Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Hardware returns policy for DABS.IE

Options
  • 28-02-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello folks,

I purchased a Mobo, Cpu, and Ram bundle from Dabs.ie. I believe there might be an issue with the Mobo. I am in the process of havein it checked out by a quilified PC doctor.

My question is has anybody ever purchased from dabs.ie and did they have any issues returning faulty goods?

Any help would be greatful.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

wrote:
    I am in the process of havein it checked out by a quilified PC doctor.
    Noooooooo! I don't mean to upset you, but "qualified pc doctors" are usually muppets and haven't got any idea what they're doing, and they're massively overpriced. What was wrong with it, by the way? I know its a bit OT but it might be a solvable issue.

Back on topic, I haven't personally dealt with Dabs, however they seem to be ok after from hearing tales of fellow boardsies. I'd check the Retailer Discussion thread if I were you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Don't let it anywhere near a 'doctor'. Just log into your dabs account, arrange a return (RMA) assuming it needs to be returned. We could fix it yet. I've had a problem before with a motherboard bought from dabs.ie. They gave me the option after just a week either to replace it or for site credit. I got it replaced and had a new one 2 weeks later. Impressed by their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

"quilified PC doctor"

Who did you send it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daveb83

Howdi.

I sent Lucancomputerdoctor.ie.

@eboggles. The back story is. I bought the p8p67 mobo bundle from dabs.ie Which included the Cpu-i5 2500k, and the RAM Patriot G2 2x8gb 1600MHz. I also bought the XFX Extreme Edition Semi Modular 650w Psu. For my Drives all had had installed at the time was the Liteon Dvd/cd-rom.

Since the P8p67 mobo doesnt support onboard video I had to use an old GPU(ati Radeon x800), which was given to me by a friend who simply upgrade to a better one.

Now I am a noob when it comes to PC building but I was blessed with cop-on so when I was physically putting together the rig i followed all the anti-static precautions and went step-by step with ASUS user manual.

When I switched on for the first time everything looked rosey. LED on Mobo showed green, all CPU, GPU, and case fans ran smooth....for approx 3 sec then powered down, and back up straigh away. Since the first turn Ive followed all Asus and tomshardware troubleshooting fourms, swapped out memory, stripped ot down to the barebones, breadboarded the mobo, and reset the mobo. everythime the same problem occurs. At every switch on i never got as much as a flicker on the monitor. Swapped gpus and made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

daveb83 wrote: »
    Howdi.

I sent Lucancomputerdoctor.ie.

@eboggles. The back story is. I bought the p8p67 mobo bundle from dabs.ie Which included the Cpu-i5 2500k, and the RAM Patriot G2 2x8gb 1600MHz. I also bought the XFX Extreme Edition Semi Modular 650w Psu. For my Drives all had had installed at the time was the Liteon Dvd/cd-rom.

Since the P8p67 mobo doesnt support onboard video I had to use an old GPU(ati Radeon x800), which was given to me by a friend who simply upgrade to a better one.

Now I am a noob when it comes to PC building but I was blessed with cop-on so when I was physically putting together the rig i followed all the anti-static precautions and went step-by step with ASUS user manual.

When I switched on for the first time everything looked rosey. LED on Mobo showed green, all CPU, GPU, and case fans ran smooth....for approx 3 sec then powered down, and back up straigh away. Since the first turn Ive followed all Asus and tomshardware troubleshooting fourms, swapped out memory, stripped ot down to the barebones, breadboarded the mobo, and reset the mobo. everythime the same problem occurs. At every switch on i never got as much as a flicker on the monitor. Swapped gpus and made no difference.
    That happened to me before, exact same thing, it was an Asus m2n32 Sli Deluxe, turns out one of the DVD drives was being a bitch or something, all I know is once I removed the DVD drive it worked a dream, but you stripping it down to the barebones and not getting anything suggests something a little more difficult :p. Have you got the standoffs in? Although it probably wouldn't get that far anyway, did you lay it outside the case, with just gpu, mobo, and a stick of ram? Don't use anti - static bags though.

Also, for a computer "expert" the website isn't exactly great, you'd expect a "doctor" of computing to be a bit snappier with HTML....

EDIT: And it's Lucan, there's your problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Hmm, I think I remember hearing somebody else talking about an Asus p67 board with a boot cycling issue...worth a google search

Yea done all the test on non conductive board and the standoffs are defo in. Done a google search and a youtube search no help from them. Whilst i did try a different generic ram hopfully the pc doctor will have different ram to check with. Otherwise i has to be a mobo issue. Ill keep yas posted.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Horati

I've used Dabs for years, both in the UK and Ireland and they are very good when it comes to anything needing to be replaced. Someone on this thread mentioned getting an RMA from their website, which is certainly the way to go once you are convinced that the problem is with your kit.
    That bundle you are using would appear to be a solid one, I'm especially a fan of the Asus motherboards and currently also use one of their P67 with an i7.
    Talking of fans, the boot cycle thing may be the CPU fan not housed correctly. I'd check the thermal paste first of all and bin the stock Intel fan and get a decent one, especially if you plan to overclock the i5 at some point.

Whats the craic.

Got my rig back from the ComputerDoctor. And he couldnt fix it either. He also tried different ram. He said he was confident its the mobo not the cpu or ram. The ram i recieved with the bundle isnt in the compatability list provided in the asus user manual.(DABS.ie claim to hand test all bundle. Luckily he didnt charge me as his policy is if he can't fix it theres no charge.

@Horati at present I'm using the stockcooler cause i havent the funds at present for a better one. I have replace the thermal paste twice. I also removed the cpu and checked if I accidently bent a pin. Thankfully i didnt.

Thanks anyway folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I remember someone else had this problem too.
    Try plugging out all USB connections such as USB Sticks, keyboards, and mice and then try boot it up, I know it sounds odd. But if I remember correctly this is what fixed it for another guy before.

• Advertisement

Yea tried that aswell. Done a barebones turn on (CPU and Ram only).

Advertisement