Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert 35yr old leaving cert results to points?

Options
  • 28-02-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how or if this can be done. Need to convert my ancient leaving cert results into what points they would be today. Have had to order copies of them as I have no clue what they even were. Any chart I have seen has like B1,B3, B3 type classifications, back in my day as far as I recall you just got a B, there were no sub categories i think. Anyone know anything about doing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

There used to be a system when the A1 A2.. scheme came out. Havent seen it in years though. Why do you want to convert them OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you sure you need to? as a mature student your LC is pretty well irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭phormium

It's nothing to do with studying, I just thought this might be the best place to ask.

I need it for a job application, can't get past initial application criteria without knowing this despite have years of experience for the job and the qualification they want successful applicants to work towards!!! Madness!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i'm pretty sure for Bs Cs and Ds, you take the B2, C2 or D2 value, not sure about As, id say take half way between A1 and A2

so, something like below wouldnt be too far wrong

higher/ordinary level
    A - 95 -- 65
    B - 80 -- 40
    C - 65 -- 25
    D - 50 -- 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 albe

i was glancing at this yesterday at the cao website, they have the statistics for past leaving cert results going back to 1995, ...link seems broken today

anyway, it seems an honours 1995 A > 2011 A2 and a 1995 B > 2011 B2 if you go by percentage of people who achieved those grades, (ignoring curriculum and just looking at the 'points race').

i didnt check if the C's and D's flattened out somewhat toward the C2 D2 distributions.

i remember back when i did my leaving cert there was a constant push towards this as our LC students looked dumber on paper when they emigrated, particularly to the UK where 'straight A's' for example were much more common due to combining similar subjects, eg 3 sciences etc.

of course its so long ago, with the present fairer system, we look dumber here now too, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

A little bit off topic, but jesus you'd know it's an employers market when they make you jump through hoops like this. WTF does a leaving cert from 35 years ago have to do with competency in ANY job this much later??? Amazing... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 albe

if you can figure that out, .....you got the job, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The way I understand it, it depends on how much competition there is for the place. Some courses have places reserved for mature students, and if there are many applicants, exam results are one way of determining who gets the place. I'm guessing that they want to know that you can do exams well enough, since that's the challenge you'll be facing at university. Having some academic credentials indicates that you aren't a complete numpty who has muddled his/her way through life. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Thanks for reply, but as mentioned it is not for college place, was for job application.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

looksee wrote: »
    Are you sure you need to? as a mature student your LC is pretty well irrelevant

Except that if you have the points for the course you want to study then you can save yourself the faff of the mature student application.

• Advertisement

Not a mature student, see previous answer

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

phormium wrote: »
    Not a mature student, see previous answer

I had realized that. Just thought it worth pointing out anyhoo.

Advertisement