurrences such as the Eircom data loss and their failure to implement their own policies.

Incidentally for anyone interested Eircoms response in terms of support for customers who they so badly let down has been abject!

They have done nothing.

Advertisement